U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:12 PM

15 posts, read 40,221 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share my thoughts/analysis of CO and places I visited. I hope this will help anyone else considering the move.:

OVERALL: Hakuna Matada! Very leisurely/laid-back environment. People were definitely warm and friendly, I exchanged "Hello's" with several. Drivers are extremely courteous, whenever I flash my signal, they slow down to let me change lanes. Some even stopped so I can get over! All cities had their own distinguishing character.

Weather was GORGEOUS! Of course this coming week doesn't seem nearly as good, so weather's definitely unpredictable. Daytime was beautiful, the stronger sun acts as a buffer for the chill. I got use to nighttime weather rather quickly. Very tough to drive west within 2 hrs of sunset.

Traffic was there, but not unbearable, this is not Hooterville you know. Rush hour was basically just the 5:00 hour.

Oh yeah, the scenery--MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE! Traveled the majority of the Front Range and took the scenic route from CS to Breckenridge. The mountains with evergreen trees interspersed with snow were spectacular!

So it's a done deal for me, moving to CO (I chose Colorado Springs)! As far as my home state goes, let me put this in terms the Governor can understand, "HASTA LA VISTA, BABY!"

Here is more analysis of each place I visited. I'll have a more elaborate post on CS in that forum.

CS: Big city amenities with a small town feel. Spectacular setting with Pikes Peak right up against the city; trees, parks, and off-road trails throughout; and a great downtown with a diverse demographic. The city is physically huge (larger than Denver), many streets go in loops, will need a map until you get comfortable with the city. Traffic is not as bad as locals say, even with I25 widening.

DENVER: Very clean, not terribly congested for an urban center. Traveled on Colfax, a major E-W thoroughfare, during rush hour, traffic actually MOVED! The city did a great job with LODO. Xmas lights were beautiful.

BOULDER: Beautiful setting, right up against mtns like CS. Extremely bike friendly, lane system throughout town. The city center has a real packed in look/feel. The liberal vibe is definitely there with bumper stickers, infinite organic food stores, and "hippie-types". College students rule the town, if that's okay with you.

AURORA/CENTENNIAL: Large suburb feel, great homes, Aurora has a beautiful mall. Too remote from the mountains.

FORT COLLINS: Think trees, lots of them! (Except for the areas south of CSU) Pound for pound the best and most organized downtown. Students also rule here. Horsetooth Reservoir was spectacular! Was farther from the city than I originally thought. City is completely surrounded by rural land. You have to drive a few miles in from I25 just to get to the city. Traffic is arguably the worst here compared to the other cities.

LONGMONT: A true small town suburb. Main Street has it all. Heading north, the 1st 10 blocks are the Historic Downtown, then its strip malls the rest of the way before hitting open stretch on the way to Loveland. Very flat. The whole city appears safe.

LOVELAND: Smaller, more family-oriented version of FC. One advantage is the Centerra Mall right off I25.

LAKEWOOD: An open, spread-out feel. Clean. Easy access to parks, and Open Space to the west.

CASTLE ROCK: Didn't spend a whole lot of time in the town. Exactly halfway between CS and Denver. Can easily see how fast its growing. Beautiful outlet mall. But the growth seems to be big box stores and McMansions.

WOODLAND PARK: More small town than resort town. Younger people will get bored here.

BRECKENRIDGE: Much more vibrant than the typical ski town. Historic Main Street. Great views on Boreas Pass Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 AM

643 posts, read 2,227,832 times
Thank you for telling me all about it I wish there was more updates like yours! I will do the same but will be going to South Western & a bit into central Colorado.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:55 AM

144 posts, read 573,133 times
I'm a NY transplant living in California for the past 5 years and have been wanting to move out to Colorado in the Denver area. My company has offices in Denver, COS, and Ft. Collins. Your posting has made me that much more eager to see how soon I can visit those offices and see what work would be like there. California is a place I will always love, but I'm ready to leave the insanity here! Thanks for the great insightful posting!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 02:53 PM

54 posts, read 278,489 times
Thank you so much FinishSTRONG7 for taking the time to write this very informative post! It is awesome! We are planning to move there and my husband has family there in different areas so he has visited there and I have been there once for a wedding and to see family. It is beautiful and I'm so excited to move there...

I was going to ask your opinion, as far as being a non-college town and resort town but still not being too flat of an area with maybe less than 100K in population, which area would you suggest?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,433 times
Thumbs up CO gets two thumbs up (3 thumbs if I was a mutant)!!! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishSTRONG7 View Post
I wanted to share my thoughts/analysis of CO and places I visited. I hope this will help anyone else considering the move.:

CS: Big city amenities with a small town feel. Spectacular setting with Pikes Peak right up against the city; trees, parks, and off-road trails throughout; and a great downtown with a diverse demographic. The city is physically huge (larger than Denver), many streets go in loops, will need a map until you get comfortable with the city. Traffic is not as bad as locals say, even with I25 widening.

BOULDER: Beautiful setting, right up against mtns like CS. Extremely bike friendly, lane system throughout town. The city center has a real packed in look/feel. The liberal vibe is definitely there with bumper stickers, infinite organic food stores, and "hippie-types". College students rule the town, if that's okay with you.

FORT COLLINS: Think trees, lots of them! (Except for the areas south of CSU) Pound for pound the best and most organized downtown. Students also rule here. Horsetooth Reservoir was spectacular! Was farther from the city than I originally thought. City is completely surrounded by rural land. You have to drive a few miles in from I25 just to get to the city. Traffic is arguably the worst here compared to the other cities.

LOVELAND: Smaller, more family-oriented version of FC. One advantage is the Centerra Mall right off I25.

BRECKENRIDGE: Much more vibrant than the typical ski town. Historic Main Street. Great views on Boreas Pass Rd.
Hi! I am moving to Fort Collins from a town that USED TO BE the best place to live in the USA a few years ago, called Orlando, FL. It is very expensive, urban sprawl, traffic, crime, high cost of living and low wages are causing people to hit their boiling points. A day does not go by that I don't see some act of violence/rage, specially on I-4, the city's main artery.

Let me add to your Fort Collins/Loveland/CO Springs comments, as I am a well-traveled CO traveler and future resident.

BOULDER: It is extremely liberal, expect no tolerance from people who share different opinions with you. It is also extremely expensive, so unless you are loaded, look elsewhere. Yes, the town is very cute, but it is ruled by an aristocratic class, not by families or the middle class. Town's mood is certainly NOT very friendly overall... people seemd very serious, some even looked highly depressed or drugged. You can enjoy nice, clean, and safe in CO without being battered by left-wing loonies and paying too much for it, believe me.

FORT COLLINS: By far, I cannot say I have ever visited such a wonderful town. Lots of green, very clean, the college campus is amazing.... It is so friendly, it's almost scarry!!! I am one of those guys who is always striking conversations with people at the check out lines, well in Fort Collins, I was talked to several times!! It is a clean town, people at Taco Bell were super cool to complete strangers! Most town bums stay out of sight, unlike in Boulder. Man we fell in love Fort Co so bad, we cannot wait to get out of Orlando in March 2007. Good local economy, lots of jobs, not as many in my area, but we are taking that chance for a better, healthier life!! This should be in your towns to move to list as well. Consider it, it is great!!

LOVELAND: This may be the next Boom Town, USA. They have a hugh med center being built, jobs will soon spring there. Very nice town too, lots of good folks. Conservative, yet extremely affordable and friendly. Currently, it's called a "bedroom commuinity" because most poeple live there and commute. A guy I met a sandwich shop said the Loveland to Fort Collins commute is 15 mins each way. How easy is that?!?!

BRECKENRIDGE: Again, it is MAGICAL TOWN, wonderful!! Yet you pay a heavy price for paradise!! It is VERY expensive to live there and jobs are very few (at leats ones that actually pay the bills). Skiing is minutes away!!

COLO SPRINGS: I found the town to be too crowded. Lots of traffic in the Interstate as they are doing contruction. Didin't feel as comfortable there. I like the area churches and the whole philosophy of the town. But overall, I found it to be crowded, some areas of town seemed kinda undesirable to me. Didn't seem as clean as Fort Collins/Loveland, yet certainly NOT a dump. Yeah Pikes Peak adds a lot to the scenery, just amazing, but you will also get slammed with the high snowfall, whenever there is a mjor storm. Seems like Northern CO doesn't get THAT much snow.

Congrats on your choice. Get out of CaliHELL and go to CO. Just leave the CA mentality behind, think healthy, safe, and moderate political mentality and you will be home in CO! Smart choice. We are leaving Orlando for northern CO, which is wonderful!! I just hope the transplants are all thinking like you and I, trying to make and keep CO wonderful and not destroy it like they did here in Orlando.

Merry Christmas!
Chris

Old 12-19-2006, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 23,718 times
THIS thread is fantastic!

Sticky?

Old 12-19-2006, 05:39 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,433 times
Default Sticky???

Quote:
Originally Posted by votive View Post
THIS thread is fantastic!

Sticky?
You are right, the guy who initated this thread has done a FANTASTIC job writting the original article.

Anyone else wants to add their 2 cents to the info provided???

Merry Christmas!
Chris

Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 23,718 times
MC to you as well.

A gift rate this post positively was given to both of you, well deserved.

Thanks again

Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Thank you for telling me all about it I wish there was more updates like yours! I will do the same but will be going to South Western & a bit into central Colorado.
Yeah so bummed about not going to Durango. Heard such great things, especially the mtn biking! Just way too far to drive from COS. Definitely let us know how it was. Between you and me, we'll have the major parts of the state covered!

Sherman

Old 12-19-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroyboy View Post
California is a place I will always love, but I'm ready to leave the insanity here! Thanks for the great insightful posting!!!
Thanks for the compliment! My goal was to be as objective as possible and show everyone has their own place in this beautiful state. An interesting observation: Take home prices and COL out of the equation and IMHO Colorado is still a better place to live than California! Weather is Cali's best selling pt, but 6 1/2 mos of summer and 2 in of rain a year is soooo boring. I'll take 4 seasons and snow, thank you very much. And I'll take evergreen-laden mountains over the ocean any day. It's WATER--if I ever need my fix, I'll just fill up my tub and spread sand over the tiles! NOW add the home prices/COL in Colorado and it's a no-brainer!!!

Of course I should mention, nobody should move to Colorado if:
--they hate snow
--they don't like constantly changing weather in general
--they worship the beach/ocean
--they don't like a slower pace of life compared to LA,NY,etc
--they have no clue how to be respectful
--they love smog, 1 1/2 hr gridlock, a city profile of skyscrapers and 100 mile sprawl

Sherman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado