U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:02 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,900,082 times

Advertisements

My folks had a regular American style hot tub. Maintenance was no different than hot tubs they in other locales. Check it every few days, adjust chemistry, enjoy.

Not sure what you mean by a concrete tub with wood stove. That sounds more like a still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 11:19 AM

83 posts, read 12,833 times
Basically it's something you'd see in European / Asian spas I guess. I didn't realize it's not calle a hot tub if it's not the typical system with jets. The hot stow attached is a low maintenance solution that doesn't use electricity and dead simple to keep it warm - you just need to run through a pipe out at the bottom of the tub, through a heater ( usually a stove ) and inlet at the top of the tub so it's gravity driven although I guess a small pump could be included just in case.

Concrete is weatherproof, you can cover the insides with any sort of tile, artificial stone, etc. so it's my choice for outdoor stuff. Besides in my opinion it looks great.

Mike - your second link is closest to my idea, here's a god example : https://2w2d9x1nx4wttrfpn2kfrgp1-wpe...d-spa-1-MI.jpg

Although the one on the image has jets I simply want one with still hot water just to soak in the cold.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 AM

Found a better example, this one is perfect -

Old 02-24-2019, 12:42 PM

1,982 posts, read 1,698,925 times
I have seen wood heated hot tubs that are round here in Colorado. Google it and you will see examples.

I've never seen a concrete version here, and I bet that is because of the extreme cold in the mountains.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:46 PM

I've seen wooden ones but their maintenance is just to much - you need to soak the wood for days every time when the tub was empty for a while. Concrete just works and pretty much indestructible.

What negative effect would the cold have ? Apart from having to empty the thing after every use so it doesn't end up as a massive ice cube ..

Old 02-24-2019, 01:14 PM

1,982 posts, read 1,698,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
What negative effect would the cold have ? Apart from having to empty the thing after every use so it doesn't end up as a massive ice cube ..
I would guess soil heaving due to frozen soil causes cracking, then water gets in the cracks and freezes, and the cracks widen. That's just a guess though.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:41 PM

363 posts, read 528,389 times
Try google "R value" of different material. The heat loss from something like a hot tub will depend on the temperature difference between ambient and the water temp and the R value of the insulation.

Example.. open cell to closed cell foam has an R value that ranges from around 3 to 6 per inch.

Concrete.. a google source I easily found shows an R value of .32 to .55 per inch.

Ie, concrete is a poor insulator. You would get roughly 10 times the heat loss from an equivalent thickness compared to a good insulator.

Even a well insulated hot tub (which also needs a well insulated cover) will use a lot of power keeping it warm during the winter in a cold place.

Concrete... my .02.. a bad idea if that is all that is keeping the heat contained.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:58 PM

It only need to be warm when it's used - I'd have a wood burning stove running when using it otherwise would be kept empty.

I'd think insulation matters for normal hot tubs because they are never drained and keep a constant temperature.

Also, R values that low are for concrete 1" or so, what if it's more like 5" or 10" ? Also, closed cell insulation probably would be used in the foundation but would be possible on the sides too - you can even sandwich it between two layers of concrete.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,664 posts, read 38,717,288 times
let's see... Heating /; maintaining and using a FREE insulated Hot tub with insulated and sealed top... (they are always on freecycle for free for moving them and KEEPING them!)

Vs... warming the mass of an outdoor concrete tank, then keeping it clean (and safe from breaking / cracking in cold climate).

My mom has used her 'free' Colorado Hot-tub for 40+ yrs. Still works great (and is heated!)

Building a concrete HT is NOT free.

I think we have a 12YO here (trying to get points for the most topics created).

Certainly very common for anyone over age 21 to KNOW all this stuff (or at least find it).

Does Dominoes deliver in SLV?
Grubhub (Taco Bell?)

Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 AM

Used hot tub sounds pretty disgusting, sorry. And By principle I think nothing should be free - I rather pay for my things and have them the way I want / like then pickup something for ‘free’ - there’s a reason it’s ‘free’.

There were a few people here with friendly helpful answers, rabbit you’re just another one of those who’d rather post an insult than add anything meaningful to the topic. I’m not sure if yoy have read here all posts but have a look at some R value calculations and other stuff and read a bit abot stove heated hot tubs.

Keeping something clean is hardly an issue, people keep their stuff clean but everyone has different standards of course.

What exactly would cause a reinforced concrete structure, even if it’s a small one to break? If you know just detail it please because that could be useful information but if just guessing then that’s not helping anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado