U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM

44 posts, read 3,608 times

Advertisements

Alamosa is a town with working people, companies, businesses, university … may be remote from big cities but it's a town.

We just got back from a village where there were 3 streets, no shops at all just two pubs and we had everything we needed. Surrounded with a few populations I think it's fine.

Go to the Himalayas in Nepal, that's remote.

Money talks - that's true anywhere in the planet. If I can pay someone to manage my place I will, I don't it would be difficult to find somebody in a poor area to do some extra work.

As for construction and such, there are some good companies in Alamosa, so I'm not worried about that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,537 posts, read 38,575,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
Alamosa is a town with working people, companies, businesses, university may be remote from big cities but it's a town.

As for construction and such, there are some good companies in Alamosa, so I'm not worried about that part.
Great, enjoy your project !
Should be a piece of cake (they all are!).

Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM

3,157 posts, read 1,583,388 times
Every time I see a SLV thread an absolute avalanche of misinformed lies follow. You might be interested in knowing that your lot is about 100 yards from the vast land of one of the richest men in America - Louis Bacon - hedge fund manager.

The ground is "great" for supporting a building according to a GC who helped me for a week-end. It has a lot of sand and a lot of rocks. That GC built a sub-division by the way - not here though.

The constant complaints about "no water?" The valley sits right on top of one of the worlds largest water aquifers. So large that it is likely considered a national/military asset. Almost surrounded by 14,000 foot mountain ranges that ensure the aquifer remains relatively full. They installed a lot of massive pumps to pump water out of the valley and into the Rio Grande river should flooding become an issue.

It is almost like the government itself is trying to keep the valley from very rapid growth. Yet Alamosa is growing pretty rapidly.

The real issue is a lack of well paying jobs, the climate is dry and the winters are cold. Aside from that - it is mostly a barrage of lies from liars. I have no idea what their motivation is.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:07 PM

1,954 posts, read 1,680,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
Alamosa is a town with working people, companies, businesses, university may be remote from big cities but it's a town.

We just got back from a village where there were 3 streets, no shops at all just two pubs and we had everything we needed. Surrounded with a few populations I think it's fine.

Go to the Himalayas in Nepal, that's remote.

Money talks - that's true anywhere in the planet. If I can pay someone to manage my place I will, I don't it would be difficult to find somebody in a poor area to do some extra work.

Please comeback with an update. I'm serious. So far we have had numerous posters in the planning stages but nothing after that. It would be very helpful for the next SLV person to be able to read your account.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 PM

ColoGuy - looks all good for me. It seems it's only bad for people who hope for cheap an easy living instead of a city.

I expect the same costs and difficulties but with great air quality, nature, quite and annoying city crowd. We love hiking / mountaineering so a house next to a 14,000-er without tourist crowds is amazing.

Brown - I'll keep posting, maybe set up a blog - just purchased the land a few days ago so for the time being I'm gathering info about permits, what when I need and figure out details of local tradesmen and businesses.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 PM

There are limited routes up that 14'er. Like one unless you are part mountain goat. Let me know if you "machete whack" your way up another way. I've made several attempts at alternate routes.

The 4WD and hiking trail up is certainly good exercise and generally a pleasant hike for the healthy. It is unusually rocky though - best if one has strong ankles. Four wheelers die on rare occasion - it is a difficult trail. My Jeep could do it but I wait for an experienced partner in case I find myself upside down in a ravine.

You can always hike on 17, 18, 19 and 20. You will also find more hiking trails, in that area, over time.

Blanca has "good granite" for the climber. I've been choppered off of another 14'er after encountering "bad granite". That was a pretty rough time.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 PM

Then again - some hikers apparently take a route starting farther north. I like to blaze my own trail at times.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:50 PM

I will get a decent map of the mountains to have a look - not keen about actual rock climbing, rather just walking up the mountains - use of crampons, rope, etc.
If it's too difficult or dangerous I wouldn't risk it. There seems to be quite a few mountains in the area so I sure some of them will be good to go up.
Have a look at Gran Paradiso in Italy - that's the last place where we been climbing.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:05 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,680,412 times
You won't need crampons or rope for Blanca. Here is the best resource for climbing Colorado 14ers. It's only Class 2 which isn't very technical.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
You won't need crampons or rope for Blanca. Here is the best resource for climbing Colorado 14ers. It's only Class 2 which isn't very technical.
Taking the most used path. Blanca is Colorado's second largest mountain. I would imagine there are dozens of possible ascents. Plus many also climb its neighboring peaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or