U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 04:48 AM

71 posts, read 7,863 times

Advertisements

We just bought land at the bottom of the mountains near Blanca and would love to hear some positives about the are from people who have holiday homes in the area.

Ive read through a million threads, understand water rights wtc. but this whole forum seems extremely negative about the are and towards new people.

Were not going to live there just spend there a few months in year. Were not going to farm anything or live off the land - just want to enjoy peace and quite, away from the business of cities - we live in London, UK

We do love tha landscape and the mountain views and simply happy just to own there a bit of land for no particular reason apart that we can say we have a bit of land in Colorado.

We plan to have BBQs, enjoy the view, drive around to national forests, sand dunes etc. and maybe do a bit of climbing - in Europe weve been on some 14000-ers.

Looking to gather information for building this year and than construct a house next year possibly.

Basically Im just looking to chat with like minded people who enjoy living / spending time there but not farming or working there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 06:19 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,686,367 times
It's a great area for a second home.

The negative vibe stems from people buying land for homesteading/farming with big dreams and very little chance of it working out. You understand water rights and have no interest in the property sustaining you, so you will be fine.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:34 AM

13,920 posts, read 11,385,350 times
I want you to be happy there!

Have you heard stories of smiling, friendly city people moving into a rural area?
Then, have you heard stories of city people dressing like the locals, needing a haircut,
dirty work boots on, straw in their mouths and talking to the neighbor?

Which do you think made it ok in the small town, at the market, the diner (the imp one!), the
hardware store and the bar?

Don't be too happy, too friendly, too anything...be low key, polite, blend in

Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 AM

I’m a normal person so I should be fine with the locals. Also, am from the countryside so familiar with both the big city and the small village environments.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 AM

2,882 posts, read 1,882,961 times
The Valley is a unique place when it comes to people. Even within the valley, the eastern side vs central vs western side may have differences. My family has over 120 years of CO history, yet for some western Valley occupants, we were still viewed as interlopers because that history was not in the Valley. To others, we were viewed as a more tolerant from of native. We made some great friends with numerous ranchers and business owners in the central Valley. With the college in Alamosa and the influx of crunchy granolas into the eastern Valley, things may be entirely different in different areas of the Valley that may not necessarily align with perceptions derived from other places. Can you fit in, probably, but don't be shocked if you don't.

Last edited by TCHP; 02-19-2019 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 AM

3,157 posts, read 1,589,802 times
Positive details:
1) Sunny - solar power paradise
2) Great views
3) Healthy high altitude living
4) Great air quality
5) Growth is better than losing population
6) Lots of deer and some elk frequent your area

I go hiking at the base of Mt Blanca quite often with my dogs. I can bring you water should that prove a challenge. It might be a challenge if your access road is a rough one as some are at the base of Blanca. There is nothing at the base that my 4WD's can't handle. I also know solar power and construction. A Florida brick/block layer is supposed to be moving into a wing of my place next month by the way.

Colorado offers a scandalous amount of tremendous scenery. It really isn't fair.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Here is a map of the county: Costilla County Interactive Map

I could tell you more if you identified your area with more precision. The roads are pretty rough as one gets to the most northerly roads at the base of Mt Blanca. Say NN19th or NN29th St for example. A 4WD is required and that area would be pretty high on my preference list as I prefer nature over population density.

Interestingly - summers are cooler and winters are warmer at that higher elevation. Wish I had built in the mountains instead of the flats.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:42 AM

681 posts, read 670,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Here is a map of the county: Costilla County Interactive Map

I could tell you more if you identified your area with more precision. The roads are pretty rough as one gets to the most northerly roads at the base of Mt Blanca. Say NN19th or NN29th St for example. A 4WD is required and that area would be pretty high on my preference list as I prefer nature over population density.

Interestingly - summers are cooler and winters are warmer at that higher elevation. Wish I had built in the mountains instead of the flats.
Cool map! Thanks for sharing.

OP don't get too discouraged by the comments here. Lots of folks live year-round in the SLV and love it. Yet, most of them probably grew up there.

I think the CO posters get tired of folks thinking the SLV is cheap land for easy living. It's obviously not easy living. I'm not sure about the winters in London but for this FL boy their winters are just not doable year-round for me.

I, too, continue to dream of having a homestead there someday.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Couldn't get the map working, got some error messages. The plot is the second to East from the junction of 17th street and Oak Ave.

We'll get some nice oldschool 4WD to begin with and we'll go from there.

There are a few houses very close on the satellite maps so it's definitely not the end of the world and there's one neighbour next door so the road should be fine, we'll be visiting early summer I guess.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
Couldn't get the map working, got some error messages. The plot is the second to East from the junction of 17th street and Oak Ave.

We'll get some nice oldschool 4WD to begin with and we'll go from there.

There are a few houses very close on the satellite maps so it's definitely not the end of the world and there's one neighbour next door so the road should be fine, we'll be visiting early summer I guess.
I hike a lot and have the 60 year old blood pressure to show for it: 107/70. Have hiked that area a few times. I would bet a dollar my low riding minivan could access your lot. Its a good compromise location in most regards. Has trees (pinons) and is somewhat elevated but still easily accessible. Just getting into the real mountains. Some neighbors but not too many. One of the better areas in many regards.

The valley is healthy living for sure. Air and water quality are top notch. A lot of people are trying to escape the city crowds so don't expect an open door if you knock at a strangers house.

Awfully busy this month and next - long story that. Ask me in awhile and I can take some pics of your lot and road on an upcoming hike. Make sure to provide the parcel number so I don't get the wrong one - should you follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado