Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,894 times

Advertisements

Hey all, so I have a street legal dirtbike, planning to get another one. Ive seen a few people with their plates on their bookbags in Colorado. I thought it was genius since plates usually end up getting ripped off or something when we take a fall.

any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 05:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
When in doubt, I'd generally recommend talking to the officials in charge. A lot of questions here should be referred to government officials. In this case I might go with State Patrol or Vehicle Licensing. Might get the run around but they should work to connect you with the right person, right answer.

I'd think the official answer would be needs to affixed physically to the bike. If a field officer made an issue of it, it might just result in instruction / warning about that is just a guess.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:39 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times
I've never heard of anybody putting their number plate on their backpack. I've also never heard of that being legal anywhere (then again, people who register their cars in two different states sometimes put their secondary plates in the windshield. I've seen it.)

Be safe, not sorry, and just mount it to the bike like everybody else does.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:00 PM

145 posts, read 209,771 times
I used to do that when I lived in DC. No it isn't legal, but I was never hassled about it. People do it because stealing plates (esp Motorcycle plates) is a thriving business since stealing motorcycles is relatively easy.

On the other hand some people do it to look cool.

As someone else stated at best you'd get a talking to and be told to attach it to your bike.

Hint: Attach velcro to the plate area and the back of the plate. Remove the plate if you leave the bike in a public area and are worried about theft of the plate.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 33,058 times
Or just carry some zip ties or screws and driver so if you are pulled over and the officer insists on the plate being attached you can do it right then

Old 02-03-2019, 12:46 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times
Or OP could just avoid unnecessary legal hassles and risk of damage to his driving record altogether and just mount it up on the bike like everybody else is expected to do.

I like the velcro idea. If you have a couple of neodymium magnets (old hard drives are an easy source of these; look behind where the tone arm pivot is, they're usually inside a mu-metal shield) and there's a ferromagnetic surface under the mount area (hint: get a couple U-bolts and epoxy the steel flat brackets to it; $3 at any decent hardware store) he could glue or Gorilla Tape the magnets to the back of the plate and attach it to the bike that way. Less chance of it falling off than with velcro. If you do this, don't carry the plate in your backpack if you also have tapes, hard drives or floppies in there, unless you have a shielded box for them or you keep them a safe distance apart.

Last edited by Ttark; 02-03-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado