Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:34 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,690,365 times

Advertisements

Just read this morning that Denver is the 12th most expensive city for real estate right now. Not sure I would be buying anything when your time line is on the shorter end of the range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,160 times
Thanks everyone for thoughts so far. I can see by the questions I was not real clear in my original post. Let me clarify:

1. She will not be attending school, but is looking NEAR the schools because at her age, there will be lots of others her age in close proximity - e.g. stuff to do, people to meet, etc, plus, she has connections to people who currently are in school at Northern, and CSU

2. When I said "commute" I was not speaking of a daily grind. If she lived in Greeley, she would work in Loveland at the furthest. I was speaking more of the opportunity to drive down to Denver for concerts, sports, etc- so like once per month. Not to mention getting to DIA on occasion to come see Mom! However, if the road is as described, this would not work for her. bluestar said "Sherman to Dallas" distance which is an hour, but is 75mph the whole way (sans traffic). If she had a hard time every time she wanted to leave Greeley, she would feel even more STUCK there than she does now in GJ

3. I normally agree with the idea of renting first, and do not necessarily disagree this time. It is just that I have known for many years I wanted to buy property in Denver (kind of grew up there- long story) for possible retirement or second home or income property. Having her there to live in it just gives me an excuse! Looks like costs are a tiny bit down from two years ago when I looked

4. Reasonable would be like $220k for a 2 bdr that she could share expenses with someone. I have found this price range in Greeley and surrounding, as well as Aurora, Thornton, and Lakewood. They're old and not fancy, but what does she really need?

Knowing my kiddo, she is from a big city, and though she does not look forward to jumping back into traffic, I think the other perks of the big city she misses a lot. I also appreciate form blue star the comparisons to dangerous areas in DFW, as this makes mom feel a little better!
Y'all are awesome!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Hospitality is a notoriously fickle industry. If she is a rising star she will likely take a transfer for a promotion within a year or two, or she may become quickly disenchanted with the property she is at and look for something better. My husband is in hospitality, we have moved all over the world for his career advancement, 17 times in 24 years.

Rent for a while until she sees where life will really take her.
This^^^

Get her 'International' ASAP (Auckland / Queensland preferred) sometime before age 31 (Nice place to visit Jan - Feb)

Singapore / Hong Kong are good gigs as well.

Major cities in Europe will perk her interest. Amsterdam and Copenhagen are very nice 'hospitality hubs' as well.

Denver? is a stepping stone (hopefully a very SHORT one!)

Old 01-29-2019, 11:39 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
You have requirements at cross purposes. I would ignore hers and go for what you would like in retirement. Likely it isn't someplace geared to college students or surrounded by others her current age.

I think along the future North Metro rail line in Northglenn/Thornton will suit both your purposes. She can get into Denver easily and then when you come along for retirement/second home/rental it will be good for all three. Try to not be around college age or kids her age. That would be miserable and you likely won't get good tenants if you have partying college kids also in rentals as neighbors.

There are lots of job opportunities in her industry in newer facilities on the north side of Denver and near the airport.

Here is a map of the new line (not opened yet).
RTD

Same logic applies to the other lines. You are at the bottom of the price point so likely will get more for your $ along an unopened line. But all lines are worth checking out in case I am mistaken.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,582 times
You need to visit Greeley. It's a big city (100k), but serves a very rural area, and that's not for everyone. To put it bluntly Greeley is famous for smelling like cow manure.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 PM

6,535 posts, read 7,115,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
You need to visit Greeley. It's a big city (100k), but serves a very rural area, and that's not for everyone. To put it bluntly Greeley is famous for smelling like cow manure.
I went to CSU for a year and also moved back another time for 6 months. I never went to Greeley, zero want to. I could smell it certain days, that alone made me never want to go. Plus it's further east of the mountains...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado