U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

110 posts, read 29,164 times

Advertisements

Hi all- my daughter (soon to be 21) is moving from Grand Junction - where she moved to for college- to the Denver area. When I say "Denver area" I may be incorrect, but I am considering everything from actual Denver up to Ft Collins to be the area I am talking about. She has a hospitality job with a major corporation, so getting a job transfer to any area is not going to be an issue. I am thinking about helping her BUY a condo, so it is pretty important that we get the right area.

1. She has some connections in Greeley and Ft Collins (universities), and condos seem to be affordable. Are there any areas of each to avoid?

2. If we buy, I am thinking good rental potential whether she stays or not due to universities- thoughts?

3. She may want to be closer into Denver, per, we are from Dallas and the reason she is leaving GJ is she just cannot take the small town with no viable city within driving (basketball games, museums, etc). If that is the case, what areas of Denver would you NOT want your young daughter to live in- walking to and from her car in the wee hours, etc? What areas would have more reasonable pricing and still be safe enough?

4. Finally, if she does settle on Greeley or Ft Collins, I heard that sometimes the one or two little roads into Denver will either be closed or so busy that it is not reasonable to drive into the city- thoughts? If this is the case, then there she is stuck in an even smaller town, so we could rule those two out completely and focus on #3

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Status: "2019 Year of the first time home buyer" (set 8 days ago)

10,751 posts, read 28,831,997 times
There are universities in Denver too.

2. Sure college towns have a pool of renters, so does the largest city in the state.

3. Define reasonable.

4. I-25 is in no way little. But there are accidents and weather.

Come visit and scout out the area.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

20,563 posts, read 38,316,904 times
From what I've read over the years in these forums, the eastern part of Greeley, nearest the huge meat packing plant can be less desirable than the western area.

If she wants NBA basketball then it's Denver for her. Get her along one of the rail lines that can get her to/from the games and other attractions like museums, theaters and colleges. There should be plenty of hospitality jobs in the Denver area. When I hear "major firm" I think of the big hotel chains and I'm sure all of them are represented in downtown Denver, not to mention the large and growing hospitality business out near the Denver airport, which is on a rail line.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
Status: "43 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 3 days ago)

13,561 posts, read 19,335,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
what areas of Denver would you NOT want your young daughter to live in- walking to and from her car in the wee hours, etc?
Buy a living unit with a garage.
Problem solved.
Be in bed by 2130.
Problem solved.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,744,189 times
Quote:
Hi all- my daughter (soon to be 21) is moving from Grand Junction - where she moved to for college- to the Denver area. When I say "Denver area" I may be incorrect, but I am considering everything from actual Denver up to Ft Collins to be the area I am talking about. She has a hospitality job with a major corporation, so getting a job transfer to any area is not going to be an issue. I am thinking about helping her BUY a condo, so it is pretty important that we get the right area.

1. She has some connections in Greeley and Ft Collins (universities), and condos seem to be affordable. Are there any areas of each to avoid?

2. If we buy, I am thinking good rental potential whether she stays or not due to universities- thoughts?

3. She may want to be closer into Denver, per, we are from Dallas and the reason she is leaving GJ is she just cannot take the small town with no viable city within driving (basketball games, museums, etc). If that is the case, what areas of Denver would you NOT want your young daughter to live in- walking to and from her car in the wee hours, etc? What areas would have more reasonable pricing and still be safe enough?

4. Finally, if she does settle on Greeley or Ft Collins, I heard that sometimes the one or two little roads into Denver will either be closed or so busy that it is not reasonable to drive into the city- thoughts? If this is the case, then there she is stuck in an even smaller town, so we could rule those two out completely and focus on #3

Thanks in advance!!
First things first, despite what some like to assert, Fort Collins/Loveland/Greeley isn't Denver. Not even close. I've lived in both areas, and they have vastly different vibes. Fort Collins, Loveland, and Greeley are roughly to Denver what Sherman is to Dallas.

Secondly, the worst neighborhoods in Denver are leaps and bounds safer than some of the really crappy areas of DFW - aka SE Fort Worth, Pleasant Grove, Fair Park, etc.

Lastly, commuting into Denver from Northern Colorado is a bad idea. It's 70-90 minutes from Fort Collins to Downtown Denver on a good day. Greeley's a little closer, but US-85 goes through towns and has 30-45mph speed limits.

Bottom line - try to find a place to live in the Denver metro area, if possible.

Last edited by bluescreen73; Yesterday at 11:17 PM..

Old Today, 06:56 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,653,934 times
OP,

Will she be attending college? If so, where? As mentioned above Fort Collins is too far from Denver to commute.

Also, I'd recommend having her rent for a year before I bought. Make sure she likes an area before you invest.

Old Today, 08:15 AM

2,844 posts, read 1,837,723 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!

What possible locations does the hospitality job with a major corporation land her in? Find out where those locations are, then determine what areas are options. Choosing living locations before defining work locations can lead to numerous hours a week lost in commuting times. The range you are talking about now is an hour spread at the best of times. Throw other commuters and weather on top of that and it could be a multi hour drive.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

4,542 posts, read 9,593,662 times
I would agree that she should rent first.

We lived in Longmont while our son was in school and sold our house after he graduated. We wanted to try city living. We rented for a bit in an area we thought we’d like but turns out it wasn’t for us. But we did a lot of walking and bike riding and that’s how we found where we are now.

We can hop on the light rail and be downtown in 10 minutes but the area is quieter then where we rented. We are so glad we rented first.

What is the price range you are looking for?

Old Today, 08:36 AM

3,691 posts, read 1,053,541 times
I would highly recommend against a commute between Denver and Fort Collins or Denver and Greeley. If she is going to work/study in Denver, she should look in Denver or one of the nearest suburbs. Likewise, if work or study is in the Fort Collins area, I would recommend looking for housing in the same area.

I would personally recommend against Greeley, as it's too far removed from the mountains and also doesn't provide many other amenities to make up for that fact.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

3,055 posts, read 6,778,533 times
Hospitality is a notoriously fickle industry. If she is a rising star she will likely take a transfer for a promotion within a year or two, or she may become quickly disenchanted with the property she is at and look for something better. My husband is in hospitality, we have moved all over the world for his career advancement, 17 times in 24 years.

Rent for a while until she sees where life will really take her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or