U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,537 posts, read 38,575,597 times

Advertisements

How close is your nearest concrete plant? / Pump truck?

It is nice to have water when you are working with concrete.

Some areas will NOT issue a building permit without proof of water and septic availability (through the state purveyor assigned to this region.)

But there may be options. A town I lived in Spain supposedly used wine to mix the mortar for the church. (because water cost too much and was hard to get)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 01:44 PM

44 posts, read 3,608 times
Concrete plant is in Alamosa so it’s perfectly close, could be around 35-40 minutes to the parcel.

I’d assume septic and well ( or cister ) can and should be in place first which is absolutely fine, I’d also construct a small outbuilding for material storage.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:30 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,680,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
Just purchased land near Blanca, Colorado and hoping to build a holiday home.

Anyone has experience with monolithic concrete buildings, passive houses? Is that something that exists there?

Basically we’re thinking to build a solid two floor structure with a lot of floor to ceiling glass to enjoy the views.
I have built monolithic concrete buildings, but not one that was a house in a rural setting. The construction/engineering is common in the US, but I doubt anyone in the area will have a lot of experience. The general contractor will probably have to come out of one of the larger cities on the front range like Colorado Springs or Pueblo.

The best way to build a nice house in a remote location is prefabed where you pour the foundation and they truck in the building. There just isn't the skilled labor close to where you want to build.

Quote:
I’d also be interested in crime/safety as we’d probably not spend more then a few months there a year.
The area is low crime, but a nice house that is not lived in for months at a time will attract scavengers or thieves.

Last edited by brown_dog_us; 02-19-2019 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: I can't seem to spell this early in the morning.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:07 AM

What about alarm/camera system ? Would that be any effective?

Also, I guess one could pay a small amount to someone local to check the house regularly, do some basic maintenance etc. Would that work?

I won’t have a general contractor as I prefer people not making a big profit out of my house - i hire the workers, do a lot of myself and deal with tradesmen.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 AM

3,092 posts, read 6,822,990 times
Just because you believe something should be a certain way doesn't mean it will be.

You have purchased property in an area where things aren't very progressive and people tend to do things the way they believe they should be done not what a out of towner wants.

Since you're so willing to throw good money after bad, hop on a plane and spend a couple weeks trying to find people to fit in your box in your area.

Sorry to be negative but you are the cliche we see all the time.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:00 AM

I sidn’t say things should be one way or another.

I asked because I don’t know and simply would assume there are decent folks there who’d be happy to earn some extra money on the side.

I may be wrong about a few things but that’s why I’m on this forum and would be happy to read your reasoning about things rather than being branded as a cliche.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:56 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,680,412 times
Quote:
What about alarm/camera system ? Would that be any effective?

Also, I guess one could pay a small amount to someone local to check the house regularly, do some basic maintenance etc. Would that work?

I wonít have a general contractor as I prefer people not making a big profit out of my house - i hire the workers, do a lot of myself and deal with tradesmen.
It sounds like you don't understand how remote this area is. You need to visit the area and get a feel for what you will be dealing with.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 AM

It’s a few miles from Blanca, that’s not very remote.

And it’s only 35 mins from Alamosa, that’s less than a daily commute.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:43 AM

4,729 posts, read 2,402,416 times
The attitude of “I’ll throw money at problems to make them disappear or to get everything I want” will immediately cast you in an unfavorable light.

You might find one or a few people who will be all too happy to milk the gravy train, but don’t count on it.

The people in this forum you call negative are trying to remove the rose-colored glasses from your eyes, that is all. You already bought the land, but that isn’t the expensive part.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:48 AM

3,092 posts, read 6,822,990 times
Quote:
Itís a few miles from Blanca, thatís not very remote.

And itís only 35 mins from Alamosa, thatís less than a daily commute.

Blanca is remote, Alamosa is remote and the whole SLV is remote. You really need to get on a plane since you don't seem to understand the area at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or