U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 11:43 AM

541 posts, read 258,750 times

Advertisements

I would want to how the manufacturers claimed EV range is compared to real-world conditions in very cold climates- most (if not all) buyers would too.

I'm sure the mfg's do not want to have to share that information if there is a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 AM

120 posts, read 159,077 times
Manufacturers are very up front about range decreasing in the cold. This isn't something they're hiding. It's well-known. Just like traditional fuel economy in an ICE vehicle decreases in winter and steep terrain, so too does range decrease with EVs.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:07 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I would want to how the manufacturers claimed EV range is compared to real-world conditions in very cold climates- most (if not all) buyers would too.
I was in Scandinavia last year and there are an incredible number of EVs there, especially Norway. I recently read an article that said the Tesla Model 3 is currently the best selling car in Norway and Sweden. If EVs do well there, they'll do well here. Our winters are tropical compared with those places.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 269 times
I'd also expect the car climate to change in 21 years by the 2040 goal. We've seen a large(ish) shift in the industry in the last 20 years. Smaller turbo-charged engines, hybrids, more diesels (though VW kind of shot that one in the foot), 6+ speed transmissions, CVT's, etc. As far as tech and safety, we how have backup cameras as a standard feature and emergency braking sensors will be required in the next few years as well.

21 years from now, I'd expect a lot larger percentage of cars being offered being hybrids (as technology becomes cheaper and more practical for varying car body styles) and electric cars to be a lot more common. While we won't be 100% electric by then, I have no doubts that these technological increases will bring forward a lot of good change for consumers and make our roads a lot safe in doing so.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:53 PM

861 posts, read 455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradorunner View Post
I'd also expect the car climate to change in 21 years by the 2040 goal. We've seen a large(ish) shift in the industry in the last 20 years. Smaller turbo-charged engines, hybrids, more diesels (though VW kind of shot that one in the foot), 6+ speed transmissions, CVT's, etc. As far as tech and safety, we how have backup cameras as a standard feature and emergency braking sensors will be required in the next few years as well.

21 years from now, I'd expect a lot larger percentage of cars being offered being hybrids (as technology becomes cheaper and more practical for varying car body styles) and electric cars to be a lot more common. While we won't be 100% electric by then, I have no doubts that these technological increases will bring forward a lot of good change for consumers and make our roads a lot safe in doing so.
All very true but a hybrid is not 100% renewable. It would have to be electric only vehicles getting electricity from solar and wind which is a crazy notion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or