U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 05:49 PM

29 posts, read 2,099 times

Advertisements

Just purchased land near Blanca, Colorado and hoping to build a holiday home.

Anyone has experience with monolithic concrete buildings, passive houses? Is that something that exists there?

Basically were thinking to build a solid two floor structure with a lot of floor to ceiling glass to enjoy the views.

Id also be interested in crime/safety as wed probably not spend more then a few months there a year.

Any comments are welcome.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Status: "43 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 25 days ago)

13,641 posts, read 19,472,831 times
First, tell us about your water situation.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,360,298 times
Do you know how to do a forum search? There are several threads here about Blanca and the San Luis Valley.

How much time have you spent at your property?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 PM

4,716 posts, read 2,396,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
Just purchased land near Blanca, Colorado and hoping to build a holiday home.

Anyone has experience with monolithic concrete buildings, passive houses? Is that something that exists there?

Basically were thinking to build a solid two floor structure with a lot of floor to ceiling glass to enjoy the views.

Id also be interested in crime/safety as wed probably not spend more then a few months there a year.

Any comments are welcome.
Did you SEE your land before buying it?

Old 02-17-2019, 11:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,522 posts, read 38,554,611 times
recent discussion on Monolithic Earth-sheltered homes here:
Earth homes in rural Wyoming?

There were a whole lot more of them around in late 1970's than now.
We had planned on building one of these (in 1982), then we moved to a climate with 280 days / yr rain...
https://www.terra-dome.com/ (there should be a few in CO, I know of some in NE and MO)

I have always built passive solar with basements and never a problem (yet). 48 yrs building.
Since I watched my neighbors home blow away in Colorado when I was age 8... I tend to prefer concrete. Got some crazy questions when I built my current home with double story parking for cars. (fairly common in most of the world, because most of the world does not build with STICKS!)

As mentioned in WY forum... you are about 35 yrs late for the bargain missile silos! They were really CHEAP!

Old 02-18-2019, 01:50 AM

I’m not sure if mu question was clear enough so I try to be more detailed.

I’m not talking about earth sheltered buildings.

What we want to to build is cast concrete framework above the ground, possibly two storeys, think about structure when you see skyscrapers being built - cast concrete levels and cast concrete walls inside and the outer shell is a metal framework with insilated glass panels. Obviously structure would be insulated above and under too.

This is a very close example :

[url]http://s3.amazonaws.com/bvsystem_tmp/pages/354/original/Concrete7.jpg?1365716774[/url]

I have only seen the land on photos but my question was geared towards a specific building style - and if anyone familiar with that.

What has water situation to do with anything? I’ll have a well and as a backup a cistern/tank with delivered water. Drinking water would be bottled water anyways.

Anyone has experience building this sort building there? I have read through many threads but havent seen anyone talking about proper construction.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Status: "43 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 25 days ago)

13,641 posts, read 19,472,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
What has [the] water situation to do with anything? I’ll have a well....
1. What is the size of your lot?
2. Do you have a well permit in hand?
3. How knowledgeable are you about Colorado water law?

No one with any experience in land/building in Colorado ever asks this question: "What has the water situation to do with anything?"
Because, the answer is everything.

P.S. I despise emoticons, but

Last edited by davebarnes; 02-18-2019 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 10:53 AM

I did write it in a reply to someone else but once again : why does the water situation matter? Either well or delivered by any means. Please do explain how this is related to any detail regarding construction as I honestly don’t get it.

The plot itself is 5.09 acres and I do understand water rights.

Water being available on site or not does not relate to building a house, also I don’t plan to farm there, work there, live off the land etc. Only would be a holiday home for a few month a year if and when we’re in the states.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:09 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,360,298 times
Okay, the OP is fine with trucking in water for all his needs because apparently he knows nothing and cares nothing about whether or not he has any water rights. If he thinks hes going to have a well and a cistern, lets not burst his bubble. Even though he doesnt even live in the States, he says he knows all there is to know about water rights.

So lets not belabor that point.

OP, what if no-one on this forum is familiar with the type of building you want to build? Then what? Are you going to build it anyway?

Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM

I am familiar with the construction of what I want - I just wanted to have a chat with likeminded people and simply see their experiences.

I will soon get a landsurvey then will get the land checked if it can support such structure and will move ahead with permits.

Structural engineer will do the plans, I will only be involved in the design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or