U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:54 AM

3 posts, read 533 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our son who recently graduated from college has received a job offer from Vail Resorts.

We are from Florida so it would be a great investment for him to travel across country, get the car ready, and be prepared for cold weather. We really have nothing for cold weather.

He wants the job but rents seem to be so expensive. Most apartments we have seen in our research are about 50% of his salary per month and along with his college loans and living expenses his salary just wouldn’t be able to support the Vail opportunity.

He doesn’t want roommates again. He just interned in KY and he had roommates there and wants some space of his own.

Does anyone have any suggestions where he could find a studio apartment not far from Vail Resort?

Thank you��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 04:15 AM

1,039 posts, read 498,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual wizard View Post
Hello,

Our son who recently graduated from college has received a job offer from Vail Resorts.

We are from Florida so it would be a great investment for him to travel across country, get the car ready, and be prepared for cold weather. We really have nothing for cold weather.

He wants the job but rents seem to be so expensive. Most apartments we have seen in our research are about 50% of his salary per month and along with his college loans and living expenses his salary just wouldn’t be able to support the Vail opportunity.

He doesn’t want roommates again. He just interned in KY and he had roommates there and wants some space of his own.

Does anyone have any suggestions where he could find a studio apartment not far from Vail Resort?

Thank you��
I lived in Colorado for four years and worked in Boulder and Denver. I also lived in Florida for over a decade - mostly in the FL Panhandle but also at Fort Lauderdale for a year. The cost of living in Vail is (1) high, (2) the ski town is small just off of I-70 and very isolated, (3) the male-female ratio is horrible for guys - a guy can expect many dateless weekends with the ultra-massive competition. Think of Jim Carrey's character in Aspen, CO when he said "So you're telling me there's a chance" when the love of his life already had a husband - such is the "norm" in Colorado due to men grossly outnumbering the women. For females, it has the inverse effect - "raining men" - lol.

I would recommend (1) the I-4 corridor locally in FL or (2) Austin/San Antonio, TX or (3) Phoenix, AZ. The job market is friendly in those areas for recent college graduates with good salaries and lower cost of living. There was a story about an MBA in Austin who paid off about $100,000 of student loans in a few years. I went to both FSU and UF for graduate school and know that the I-4 corridor is very popular and lucrative for many recent graduates of both FSU and UF. It also has the social life, night life, theme parks, beaches, and general activities that give good options for young adults.

Vail is kind of a hard area to live for a recent college graduate with not much to do other than ski or go hiking. The exception would be if the relocatee is willing to live with roommates and is an avid, ultra-competitive cross country runner. Then Vail, CO is ideal for high-altitude training. When I lived in FL and ran half marathons I noticed the winner was often someone from Colorado who just came down to sea level to compete (and very effectively). Vail, Leadville, Steamboat Springs, and other mountain towns have many elite runners and mountain bikers. Someone born and raised in FL may not have the VO2 max capability to live at that altitude though. It's not uncommon for marathon running champions from sea level to not even finish a mountain trail race because it's so high.

I loved mountain running in Vail. I was in my athletic prime back around 2000 and ran many races in that area. Mt. Elbert was awesome. But the Denver job market crashed in 2001-2002 which forced me to move to FL. I lost my VO2 max and mountain running ability but got to experience the dating life of FSU which was much better than Denver or Boulder - lol.

I would recommend the I-4 corridor or Texas for starters. Just interview via skype or goto meeting. The job market is roaring right now. Use these websites and check the company's reputation with glassdoor.

linkedin.com
dice.com
indeed.com
glassdoor.com

Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 AM

5,209 posts, read 7,012,409 times
I just think he might have to have roommates to make it affordable.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,953,268 times
Vail is a resort. It is populated primarily by people visiting for short durations or the very well off who own the multi-million dollar homes. This tends to mean rents are very, very expensive. Only cheaper living will be outside of Vail itself, west on I-70 probably. Minturn, Avon, Edwards, Wolcott, etc should be explored. The commute from these places into Vail will not be as bad as points east. While on a map places like Copper Mtn, Frisco, and Silverthorn appear to be closer, the reality is they have to go over Vail Pass and deal with traffic from the Denver area on weekends.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:49 AM

11,176 posts, read 42,582,552 times
With Vail proper being a resort town, most of the rental housing has been built out to cater to the tourists.

So most of the affordable in-town "worker bee" housing there of years past has been remodeled/redeveloped to accommodate the demand for far higher revenue potential of the tourist trade.

The usual housing solution for single folk in the area to afford close-in housing is by having roommates to split the costs.

The alternative is to find housing "down valley", which will still be relatively expensive for a single person surviving on one wage-earning job. Commuting to a Vail job will then best be done by the public bus transportation system to the Vail Transportation Center, which is walking distance to much of the TOV center jobs, or has the local circulator in-town buses (free).

VR has connections to worker housing, so that would be the first place for him to ask about housing. Otherwise, there are a fair number of property management/real estate companies in the area who manage rental properties that cater to worker housing. And there are the postings on bulletin boards in local stores or ads in the Vail Daily to check out.

