U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 PM

12 posts, read 1,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
I don't know where you're moving from, but I would do some more information on Colorado winters and decide if you think you would be okay here. I've lived in Denver for a year and underestimated the winters here. Idk about down south but I do know the eastern plains get a lot of the blizzard weather that blows through. I also know that Denver gets about 6 months of winter. No, it's not as "brutal" as the Minnesota or Upstate NY but it's much longer and still cold/gray plus everything is brown and dead. We don't get spring here. In fact, spring is our snowiest time of year and it's not uncommon for a blizzard to blow through in May. If you have heard the 300 sunny days and mild weather malarky give it some more research and decide for yourself if you're okay with it. Colorado is sunnier than other places in winter, but it's no Phoenix or Sand Diego if that's what you're hoping for. It's not the end of the world but you should be informed about the truth of the situation because hearing all of the good from other people/rating sites can be misleading
300 Days of Sun is a myth. I think I read that a railroad publicist just made it up, and it stuck. According to the state climatologist, the real split is 115 clear days, 130 partly cloudy days, and 120 cloudy.

Still, you tend to have fewer of those cloudy stretches in Denver than you do in the East or the Great Lakes areas... when you have 4-5 days in a row of overcast. But 300 days a year of sun is way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 PM

693 posts, read 335,362 times
Growing up in Wisconsin I can tell you the winters here are very mild, but of course we are no SAND Diego. LOL.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingTheSun View Post
300 Days of Sun is a myth. I think I read that a railroad publicist just made it up, and it stuck. According to the state climatologist, the real split is 115 clear days, 130 partly cloudy days, and 120 cloudy.

Still, you tend to have fewer of those cloudy stretches in Denver than you do in the East or the Great Lakes areas... when you have 4-5 days in a row of overcast. But 300 days a year of sun is way off.
245 days of sunshine doesn’t have the cache of 300 days of sunshine.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,645,432 times
Rye and LaVeta come to mind. Colorado is a park. Lots of choices.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-16-2019 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

6,859 posts, read 12,299,952 times
I would think the further one gets from Denver. Medical options become less and less. There is no way around it as we get older. The need for access to quality medical care become mandatory. Unless of course one doesn't consider their health needs important. There are retirees that don't care. I was somewhat surprised by that fact.

Old Today, 09:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 25,216,586 times
I just talked to some younger (read, not retired) people who, one flew to Rochester to Mayo Clinic after unsuccessful surgery in Grand Junction, lives in Ridgway.

Another flies to Mayo Clinic in Phoenix after a serious diagnosis from MRI in Grand Junction and she's only 40.

I certainly wouldn't have moved here if I had any serious ongoing medical issues but couldn't deal with staying outside Boston for the rest of my life just in case I had a serious medical issue.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 2,578,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I just talked to some younger (read, not retired) people who, one flew to Rochester to Mayo Clinic after unsuccessful surgery in Grand Junction, lives in Ridgway.

Another flies to Mayo Clinic in Phoenix after a serious diagnosis from MRI in Grand Junction and she's only 40.

I certainly wouldn't have moved here if I had any serious ongoing medical issues but couldn't deal with staying outside Boston for the rest of my life just in case I had a serious medical issue.
The lack of specialized medical care in rural areas isn’t new.

What IS new and disturbing is the paucity of even basic health care. In my town, I was assigned (not allowed to choose) a PCP, who was a nurse. I went for an “intake visit”, since getting an actual physical checkup is not allowed until after that is done. Then I dutifully scheduled the real exam, which was not available for another 3 months. As that day approached, I got a call saying the nurse had been transferred to a different department and now I had a different nurse as PCP, who was not available for another few weeks. I saw her, expecting to get the much-delayed exam including a PAP test that had not been done since at least 6 yrs earlier. Turned out it was yet another “intake exam”! So I scheduled a physical with Nurse #2, which should have occurred last month.

The day I was supposed to have it, she called in sick. I decided not to try again with this health care provider. And still need a long-overdue PAP and “annual checkup.” No doubt if I did schedule with her, she too would be moved around and I would have to go through another useless “intake exam”. Boy, they sure make money off of redundant unnecessary perfunctory visits while neglecting the real exams. Seems the whole point of those intake exams is to make easy money and do surveys on what percentage of the patients abuse substances!

AND we have health insurance! Getting the actual benefits is the problem. We’d get better treatment—FREE—if we committed crimes that put us in jail.

Last edited by pikabike; Today at 09:54 AM..

Old Today, 10:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,921 posts, read 39,114,468 times
If on ACA 'exchange' HC, rural Colorado has some of the highest rates in USA. This has been written up in several national articles in the past 4 yrs.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

I know a lot of people who travel from even major metro areas to hospitals in other cities for specialized care. This is not just a rural issue. It’s availability of unique medical treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or