Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 21,626 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We will have an opportunity to move to a ski town this summer. We are researching Breckenridge. There is a house off of 9 in the highlands we have been eyeing. We have a 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter. My husband works from home. Can anyone tell me a little bit about the current scene there? Schools/political environment (we lean right, but like things quiet and not up in our faces, as we don’t throw our. opinions around either.) We are moving from Fayetteville, AR. Our seasons are pretty comparable, except we do not get as much snow. Other areas of interest have been silverthorne, snowmass/basalt area. I am 40 and hubs is 41. Thanks so much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 07:43 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
Are you just staying for the summer or permanently?

If it's permanent, visit first, it's nothing like anywhere in Arkansas.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:14 AM

It’s permanent�� and we are in need of a change. How is it different?

We visit CO 3-4 times a year. We try to get out there as much as possible I have only been to Breck once. It seems like it is closer to other options for entertainment VS aspen area.

We live a very laid back life style here. We try to live outside as much as we can. The weather here is humid which makes the cold climate feel much colder and the hot climate much hotter:/

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-28-2019 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Merged 3:1

Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Have you checked out other small towns that are not ski areas?

Old 02-28-2019, 10:35 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Breckenridge is at 9600', Frisco is a little over 9000'. There is a lot to learn about mountain living. It is not for everyone.
I don't live in Breckenridge but I live in the mountains ~7,000'. It took me a few months to acclimate and I didn't come from 1400'.

I had to chuckle at "Our seasons are pretty comparable". No, they are not. Winter is a very long season. Spring and summer are short; basically from mid to end of May to the end of August. September is autumn (if you're lucky). You'd better like snow because Breck gets a TON of it.
Hopefully you've visited this site https://www.townofbreckenridge.com/l...n-breckenridge
You may want to read this thread Real problems of living in Breckenridge?

I stayed in Breck for a summer after ski season ended. It's a cliquey town because the population is transient. It's a tourist town so you'd better enjoy lots of traffic, crowded restaurants, etc.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.cowden View Post
Hi everyone! We will have an opportunity to move to a ski town this summer. We are researching Breckenridge. There is a house off of 9 in the highlands we have been eyeing. We have a 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter. My husband works from home. Can anyone tell me a little bit about the current scene there? Schools/political environment (we lean right, but like things quiet and not up in our faces, as we don’t throw our. opinions around either.) We are moving from Fayetteville, AR. Our seasons are pretty comparable, except we do not get as much snow. Other areas of interest have been silverthorne, snowmass/basalt area. I am 40 and hubs is 41. Thanks so much for any help.
The seasons are not comparable at all! Breckenridge is at 9600 ft, I only live at 8000’ and even here the winter winds can take your head off, plus the snow sticks around a lot longer than down the hill in Denver. Living in Breck would be a lot of fun but be prepared for 5 months of serious winter. Just saying.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:56 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
In the 2018 election, Summit County was [roughly] 65/35 Dem/Rep. https://results.enr.clarityelections...eb02.222611/#/
Blue.
And, those on the right are more likely libertarian than Trump supporters.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.cowden View Post
It’s permanent
https://www.townofbreckenridge.com/l...brook-cemetery

Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 AM

🤪😂😂😂

I might need that link sooner than later!����*♀️��

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-28-2019 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 02-28-2019, 11:48 AM

I only mean the seasons are comparable in length spring-fall (mid May-sept/ sometimes it’s mild here in October if we are lucky sometimes we have freezing rain by Halloween) and the fact that we both experience all 4 seasons (although ours are rather volatile, freezing with ice and rain one day and 50 degrees the next and smoldering heat in the summer 90 in July Aug with some great humidity) our motto is if you hate the weather here give it 24hrs. I understand we will be moving into much higher altitude and there will be an adjustment period.

How does it differ from traveling there?

We visit 4/5 times a year and the change doesn’t seem to bother any of us.

What can we expect from daily living?

Are the school districts good there?

We’ve also looked at Genesee/ golden/ snowmass/aspen area.

Oh and thanks for the replies!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado