U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 40,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post

I am just REALLY worried that CO doesn't become Central Florida (you know, with the out-of-state [mod cut]coming over and ruining EVERYTHING, creating crime, bringing drugs, deflating wages, causing traffic james that last 1h each way, etc ). This is what happened to Central Florida, I love CO, I don't want it to go to the toilet like Orlando did, I want to it continue to be wonderul, I want to invite my neighbors to a BBQ and not be robbed in the process or to be able to go to a grocery store and not see drug deals in the parking lot. All I want to have a cute little house, a nice garden/yard, help in the community, work and feel safe at home, ski once in a while.... know what I mean? I don't need to be rich, just pay the bills and feel safe, be outdoorsy (the weather is much better in Co than here, I have been there enough to know that). CO becoming FL (or CA) is really my #2 concern about CO... I want it to continue to be nice. Other than that it's undoubtely the best/healthiest state in the US of A!!! Not to mention, pretty and soooooooo affordable!

Just to make sure we're making the right move to the right town, we will check Co Springs (again) and then head to FTC and see if we still like FTC better or maybe Co Springs is the way to go. I like the family-oriented, church-going atmosphere of CO Springs, no doubt. FTC is not bad, it is middle-of-the-road (because of the college), but most family folk are more conservative. It will be a VERY difficult choice, I am sure, we really like FTC, but CO Springs has the Focus in the Family and Pikes Peak is right there.... but from FTC we can go to Estes Park and ski in Eldora..... ARRGGGHH this is too hard... it is all very nice, I wish I could have a house in each scity and the mountains, there is so much to enjoy!!!

Chris ^_^

Agree with you 1,000% Chris, I'm praying/keeping my fingers crossed that CO doesn't turn into the dumps we're leaving behind. It's so painful to actually witness the downhill path OC is taking. I just going to trust our (future) fellow Coloradans to learn from California's and Florida's mistakes and bureaucratic incompetence. I don't want to be in the Wyoming or Montana forums in 5-10 years looking for another home.

Don't stress too much about COS vs FTC too much man. They both have the town atmosphere, just that physically COS is mid-size city and FTC is a large town. Find what naturally fits you and you can't lose either way!

Sherman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 02:37 PM

18 posts, read 62,771 times
Let me rephrase this...shady areas may not be visible to the eye, but if you look at ratings on great schools.net you will a difference between the schools. I haven't had a chance to visit.

When you look up greatschools.net find the comparison link and fiind a way to inform it you want middle schools in fort collins... I do it this way because high schools are bigger and rounded out with everyone...ad elementary too many... Of course once you decide on an area, still check out HS and ELem that your children might attend...

The links are not that user friendly or I am a dunce...either way I have to go a round a bout way each time I do this...it takes effort.but well worth it....good luck.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 AM

55 posts, read 197,441 times
Love this thread!! Great info. Can't wait to hear more about the SW Colorado trip. We are relocating next summer. Looking at Durango and Steamboat Springs (we have friends there). Taking a trip out to Durango end of January. Will try to post our perspectives. Thanks to all who are posting about their trips...it's very helpful in trying to make such a huge, lifechanging decision.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:08 PM

106 posts, read 396,597 times
Hi all. I'd like to add some points.

The wife and I moved from Nor. Cal to Colorado about 2 yrs ago. To start, it was not where I was looking to move. We wanted out of California, but I always referred to Colorado as "California East". My wife worked for a large tech company and it was either transfer here or be unemployed. So we took the transfer and I just had to find a new job.

After being here for about 2 1/2 yrs now I can tell you, it was a great decision. We we're renting our house when we 1st moved out, and a year later bought it. The housing market isn't great out here, it's much more of a buyers market than a sellers. So don't expect to get large returns on your house purchase, but there are small gains to be made.

We live just out side of Longmont, and it's a very nice area. Growing a little faster than I'd like, but still very nice. I can tell you that while most of Longmont is a very nice area, there is unfortunately a lot of Crystal Meth being made there. There is also a growing Hispanic population, take that how ever you want to, just be aware of it in case it bothers you.

I live east of Longmont and work in Longmont so I get to drive in and stare at the mountains on my drive in.... makes going to work much easier I can't state how awesome that view is.

I used to work in the Denver area at several places (was a consultant) so I got to drive around Denver a lot. It's really not that bad 95% of the time. During bad weather, it can be #3!! though. Then again, it took people driving from my work to home 3 - 5 hours last week during the blizzard.

