U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 12:38 PM

104 posts, read 151,404 times

Advertisements

You might check with builders in the Crestone area further up the valley. Crestone is well-known for alternative and energy-efficient home construction and there are several architects, structural engineers, and contractors who you could reach out to.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 AM

12 posts, read 2,327 times
@interloper1138 Thank you for the advice. Still waiting on the B1 plans to show up. Then I need to build a model to play with wall placements. I only want to do this once.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:13 PM

4,716 posts, read 2,394,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebark67 View Post
That is a good idea. I have a set of drawings in 1/4" = 1' with elevations. But I want to use ICCF Block using CLC as grout filler and poured radiant floor heating. So it looks like I am going to need the services of a structural engineer. I really love the idea of building using CLC but have a feeling I will need to bring in a crew to build. Doesn't look like there are a lot of builders who know these methods...not widely accepted construction method. Hell, I don't even know if there are any engineers out there that know enough on the method to be able to spec out the design.
That’s the scale I drew also, on gridded paper, of course.

I would avoid recent technologies, for the reasons you stated. We had to help our GC and concrete contractor get info on ways to insulate foundations! They only knew “what we always have done.” (Good way to be stuck knowing only what you always did.) If you want something a little different from that, there will likely be resistance.

We had originally planned to use ICF blocks also. The GC was willing to give it a shot (i.e., we would have been guinea pigs). Fortunately, they were so expensive that I was able to convince DH to use conventional walls instead. There were many other things we spec’ed that were NOT technologically recent or difficult. But if they were “not what most people here do” some of the contractors looked at us like we had two heads. Some of these things were common in other areas and considered standard-level, not “high end” or bizarre.

BTW, someone else here who wanted to incorporate unusual methods or designs lamented, “They only do what they’re used to doing.”

This is by no means limited to Blanca County. We live in a different rural county.

Oh, and get used to doing more of your own work than you expected to. So many people—including longtime locals—told us, “You end up doing most of the work yourself.” In our case, it was not most of the work but still an awful lot. One guy was so fed up that he began learning carpentry so he would not have to depend on contractors.

Having said all this, you might find a few gems of contractors. We recently discovered one. Good luck sorting it all out.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:59 AM

That is very sad. Looks like the the Valley may be cost prohibitive to build in. I'll be dammed if I am going to go through all the motions to build a house, only to be forced to live in a some sort of way-back machine. The new Tech is perfect for building in that area.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
That is very sad. Looks like the the Valley may be cost prohibitive to build in. I'll be dammed if I am going to go through all the motions to build a house, only to be forced to live in a some sort of way-back machine. The new Tech is perfect for building in that area.
Have you looked at modular homes? Some of them are very nice and incorporate newer ideas. We considered it and decided that customization and transportation would drive up the cost too much. However, your land might be closer to major Interstates (I-25) and to the modular factories themselves. It’s worth checking out because it would mean the house is move-in ready sooner than with stick-built.

Last edited by pikabike; 02-14-2019 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the idea but the property is basically at the bottom of Mt. Blanca on 13th/14th street. But I see there is a rail-line that goes right next to the town of Blanca. Does anyone know if it is used for fright or just public transportation? If it is used at all...

Old 02-14-2019, 01:59 PM

I-25 is close to Blanca.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:58 PM

104 posts, read 151,404 times
Bluebark, the rail line you speak of is used for the La Veta Pass route of the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad (Alamosa to La Veta). After some research it appears that freight traffic is intermittent between Walsenburg and Antonito.

Speaking of, just so you know, public transportation is nearly non-existent in the valley, with the exception of a new bus line running from Alamosa to Pueblo with the state's new Bustang service. It runs via Highway 17 up to Salida (with an optional transfer connection there to Denver or Gunnison) and then east on 50 to Pueblo. It does NOT take 160 over La Veta Pass, so it won't come near you in Blanca.

Also, your posts have me curious. Have you actually been out to the valley in person yet?

Last edited by interloper1138; 02-14-2019 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Not yet...I am trying to get there for a walk about this summer. Stop in and talk to county officials and maybe a convo or two with local engineers on my plans for the site. I have been using Google Earth which has a really nice HiDef scan from 7/6/18 that goes right over my plot...kind of nice of them right? I also just ordered a USGS topo map of the area. Searching for wells in my area has given me a pretty good idea on what to expect on a well. I will be dowsing the plot this summer...I hope. As for the rail line, I was just wondering if it was used for freight. Was thinking of using it to bring in the high tech block that I have been thinking of using for the build. The plans for the FLW Model B1 house came in today. So now I can start on the model to start playing with the design. I want to keep the design as close original as possible. I have a couple of different ideas for the floor plan and a major design change to take advantage of the Sun. Frank really loved the Sun and the way it cast shadows within the house. Also want to upgrade to current code specs and the use of new building methods.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Not yet...I am trying to get there for a walk about this summer. Stop in and talk to county officials and maybe a convo or two with local engineers on my plans for the site. I have been using Google Earth which has a really nice HiDef scan from 7/6/18 that goes right over my plot...kind of nice of them right? I also just ordered a USGS topo map of the area. Searching for wells in my area has given me a pretty good idea on what to expect on a well. I will be dowsing the plot this summer...I hope. As for the rail line, I was just wondering if it was used for freight. Was thinking of using it to bring in the high tech block that I have been thinking of using for the build. The plans for the FLW Model B1 house came in today. So now I can start on the model to start playing with the design. I want to keep the design as close original as possible. I have a couple of different ideas for the floor plan and a major design change to take advantage of the Sun. Frank really loved the Sun and the way it cast shadows within the house. Also want to upgrade to current code specs and the use of new building methods.
Perc tests are recommended to be done in spring, if I remember correctly. You probably should go earlier than summer for that and other reasons, if you never even visited the area, let alone the site, before buying.

The latter continues to flabbergast me...it seems to have become the norm for that region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado