U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2019, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,129 posts, read 20,593,875 times
Reputation: 4191

Advertisements

For the first time since 1953 Pueblo has a mayor.

Sal Pace said it best why Pueblo needs a mayor:

“We’ve seen major initiatives fail in this community because there’s no clear head, there’s no clear leader,” said former Pueblo County Commissioner Sal Pace, who has tried to shepherd large-scale projects in recent years. “We lost a major Coca-Cola bottling plant, we lost a Walmart distribution center. We saw the Angels (baseball) organization deal with our lack of cohesiveness, and the whole thing collapsed on (plans for) a Single A minor league team. We have a lot of leaders, but when there are different people out there saying different things it makes it impossible to come forward with a unified voice.”

https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/15/p...ocki-gradisar/

The mayor elect is Nick Gradisar. I voted for him as I think he will be good for Pueblo’s economic growth and setting up the new mayoral office.


https://www.chieftain.com/news/20190...o-mayoral-race
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2019, 11:41 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,977 posts, read 21,845,984 times
Reputation: 13473
Glad Gradisar won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,129 posts, read 20,593,875 times
Reputation: 4191
Mayor elect Nick Gradisar met with Colorado Springs mayor John Suthers this week. I think this is great and hopefully Pueblo having a mayor can start a new era for this region with both metro areas working together for economic development. It would be nice for us to be one large region with Pueblo and Colorado Springs as the two largest cities.

This is from KOAA:


COLORADO SPRINGS – It was a meeting of the mayors. Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers shared advice from his first term in office with Pueblo’s new Mayor-Elect Nick Gradisar on Friday.

The meeting was held at Suther’s office in Colorado Springs and included input from his Chief of Staff Jeff Greene.
The leaders spoke about the structure of Suther’s executive staff, the delicate nature of economic development deals, and the importance of working with their respective city councils.

https://koaa.com/news/2019/01/25/sut...ndM2uSIDvez_6U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
 
2,889 posts, read 3,641,669 times
Reputation: 2222
Progress is occurring and will likely continue but a lot depends on reducing crime. Only looked briefly but his statements about crime fighting on his campaign site struck me as pretty generic and didnt sound like the very top priority.


It isn't his area of practice apparently but criminal defense is part of his firm's practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,031 posts, read 1,608,369 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Progress is occurring and will likely continue but a lot depends on reducing crime. Only looked briefly but his statements about crime fighting on his campaign site struck me as pretty generic and didnt sound like the very top priority.
If Pueblo can get its serious crime problem under control the skies the limit. Pueblo does have alot of wasted potential currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,129 posts, read 20,593,875 times
Reputation: 4191
I think you guys are overstating how bad the crime is in Pueblo especially when compared to other cities but that is a area he will work on. I think the bigger issue is Pueblo never hae a single unified voice but many voices all with their own priorities so it was hard to get large scale projects done and that is why we lost out on many large projects or companies that wanted to move here. That should change now so it will be interesting to see that impact on Pueblo going forward even past this mayor.

Also I agree Pueblo's potential is unlimited. In the future rather it be 50 or 100 years I think the city of Pueblo will be larger then the city of Denver and city of Colorado Springs but not the metro areas, especially the Denver metro area. People living then will not really care who was the largest except just for the history nuts who talk about how the growth rate of the 21st century went.

Last edited by Josseppie; Yesterday at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,465 posts, read 2,056,096 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think you guys are overstating how bad the crime is in Pueblo especially when compared to other cities but that is a area he will work on. I think the bigger issue is Pueblo never hae a single unified voice but many voices all with their own priorities so it was hard to get large scale projects done and that is why we lost out on many large projects or companies that wanted to move here. That should change now so it will be interesting to see that impact on Pueblo going forward even past this mayor.

Also I agree Pueblo's potential is unlimited. In the future rather it be 50 or 100 years I think the city of Pueblo will be larger then the city of Denver and city of Colorado Springs but not the metro areas, especially the Denver metro area. People living then will not really care who was the largest except just for the history nuts who talk about how the growth rate of the 21st century went.
Wait, what? Pueblo never had mayors in the past?

Does Pueblo have a water shortage in the future that would prevent it from growing similar in size to Tucson or Albuquerque? There is the Arkansas river, but how much does it provide to the city? I've always been interested in the history of Pueblo and the culture itself when I lived in CO previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,977 posts, read 21,845,984 times
Reputation: 13473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
For the first time since 1953 Pueblo has a mayor.

Sal Pace said it best why Pueblo needs a mayor:

“We’ve seen major initiatives fail in this community because there’s no clear head, there’s no clear leader,” said former Pueblo County Commissioner Sal Pace, who has tried to shepherd large-scale projects in recent years. “We lost a major Coca-Cola bottling plant, we lost a Walmart distribution center. We saw the Angels (baseball) organization deal with our lack of cohesiveness, and the whole thing collapsed on (plans for) a Single A minor league team. We have a lot of leaders, but when there are different people out there saying different things it makes it impossible to come forward with a unified voice.”

https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/15/p...ocki-gradisar/

The mayor elect is Nick Gradisar. I voted for him as I think he will be good for Pueblo’s economic growth and setting up the new mayoral office.


https://www.chieftain.com/news/20190...o-mayoral-race
I was at a meeting involving city employees and we were met with a mayoral candidate giving us his spiel about why Pueblo should accept the offer to bring in minor league baseball and a bunch of nice new hotels this little town city-wannabe badly needs.

Pueblo choked again.

Gradisar will not if given the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
 
2,889 posts, read 3,641,669 times
Reputation: 2222
The crime data I am looking at says violent crime in city of Pueblo is 130% higher than national average and proper crime rate is 74% higher.


It is not "the same as other places" with the except of a few worst places. Looking at the issue I saw a local TV story about the release of FBI data showing the very high crime rate and everybody in the story downplayed or denied it including at least one police officer. That has to change, imo.


The crime data used by city-data is the same as what I am seeing elsewhere because they both user FBI data though city-data is a bit outdated http://www.city-data.com/city/Pueblo-Colorado.html More than double national average crime rate when violent and property crime rates are combined. Up about 50% from 2002-2016.


Most folks don't feel it directly and there are surely better and worse places in town but the issue is bad and longstanding and needs more and better measures to get it anywhere near the same as most places.


If crime was near average I'd think some of the cited deals might have happened. It might be that some of these groups tried for too many concessions from the city, perhaps considering the city in a disadvantaged position relative to other options on crime (and possibly more). I'd think most developers would persevere if they really wanted to be somewhere. There is a difference between being a desired destination and one you'd consider if you got lots of valuable concessions. Also developers fail to move forward for lots of reasons, often more about them than the locale though a number will blame the locale and use the rejection to try to twist more out of somebody else.

Last edited by NW Crow; Yesterday at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,129 posts, read 20,593,875 times
Reputation: 4191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Wait, what? Pueblo never had mayors in the past?

Does Pueblo have a water shortage in the future that would prevent it from growing similar in size to Tucson or Albuquerque? There is the Arkansas river, but how much does it provide to the city? I've always been interested in the history of Pueblo and the culture itself when I lived in CO previously.
1953 was the last time we had a mayor.

Pueblo has enough water for a city of 500,000 people if we bought no more rights. They always are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top