U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:31 PM

679 posts, read 669,296 times

Advertisements

Blue, you remind me of myself. I've been researching the SLV for years (about 5) and finally got to visit last spring.

I suggest this book, The Hermitage at Ojito Creek - Volume 1, and his next volume. It's all about how he acquired his property and built an off-grid home. Easy read and really cool to see the steps he went through (often with pics). He lives over in Ft. Garland and has great pics of the valley on FB daily.

I was able to visit there area via the La Veta pass last spring through Ft. Garland and down through San Luis on my way to Taos, NM. It was so fun to visit the place I'd window-shopped online (yes, I've had my marathon Google Earth sessions as well). The day was beautiful and we stopped between those two towns at a random parcel of land I was thinking of buying. The peaks all around (but especially Mt. Blanca) were magical.

We stopped in San Luis and it was a very cool little town. Yet, I think Blanca would be a smart spot for several reasons. One of my concerns living in remote areas is access to quick medical care in emergencies. The 24-hour ER for the entire valley is in Alamosa. Blanca is just next door via a state highway.

The access to so many cool parts of CO and NM is such a plus. But, as you can read here and are figuring out, there are some challenges and obstacles. Read those ebooks! I think you will love them and give you some real insight about finding land, drilling a well there, solar set up (although prob. a little dated), etc.

I'm just not sure it's a place for me for year-round living. Then, as you've mentioned would invite the potential for looters. Lots to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 03:40 AM

46 posts, read 3,608 times
Hi Blue,

We have just purchased 5 acres in the 17th street of Blanca, guessing slightly higher than yours.

I am also trying to figure about how we can build there as our preferred method is cast concrete.

It seems you can get concrete delivered from Alamosa - I’ve found a company who’s been working on larger structures so assuming they can deliver good quality concrete with chemicals to speed up the curing.

Will begin emailing with the planning people soon about what we need and when and once we have solid drawings we will enquire about exact details with them.

We possibly will be visiting the land early summer.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:56 AM

3,912 posts, read 1,115,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
Hi Blue,

We have just purchased 5 acres in the 17th street of Blanca, guessing slightly higher than yours.

I am also trying to figure about how we can build there as our preferred method is cast concrete.

It seems you can get concrete delivered from Alamosa - I’ve found a company who’s been working on larger structures so assuming they can deliver good quality concrete with chemicals to speed up the curing.

Will begin emailing with the planning people soon about what we need and when and once we have solid drawings we will enquire about exact details with them.

We possibly will be visiting the land early summer.
How's the water situation?

Old 02-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Why is everyone here so obsessed with water? Well or truck delivery. It’s a binary question - either A or B but it doesn’t really matter for me, I’m not a farmer.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 2,402,416 times
Quote:
Why is everyone here so obsessed with water? Well or truck delivery. It’s a binary question - either A or B but it doesn’t really matter for me, I’m not a farmer.
You like pea gravel or other rock as your landscaping “vegetation”?

Do you know what the climate there is like?

Old 02-18-2019, 12:56 PM

Yes, large rocks, maybe cactuses. Our land is at the foot of mt Blanca so there are trees but i’m planning to have rock and a few larg boulders delivered.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM

14 posts, read 2,905 times
@pikabike - I'm probably not going to do a well anytime soon, but I will keep that in mind.Not worried about buying property sight unseen...it's just a hunk of land. Now, if there was a house sitting on it, that would be another thing.

@PcolaFLGuy - The Hermitage was a good Read but a little outdated as you said since I no longer can live in a camper or shed while building...lol. Something about the mountain is calling me though. Maybe I'm supposed to be there when it comes time to move on. It is sacred ground after all. It really makes me mad that I can not use Containers. Having one of them plopped on my property makes for an instant workshop. I want to get back to my art and I think the area will be a great motivation for new ideas...even the sub arctic winters!!

@Hyperviktor - I don't suppose the lot # was 7 was it? I was looking to get one of those lots in the tree line but opted for something a little flatter. I still might get one down the line...one never knows. Let me know how things go with your new lot. I would like to build with concrete also but I don't want to use straight concrete. Not when there are new blends out there like CLC, that increase the the insulation qualities while cutting the weight by a great amount. But listening to those in the area on this site, alternative building skills in SLV is a little wanting.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:03 PM

It’s lot 6 / block twelve, lots of trees.

Since the view itself worth the money i don’t get why people shaking their heads when they hear bought unseen.

Also, i don’t mind water rights etc. as it’s not neccesary for construction and i am not a farmer

We’ll visit in the summer and begin detailed planning then.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM

225 posts, read 107,040 times
Quote:
Hyperviktor -- I'm relatively new to the forum (been here a few years), but judging from old threads and current discussions as well, San Lius Valley has, in the past and occasionally in the present, been a place where naive buyers were taken for a long, dry and dusty expensive ride, not knowing full "well" (pun intended) what they were getting into.

Secondly, having moved to Colorado last year from Texas, I can tell you that long before I set foot in this state, I was made acutely aware of the importance of water and water rights in Colorado, ranging from rights to drill a well, all the way to simply collecting rainwater in barrels. There are laws about both activities, and a bunch more for any issues involving water. This is farming country, and water is a scarce resource that is highly regulated.

No one is trying to pick on you; they are simply looking out for you and others, trying to make sure that people are making informed decisions.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM

I did mention this but we’re not moving there, maybe will spend 1-2 month a year in there so water stuff simply doesn’t bother me - I can always get water delivered so the water situation from my side is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado