U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2019, 04:53 PM

33 posts, read 36,840 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are thinking about going by car to Colorado Springs, Co. this July. I'm a little leery about traveling through small towns on the way there. I'm wondering how others have fared traveling by vehicle from Texas to Colorado in the last year or so. I believe the trip takes about 17 hours more or less and we would be staying at a hotel when we arrive. Any thoughts, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 05:01 PM

4,750 posts, read 9,412,544 times
My first question is what are you "leery" of in small towns?

Thousands of people drive from Texas to Colorado every year. There are several different routes, and all are very safe. Where in Texas are you coming from?

Old 03-16-2019, 05:17 PM

686 posts, read 2,122,886 times
I travel between Colorado and Texas once or twice a year. It is a well traveled route. No need to worry about small towns along the way. Just watch the posted speed limits and you will be fine.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:02 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,866,820 times
Beaumont to Amarillo to Colorado Springs about 15.5 hours, boring but easy drive except for Dallas be sure you don't hit rush hour. Not sure what small towns you're worried about. I've driven it myself a few times and never felt leery.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 PM

1,353 posts, read 374,548 times
I'd be worried about this drive in case of car trouble. You could be pretty f'd depending on where the break down occured. Aside from that concern, just plan your gas stops and you should be fine.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:25 PM

20,669 posts, read 38,561,195 times
If car trouble is the issue then get a AAA membership, they'll come get you and get you to a dealer.

Otherwise it's a good drive. We did COLO SPGS <--> Amarillo and found it very nice. Staying off of the interstates is a good way to see the country without the boring sameness of the interstates which is monotonous to the point of 'highway hypnosis.'

If it were me I'd break that up into two days of driving, but if you can make it in one day that's fine too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

235 posts, read 112,562 times
Incidentally, I was born in Beaumont back during the Pleistocene era (1953), when giants such as Johnny Winter (RIP) and Edgar Winter played in clubs.

I have one thing to say about all those little towns in Texas. Mainly on the way to Amarillo on 287, do not speed. Period. Both the Texas Highway Patrol and local law enforcement don't look too kindly on speeders.

BTW, most of those small Texas towns have their Dairy Queen . . .

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

6,375 posts, read 9,891,643 times
I haven't done the whole route you'll be taking, but I've done 287 between Decatur and Amarillo about 10 times, and I-25 between Raton, NM, and Colorado Springs a half dozen times.

The aforementioned part of 287 is 4-lanes, very heavily traveled, and near-freeway standard, but as others have said there are a handful of places where it goes through towns and the speed limit goes down quickly. Be especially vigilant going through Estelline. It's a notorious speed trap. The town's budget is funded almost exclusively through speeding tickets. The scenery really changes once you get out of Wichita Falls and again as you drive up onto the Llano Estacado outside Estelline.

I-25 between Ration and the Springs is a piece of cake. Raton Pass is the highest point of your trip, but it's only 7800'. The rest of the route stays well east of the mountains.

I'd break it up into two days as well. There are plenty of hotels in Amarillo, but the area along I-40 was kinda rough the one time we stayed there. Dalhart may be a better choice.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

235 posts, read 112,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I haven't done the whole route you'll be taking, but I've done 287 between Decatur and Amarillo about 10 times, and I-25 between Raton, NM, and Colorado Springs a half dozen times.

The aforementioned part of 287 is 4-lanes, very heavily traveled, and near-freeway standard, but as others have said there are a handful of places where it goes through towns and the speed limit goes down quickly. Be especially vigilant going through Estelline. It's a notorious speed trap. The town's budget is funded almost exclusively through speeding tickets. The scenery really changes once you get out of Wichita Falls and again as you drive up onto the Llano Estacado outside Estelline.

I-25 between Ration and the Springs is a piece of cake. Raton Pass is the highest point of your trip, but it's only 7800'. The rest of the route stays well east of the mountains.

I'd break it up into two days as well. There are plenty of hotels in Amarillo, but the area along I-40 was kinda rough the one time we stayed there. Dalhart may be a better choice.
When I lived in Plano, my wife and I used to take four-day long weekend trips to Taos, NM. We probably did this fourteen times or so.

Estelline -- I rarely get tickets, but I got one there. I think you are going 70 miles an hour, and you have to shut down quickly to 55. It's ironic, because Estelline, IIRC, doesn't have a single open business that borders on 287. The cop who used to nab people was right out of the movies.

He wore a baseball cap and mirror sunglasses. His "cop" car wasn't a standard sedan -- I think it was a sports car. He wore a cop shirt and blue jeans.

After that one time, I was always on the lookout, and I never once again ever saw him or any speed trap. Don't quote me, but that was my experience.

Don't underestimate the highway patrol. They aren't into "courtesy" stops.

Old Today, 08:04 PM

33 posts, read 36,840 times
Thanks a lot folks, I appreciate al your responses, and you all have helped me decide what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or