Your son may also find it common for many "worker bee" folk in the area to work two jobs, such as a daytime VR job and then a part-time job in another area of the hospitality industry (preferably one which has opportunities for tips). In my experience, few young folk today get to do much skiing in the pursuit of that idealized "ski bum" lifestyle.

Many worker bees for the resort/hospitality business will find that they need to work so many hours in ski season to make a living that skiing is secondary to survival there. Even those with a season ski pass as part of their compensation package may find their opportunities to ski quite limited. Most have discovered that they can actually do more skiing by taking a higher paying job out of the area and visiting for skiing when they want to do so.

In all candor, I'd tell your son that unless he is willing to spend a year or two in the "ski bum" lifestyle in never-never land with a real career on hold, his post-college career path would more likely benefit from finding a "real" job somewhere else. Very few worker bee jobs in the resort towns pay enough or offer the opportunities to do much more than mark time in place.

As an East Vail landlord catering to the worker bee class for decades, I've seen hundreds "come and go" through the years. Even my professional job-holding tenants (such as RN's) rarely lasted very long in the pursuit of "living the dream" of a resort area lifestyle. Only two have survived for decades in the area … both needing housemates to keep their living costs low, and working multiple jobs each year to just make living expenses and survive; neither had time for skiing. Both fell into some money as part-time real estate agents and those earnings allowed them to get ahead. When you're living on a low-cost basis in the area, a couple $5-figure commissions in a year are a game-changer.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-02-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 10:17 AM

3,049 posts, read 3,780,027 times
Your son should ask VR and pootential co-workers for affordable housing options. I dunno if he might qualify now or later for VR sponsored housing but he should know what that path is like (possible or near impossible). Explore further options here https://www.google.com/search?client...rdable+housing

There are a few opportunities near $1000 per month here. https://rockies.craigslist.org/searc...c=1&query=vail More between 1200-1600.

What is the most he is willing, able to pay?

Old 04-02-2019, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 533 times
Hello,

Thank you for the responses.

He doesn’t ski and is really only here for the job experience. He’s s Recording Arts major so he would be responsible for audio and video for meetings and conventions and live music.

We are aware of jobs in Florida and he has pursued those but none have come to fruition and we are on the east coast 2.5 hours from Orlando.

The Vail job is not hospitality. It was viewed as an adventure and an opportunity to use his degree,

I was seeking suggestions for specific locations. We learned of an apartment complex under Construction called Wintergreen in Vail. But it won’t be finished until August and we are not sure if he will be eligible for a studio apartment which apparently will be based upon a sliding scale income rate. We can’t find out any info in this complex either so we don’t even know if he could afford this low income rental facility.

Thank you for your feedback.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:02 PM

668 posts, read 324,275 times
Look in Leadville. That is where many of the folks who work in Vail, but can't afford it live.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:00 PM

3,145 posts, read 6,907,632 times
He may be working for VR but where is he actually working? Vail, Avon, Beaver Creek? It makes a big difference because if he isn't actually working in Vail there is no reason to live there. Forget getting into a complex that is being built, there are locals in front of him and if any construction is actually completed on time here the world would end. He should be able to get into VR employee housing at least for the summer to save some money and find a place to live, it's a good deal in the summer and not nearly as crowded as the winter time.

VR pay is pretty low for the area, he will have to compromise and still expect to pick up a second job. The going rates for a bedroom in a shared apartment in Vail are $1200-$1500, Eagle-Vail, Minturn, Avon, Edwards drops a bit to about $800-$1100, Eagle, Gypsum $700-$900. Finding a lock off will run $1200-$2000 depending on the area.

He should get on the FB page Eagle County Classifieds that is where most things get posted, lots of stuff on craigslist is a scam and if it sounds too good to be true it is. He can also look at River Run apartments in Eagle-Vail, Buffalo Ridge in Avon and a place called The House in Eagle. We don't have many managed complexes here, most are private landlords, some are good and some are terrible, he needs to research them carefully be it private or managed.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:02 PM

5,043 posts, read 8,068,970 times
Question Is job at resort or corp office ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual wizard View Post
Hello,

Thank you for the responses.

He doesnít ski and is really only here for the job experience. Heís s Recording Arts major so he would be responsible for audio and video for meetings and conventions and live music.

We are aware of jobs in Florida and he has pursued those but none have come to fruition and we are on the east coast 2.5 hours from Orlando.

The Vail job is not hospitality. It was viewed as an adventure and an opportunity to use his degree,

I was seeking suggestions for specific locations. We learned of an apartment complex under Construction called Wintergreen in Vail. But it wonít be finished until August and we are not sure if he will be eligible for a studio apartment which apparently will be based upon a sliding scale income rate. We canít find out any info in this complex either so we donít even know if he could afford this low income rental facility.

Thank you for your feedback.
Is the job actually based in Vail ? VR's corporate office is in Broomfield CO, half way between Denver and Boulder.

Contact Vail Resorts Corporate Offices - All General Inquiries
390 Interlocken Crescent
Broomfield, Colorado 80021
phone 303.404.1800
fax 303.404.6415
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado