Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 04:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

I lived in Denver for several years when I in my twenties. I'm quite a bit older now and have come to appreciate the advantages of a little extra firepower in protecting my wife and myself while traveling. We are planning a trip back to Colorado for several weeks and I am wondering if the gun laws there allow me to carry a handgun in the car with me while traveling away from home, without getting a permit, as is allowed in my home state.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 04:30 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Have you checked TX/CO reciprocity?

You must familiarize yourself with Denver's carry restrictions. They are limited enough that even my active LE friends from here in Wyoming will not carry in Denver, although they do in the rest of CO.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Doing some of my own research....

This website What Are the Gun Laws in Colorado? indicates:

Quote:
Carrying:
  • It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed on or about one's person without a permit, except for a person in their dwelling, place of business, or on property owned or controlled by him or her.
  • A permit is not required to carry a handgun where carrying firearms is legal, if the handgun is not concealed.
  • A handgun is not considered concealed if it is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who is carrying it for a legal use, or the handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.
  • It is unlawful to possess a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
AND:

Quote:
Colorado State Patrol

Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawful protection of such person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105(2)] Colorado law also allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, you cannot carry the weapon concealed on or about your person while transporting it into your home, business, hotel room, etc. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon.

If I'm traveling through Colorado with a weapon, Can I Have it in my vehicle?

Colorado law allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawful protection of such a person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105 {2}]. Colorado law allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, you cannot carry the weapon concealed on or about your person while transporting it into your home, business, hotel room, etc. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6].

What is Colorado's Out of State Permit Reciprocity?

A permit to carry a concealed weapon that is issued to a person (who is at least 21 years of age) by another state will be considered valid in Colorado if the other state, in turn, recognized Colorado's concealed handgun permits. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6]
BUT:

I would hate to miss anything, so please comment if you have anything to add. Thanks, ... R

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-10-2010 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Have you checked TX/CO reciprocity?

You must familiarize yourself with Denver's carry restrictions. They are limited enough that even my active LE friends from here in Wyoming will not carry in Denver, although they do in the rest of CO.
Thank you Sunsprit for your response. I don't plan on carrying in Denver so that is not a problem. But will be in Littleton, Evergreen, Estes Park and between.

Yes according to this site Colorado Department of Public Safety

Colorado has reciprocity with my home state for "Permits", however my home state does not require a "permit" to carry in a vehicle while traveling overnight away from home, so the correct answer is a little unclear to me.

Thank you for your help.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 28,497 times
In a nutshell, do I need to have a concealed carry permit to have a revolver (unloaded) in my car while I work? I drive daily and would like to have it available for protection if needed. I travel throughout the metro area, not only Denver county.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 26,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry0 View Post
In a nutshell, do I need to have a concealed carry permit to have a revolver (unloaded) in my car while I work? I drive daily and would like to have it available for protection if needed. I travel throughout the metro area, not only Denver county.
Short answer: No, you don't need a carry permit.

You can have a gun, loaded, in your car in Denver. Long guns aren't allowed to have a round in the chamber anywhere in the state, but the magazine can be loaded. Silly, huh? Everywhere in the state except Denver, Boulder, and I believe Aspen, you can open carry a sidearm*. I don't, since it's bloody hard to know when you've crossed from Aurora or other cities to Denver, and simply not worth the hassle.

This is not legal advice, but my (limited) understanding of the increasingly complex gun laws. Thanks a whole lot, Denver. Schmucks.

* so much for the state Constitution, which specifically says that municipalities are NOT to make their own gun laws. Boulder's is being challenged. Denver's was challenged, I believed, and somehow still allowed to stand.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:45 AM

7 posts, read 33,043 times
You can still have a bad day if an LEO's understanding of the law is different than, or inferior to, your own.

But in your home, car, or RV you do not need a permit to have a loaded firearm. Only to carry concealed.

When you are transporting a firearm without a permit to carry concealed, you are required to use a gun case. Even my local sheriff could not define to me what a gun case was, legally. It doesn't have to be locked

Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Get a biometric handgun case. Easy open and always locked for LE.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 23,460 times
Default Flying into Denver

Hope someone can help. Im flying into Denver next week and planning on bringing a handgun. We will be traveling into Utah of which I have a non resident permit. Will there be any problem transporting my firearm through the airport, We will be renting a vehicle and driving to Utah, From what I have read here looks like transporting a firearm in Colorado in a locked gun case is not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado