U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:21 PM

111 posts, read 260,115 times

Advertisements

We are planning a trip by car this summer to different locations in Colorado. We've been watching some videos on YouTube, and we're now concerned about winding mountain roads with no guard rails.

We'll be coming into Colorado from Cheyenne, Wyoming. Will we encounter these kinds of roads between Cheyenne and Grand Junction, Grand Junction and Denver, or Denver and Woodland Park?

Thanks for any information you can give. We need to mentally prepare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 11:01 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,817,414 times
I-25 between Cheyenne and Denver is prairie. I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs goes up to 7,300' on Monument Hill but the grades are gentle and traffic congestion will be your biggest concern.

I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction has steep grades up to the Eisenhower Tunnel, down into Silverthorne, and over Vail Pass, and is windy through Glenwood and Debeque Canyons, but none of those sections are what I would consider treacherous.

US-24 from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park is windy with tight turns from Manitou Springs to Cascade, but it's a 4-lane divided highway through there and isn't bad.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:16 AM

4,598 posts, read 4,637,152 times
Most of the paved roads in Colorado are fine for a normal car with good tires.

OTOH, if you want an adventure, try this in a Jeep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7Nkl0pkJk

Old 02-18-2019, 10:31 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,925,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

lol being a passenger on a jeep trip is The Worst! I'm sure the driver hates listening to the passenger too, though....

Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 PM

7,204 posts, read 16,295,315 times
When we lived in Parker, CO, one time we drove into RMNP and took Trail Ridge Road all the way up to the Summit. Part of the way, there was no guard rails and, when I'd look to my left, as the driver, all I seen was tree tops. Actually, my wife cried twice going up, but she made it and was very happy once we got up on top (the Summit). At one point, where we were able to pull off of the road and get out, it really looked like we were at the top of the Rocky Mountains. It was pretty cool looking! After we left the Summit, we came down by way of Granby Lake. Not as exciting as going up, but still exciting. Heck, we even seen a moose cow and her calf, just after passing over the Continental Divide.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:42 PM

4,733 posts, read 2,404,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ View Post
We are planning a trip by car this summer to different locations in Colorado. We've been watching some videos on YouTube, and we're now concerned about winding mountain roads with no guard rails.

We'll be coming into Colorado from Cheyenne, Wyoming. Will we encounter these kinds of roads between Cheyenne and Grand Junction, Grand Junction and Denver, or Denver and Woodland Park?

Thanks for any information you can give. We need to mentally prepare.
Do not drive Lariat Loop Road (Lookout Mtn, Golden).

Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 PM

7,204 posts, read 16,295,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Do not drive Lariat Loop Road (Lookout Mtn, Golden).
Definitely NOT!! We started up once, heading towards "Buffalo Bill" Cody's gravesite and didn't make it. Actually got scared and came back down.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Status: "43 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 28 days ago)

13,657 posts, read 19,492,414 times
Why are guard rails needed? Just don't drive off the edge.

P.S. I will never do Red Mountain pass again in my life. I am too much of a sissified Eastern boy.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:06 PM

624 posts, read 291,473 times
The east side of Independence Pass has a short section that will make you grip the steering wheel a bit tighter.
The west side has a real short section where the center line disappears because, well, there isn't room for two cars.
Don't worry, neither one of these are on your planned route.

Other than those two, I can't really recall too many other sections of road that are bad.

If you go to Grand Junction, make sure you drive through the Colorado National Monument. It is spectacular.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Info on Dangerous Roads-monumentinclouds.jpg  

Old 02-18-2019, 02:08 PM

2,878 posts, read 1,877,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

One of only two one way jeep trails in the state. Red Cone/Webster Pass being the other.

IMO, any road can be dangerous. Some CO roads only look the part because of the sometimes steep drop offs along side. Except for some cases, like Independence Pass mentioned above, in most cases, the lanes are the same width as they are in any other state. Exercise your best defensive driving skills; be aware of your location in the road and other vehicles around you and you 'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado