U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 AM

14,542 posts, read 11,691,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Things people can overlook:
Hospitals and easy access to medical care
Good grocery shopping
Interesting, non chain, restaurants
Things to do in all seasons
Community feel, liberal, conservative, non welcoming of outsiders, etc
Availability of internet, weird, but if too rural, good luck
Excellent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 07:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,921 posts, read 39,114,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Things people can overlook:
Hospitals and easy access to medical care
Good grocery shopping
Interesting, non chain, restaurants
Things to do in all seasons
Community feel, liberal, conservative, non welcoming of outsiders, etc
Availability of internet, weird, but if too rural, good luck
LauraC on retirement forum has a great checklist,

I made a weighted spreadsheet of musts and wants (we will each vary).
I included simulated taxes in retirement, as well as transportation costs (commuting to cancer treatments if needed), and an interesting one that killed WY as an option for me was "stability of RE market in lean yrs". If in WY I would be best to rent, and keep my RE $ in a cash flowing property in another income tax free state with better gains and stability.

some of my high wants:
  1. In the country w/ view, clear south facing, large windows, wood heat, garden and orchard, and NO barking dogs / dirt bikes as neighbors.
  2. Paved road access
  3. 20 min to a Jr college / or university. (LauraC does LOTS of classes / events at cc)
  4. 30 min to major medical (not so important until age 75)
  5. <1 hr to an international airport (through age 75)
  6. Plenty of outdoor volunteer opportunities.
  7. Friendly, non-segregated, diverse economy
low want;
a county with no stoplights (got that)
Ag centric (got forestry, which is not the same)

Interesting, that the locations of US National Research Labs is often a very engaging and pretty nice (often scenic) place to live. Retirees are really active and supportive of community, and well traveled / interesting.
https://www.energy.gov/maps/doe-national-laboratories

Old 04-12-2019, 04:30 PM

627 posts, read 877,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well then, if ur into driving 2 hours to an airport...there are great places!
Salida, Rye, Cotapaxie, Penrose, Fairplay...
The OP wrote "Not sure if this is correct but thought that area of Colorado would be a little warmer and not get as much snow as farther north" and you suggest Fairplay @ 9900'? Plenty of cold and snow up there!

Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 PM

14,342 posts, read 22,139,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The only major airport in Colorado is DIA. The Springs has an airport, but it's rinky-dink and your flight options are extremely limited.

Pueblo to DIA on a good traffic day is a hair under 2 hours. Trinidad to DIA is around 3 hours.

The Eastern Plains are not a hiking hot spot. There are a couple decent canyon hikes in SE Colorado (Vogel Canyon and Picketwire Canyon), but for really good hiking you'll need to be closer to the foothills.

Do you have a housing budget? That will help us give you more focused ideas.
Springs Airport is big enough and is way better than DIA if you can fly from there.

Vogel and Picketwire Canyon, although nice, is not hiking. It's walking along a trail in the grasslands.

Rye, San Isabel, Ophir Creek, now that's hiking. You got Saint Charles Trail, Bartlett Trail, Apache Falls, etc. all along Greenhorn Mountain.

But hey, that's just me, ymmv.

http://on-walkabout.net/2012/09/17/o...tain-colorado/

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...reenhorn-trail

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-12-2019 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 07:00 AM

59 posts, read 11,591 times
OP. Like someone else suggested, you should look at Grand Junction. I also think you should look at the Four Corners area - Cortez, Durango, Pagosa Springs, and even Farmington, NM.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 PM

12 posts, read 1,579 times
Default Ditto on GJ

Ditto on Grand Junction. The issue with the Eastern 1/3 of Colorado is it is basically an extension of Nebraska and Kansas. Great if you are a farmer or pheasant hunter. If your main activity is hiking, though, you want to be in the Western 1/2 of the State.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM

10,938 posts, read 12,217,900 times
Not too expensive and Colorado don't exactly match. Might try the western slope, areas around Delta.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:41 AM

4,797 posts, read 9,481,301 times
I think the OP disappeared. Haven’t heard from him in almost a week. It’s fun to see everyone’s suggestions, but it would be nice if Bosco would return.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:57 PM

693 posts, read 335,362 times
Grand Junction is a "bargain" compared to the Front Range. The Grand Junction newspaper reports today that the average price of a home is $250,000 today compared to $229,000 a year ago. Compare that to Denver where the average price, last I saw, was around $460,000.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 PM

7 posts, read 1,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco777 View Post
Thanks for all the good input. Not sure if this is correct but thought that area of Colorado would be a little warmer and not get as much snow as farther north. Other criteria: within an hour or two of a major airport and an interesting downtown area. Nice area to hike. At this stage of the search just getting some ideas of what towns to explore.
I don't know where you're moving from, but I would do some more information on Colorado winters and decide if you think you would be okay here. I've lived in Denver for a year and underestimated the winters here. Idk about down south but I do know the eastern plains get a lot of the blizzard weather that blows through. I also know that Denver gets about 6 months of winter. No, it's not as "brutal" as the Minnesota or Upstate NY but it's much longer and still cold/gray plus everything is brown and dead. We don't get spring here. In fact, spring is our snowiest time of year and it's not uncommon for a blizzard to blow through in May. If you have heard the 300 sunny days and mild weather malarky give it some more research and decide for yourself if you're okay with it. Colorado is sunnier than other places in winter, but it's no Phoenix or Sand Diego if that's what you're hoping for. It's not the end of the world but you should be informed about the truth of the situation because hearing all of the good from other people/rating sites can be misleading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or