U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 208 times

Advertisements

This will be my first and last roadtrip out of state with my friends before I move back to my country. I was wondering which route is a best way to Colorado. From the google map it was showing I10 to 83 at Junction and to Ballinger, 153 to sweet water, 84 to Lubbock, 27 to Amarillo, 87 to Raton, and 25 to Colorado Springs. Just wondering if this is the best route to take? And is there any cbp checkpoints along the way and the way back? I had horrible experience on my trip to McAllen with my priest at the checkpoint at 281. I want to avoid this and enjoy my last trip in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 11:28 AM

10,810 posts, read 29,036,899 times
Check out the CO Department of Transportation website www.cotrip.org

Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM

3,022 posts, read 3,762,942 times
That sounds like a reasonable routing. You could stay on 84 at Lubbock all the way to Las Vegas NM or take I-40 from Amarillo to I-25. These alternatives might be a bit more miles in exchange for Interstate speed and services. I don't think one is clearly better.

Keep 1/2 tank of gas as much as possible especially on the smaller roads. There are spots where it may be 50-100 miles between stations.

This https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit...or_checkpoints
says all Border Patrol stations are within 75 miles of the border with Mexico. So you shouldn't see any north of San Antonio unless there is some sort of special enforcement activity.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-21-2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 01:14 PM

859 posts, read 1,289,508 times
That is the route I routinely take to visit my parents in San Antonio. One of the best hotel deals I've ever had was in Snyder TX in a brand-new Hampton Inn for much less than in Childress.

When you return, ensure that you are *super vigilant* with your speed- because of marijuana, there are a lot more stops for people leaving CO with non-CO plates. I know that may be a bit of urban lore, but better to be safe than sorry.

One of my favorite places to visit is Capulin Volcano in New Mexico, especially if you are a fan of geology; it's a National Monument. When you go to the top of the volcano you can see the lava flows emanating out from the volcano. I also enjoy the drive just north of Amarillo. There are some local museums I'd like to visit in the Panhandle that are about the Dust Storms of the '30s that ravaged that area (Dumas/Dalhart, etc).

NW Crow, you are so spot-on. For whatever reason, whenever I'd leave Sweetwater I'd think I wouldn't need to fill up my tank with gasoline. Biting nails for a while after. Did it twice, I hope I've learned my lesson!!

Old Today, 09:05 PM

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
That is the route I routinely take to visit my parents in San Antonio. One of the best hotel deals I've ever had was in Snyder TX in a brand-new Hampton Inn for much less than in Childress.

When you return, ensure that you are *super vigilant* with your speed- because of marijuana, there are a lot more stops for people leaving CO with non-CO plates. I know that may be a bit of urban lore, but better to be safe than sorry.

One of my favorite places to visit is Capulin Volcano in New Mexico, especially if you are a fan of geology; it's a National Monument. When you go to the top of the volcano you can see the lava flows emanating out from the volcano. I also enjoy the drive just north of Amarillo. There are some local museums I'd like to visit in the Panhandle that are about the Dust Storms of the '30s that ravaged that area (Dumas/Dalhart, etc).

NW Crow, you are so spot-on. For whatever reason, whenever I'd leave Sweetwater I'd think I wouldn't need to fill up my tank with gasoline. Biting nails for a while after. Did it twice, I hope I've learned my lesson!!
Was there any checkpoints between this route on the way to Colorado Springs and way back to San Antonio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or