U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:33 AM

20,676 posts, read 38,585,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
When I was in my 20s I really wanted to live in Breck or Frisco. Now that I'm in my late 40s, I'm really glad I don't. Check out Woodland Park. 8500 feet on the north slope of Pikes Peak yet just 18 miles from downtown Colorado Springs. We get far less snow in winter than Breck or the other ski towns yet it's just as beautiful (especially Summer & Fall) your housing dollars will go 3x as far, and we're not especially touristy (like Evergreen, we're more bedroom community than tourist trap).
When I lived in COLO SPGS one of my pals was a retired COLO forest ranger type. He had lived in Breck for many years and upon his retirement he moved to Woodland Park, exactly as you describe.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:29 PM

70 posts, read 22,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.cowden View Post
... Heís a residential appraiser and I am an artist, so we actually thought a tourist town would be a great fit...�*♀️
You should visit Salida. It has a solid artist community but Iím not sure if there would be enough residential sales volume for your husband. Probably best to check with realtors in the Arkansas valley to see what he could expect.

Old Today, 11:51 AM

60 posts, read 80,520 times
I can't imagine why anyone would want to move their family to Breckenridge these days. Ugh. Take everything Mike Weber said in "cons" and multiply it times ten.

I moved up to Summit county from Westcliffe in 2011, renting two years in Frisco and then a summer season in Breckenridge before buying my little house in Silverthorne. It's shocking how relentlessly it is growing up here. And yet, with all the problems of no affordable housing for workers and the main transportation artery, I70, being a disaster most of the winter, and every inch of open space being gobbled up....in Frisco they're even REZONING areas that were zoned for one dwelling to now be zoned for two or three....all the towns are hungry for more, more, bigger, better (though nothing's getting better). It gets old.

Breckenridge becomes unbearably crowded in both winter and summer...summers up here are becoming as hot a ticket as winters now and there is hardly any "shoulder season". It is literally shoulder to shoulder, bumper to bumper. Sidewalks are a hazard with all the tourists walking three abreast on narrow sidewalks, and forget trying to get into a restaurant without a reservation and a wait. A factor to consider is the drinking/weed culture. I have nothing against either pastime, but get eight thousand, drunk twenty-somethings lining the streets and crammed into every nook and cranny during events, and unless you're one of them, it's not fun. I'd not want my teens indoctrinated into that month after month. Many adult locals just don't try to participate in the events anymore.

The best town left up here now is Silverthorne. And it's perched to grow rapidly with the new plans for an entire downtown. And yet, with the opportunity of beginning from scratch, even over here they're filling every available space and losing the close touch with the river with the new plans.

I've enjoyed living here in my Silverthorne house under the looming shadow of Red and Buffalo Mountains, and my house has appreciated nicely. But I'm selling and getting out of here this summer. I can't stand living around so many tourists. Every action has to be considered in view of them. Don't ever drive west on Friday. Don't drive East on Sunday. Don't go to the grocery store after 3 or you will so regret it. The slopes, trails, four wheel roads, etc. are all crowded. With all this nature around, it's still difficult to get into it alone unless you go into the deep back country, and even then be sure to choose an unpopular trail.

I could go on and on but enough said! There are so many nicer areas in the mountains to live rather than Summit County where the second home population way outnumbers those of us who live here full time. I think it's losing its soul and authenticity up here. It's just a resort. A great big one with sidewalks paved with people and streets and highways paved with cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado