U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:54 AM

331 posts, read 96,465 times

Advertisements

Point of thread:
- Be honest even if it means talking me out of it- it would actually be much easier if I just got this goal out of my head

Current/History:
- Mom of 2 about to be empty-nester
- Raised in Corpus Christi, but my dad lived in Denver my whole life, so half a year spent in Denver from about 1974-1986
- I consider myself a Dallasite, as I moved here in 1989, and it is home now
- I have lived in SoCal and Portland OR, 2 years each, back to Dallas in between
- Oldest kid lives in CO

Here's Why:
- Weather: Winter can be sunny quite often, making the cold easy to handle; Summer it can rain just often enough to cool things down, and it actually gets cooler at night. Dallas is 100 degrees with 80% humidity about 6 months of the year
- Allergies: I find the high desert to be much better for allergens- at least the ones that affect me
- Attitudes: In Texas, I am often the weird yoga teacher woo-woo type, or so far to the left that I am pegged a communist. In Portland, I was like everyone else, but it was hard to find someone who could be that, while also striving for advancement (or even mediocrity, honestly), being aggressive in traffic, or hurrying in any way shape or form. This was very frustrating. Cali is about perfect, but I cannot afford it!
- It's mostly #1- I get HOT!! As I age, I truly cannot take it anymore

OK, list for me the cons. The only one I know of is state income tax off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:07 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,788,237 times
Employment and high cost of living.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:37 PM

13,881 posts, read 20,040,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
OK, list for me the cons. The only one I know of is state income tax off the top of my head.
In Colorado, Income tax + property tax is usually less than Texas property tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Employment and high cost of living.
The high cost of living is really only related to purchase price housing costs.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:39 PM

20,797 posts, read 38,916,790 times
Marsha, the state income tax may be a 'con' but the 'pro' side is the greatly reduced real estate tax as compared to TX.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 7,114,865 times
How often have you visited oldest kid in CO? CO has grown a lot since the 80s and if you haven't been here much it might be different than you remember in ways that you might or might not like. As others said, I think the biggest hurdles will be employment/cost of living.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:43 PM

3,511 posts, read 3,910,047 times
There are different parts of Colorado and different ways to experience them.

One breakdown of the regional parts:

Denver

first and second rings around Denver

North Colorado (Ft. Collins, Loveland, Greeley, etc.)

Southern front range (CS / Pueblo)

Plains

San Luis Valley

South central mountains south of I-70

I-70 corridor

Grand Junction

Southwest CO

Northwest CO

Which parts are you interested in? Pretty different.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-05-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
How often have you visited oldest kid in CO? CO has grown a lot since the 80s and if you haven't been here much it might be different than you remember in ways that you might or might not like. As others said, I think the biggest hurdles will be employment/cost of living.
I am there about 3 times per year. I have spent time in almost every part of the state except the San Juan Mountains. The more I go, the more I want to go

Old 03-05-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
There are different parts of Colorado and different ways to experience them.

One breakdown of the regional parts:

Denver

first and second rings around Denver

North Colorado (Ft. Collins, Loveland, Greeley, etc.)

Southern front range (CS / Pueblo)

Plains

San Luis Valley

South central mountains south of I-70

I-70 corridor

Grand Junction

Southwest CO

Northwest CO

Which parts are you interested in? Pretty different.
I am a sports girl, and an avid Broncos fan. Therefore, as long as I can easily drive into the big city for big city stuff without making it a huge road trip I am ok. I love the Western Slope, but would be hard for me to seriously consider based on that criteria.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:08 PM

20,797 posts, read 38,916,790 times
Marsha, your daughter is doing a relo from Grand Junction to the Golden/Denver area, so suggest you stick close to that. Getting over the mountains to see her in winter will be a tough drive. It depends on how much you want to be in GJ vs how much you want to be near her.

We have plenty of threads on all these locations, find them with our search tool.

If you want the Denver area let me know and I'll move this thread there, else I'll leave it in the overall COLO forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:03 PM

3,169 posts, read 6,981,012 times
You didn't mention if you need to work and what you do.

You might consider Frisco/Silverthorne/Dillon if you want to be in the mountains but not in a resort, real estate and health insurance are expensive but the lifestyle is pretty good if you want to be away from the city but still have access. Evergreen/Conifer would put you closer to the city and your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or