Denver has a lot of places to eat, and things to do. If you're not a Bronco's fan though (I'm not) be prepared to hear endlessly about them and Mr. Elway. However there are a lot of us transplants so....

The family and I took our trailer down to the CS area, and we just weren't impressed. At least from a "camping" perspective. They also don't seem to have any place that you can take your dogs swimming... Garden of the gods... well. Do you like orange rocks? If so, great place.

Estes Park..... Next to Lake Tahoe, is one of the best places I've ever seen. LOVE IT!

Loveland, and Ft. Collins are nice area's. Greeley isn't too bad from what I've seen, but heard mixed results about their schools. Also Weld County has no extra sales taxes. Nice bonus.

Boulder... well. If you're from CA, think San Fran mixed with So Cal. My co-worker lives there, and hates the place. It's WAY over priced, and very "hip" (at least they like to think so). I don't even really like to visit there.

Out where I live Firestone/Fredrick/Dacno area the price of housing (new) is going to start in the low 200's. We bought our 4 bd, 3 bath + basement 2000+ sq ft house (built in 99) for $285K. Very low property taxes too.

My sister and brother-in-law used to live in the Junction area, they said they didn't like it. But now are thinking of moving back to Co from Ca. They said that once you have Co in your blood, you will come back.

For now, I don't see me every moving out of the state. The weather is actually really great were we live. This blizzard was the 1st time I had to actually shovel, versus just moving some snow out of my way. We have more sunny days that just about any place on the planet. When it's 40F in the winter it feels warm and most people can walk around with either a light or no jacket.

Hope this helps. Feel free to shot me a PM or ask any questions. I'll be happy to answer any that I can.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,266 times
Default Thank you

Thank you so much for this post. My fiance and I are moving to CO from FL in 3 years and have NO IDEA where to start looking. This helped out a lot. I will be an RN at that time, so being close to Denver is important
Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 37,217 times
We just spent 10 days in the Ouray/Silverton/Durango area and fell in love. We currently live in a small town SE of Phoenix, but grew up in Il/Oh...with seasons and miss that life style. I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and can say that I'm terribly confused about moving to Co. We spent two of our 10 days looking at Bayfield, Cortez, Dolores, and Manco(?). Everyone was so nice and friendly --in AZ you're lucky if someone looks at you and smiles --even in a small town.

We have our own business in a niche area and from looking around it appears that we could make it work in the Durango too. We are looking to simplify our life and have come to realize that being happy does not correspond to the "stuff" one accumulates. We spoke with a lot of local people in the different areas that we are interested in and got many views. However, we never encountered the negativity about various things, from sprawl to cost of living, from anyone who we spoke with, like I've seen on this forum.

I would like some input on your views of living or moving to Colorado.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 22,166 times
Default Question for FinishStrong7 or people who know about smaller towns

I am trying to get an idea what certain highways are like to drive on. You mentioned the drive from colorado springs to breckenridge. Can you describe the condition, safety and speed? Anyone else who can describe what it is like to drive from I 70 to Buena Vista, Twin Lakes, or Fairplay? Does anyone know much about living about an hour from either I70 and how long it takes to get to ski resorts. what are the towns like?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 68,219 times
Hi BigCheese, my family is also from the Northern Ca. area ( Sac) and are going to be moving to either Fruita or GJ. I'm curious what your family didn't like about GJ and if they will move back there or to some other part of Co. My husband spent alot of his childhood in Telluride but I'm a native nor/cal girl. I can deal with a little snow but definately think there is something fundimentally wrong with snow storms is May or June. And yes I do know this is very possible in some parts of Co. We have 2 elementry school age children and I am also conserned about the schools but it seems like as long as its small town we should be ok. Also its not like Ca has that great of a public school system. Right now we are in an alternative parent/co-op type school in the public school system but it will probably need to become a charter if it is ever going to survive the "no child left behind" debochal. I cant find anything like that on the internet but am hoping it exsists and I will find out about it by word of mouth. That is how we found our current school and it has been wonderful for our kids. It's really the only bad thing about leaving. That and our friends. I love hearing about the friendly laid back attitude of Co. That is definately more our style and the house prices look great to us even with them on the rise, I'm just hoping by the time we can buy we are not on the top of the curve and will be overpriced. That is definately the sitch here and my husband is in the morgage business. It's super depressing now and it doesn't look like Ca will swing out for a long time.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado