U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:45 PM

861 posts, read 455,231 times

Advertisements

Since our state government is moving toward requiring us to drive electric vehicles, I wondered what your experience has been during the winter. Does range decrease? How much? Does the heater still work? Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 05:55 AM

541 posts, read 258,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Since our state government is moving toward requiring us to drive electric vehicles, I wondered what your experience has been during the winter. Does range decrease? How much? Does the heater still work? Etc.
I've heard cold affects the range quite a bit, a simple Google search has some good info:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/26383/...percent-report

Hopefully when your battery needs to be charged (in a snow storm?) you don't pull into a charging station and see a few people ahead of you (!).

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,779,876 times
I've had a Tesla (Model S, 85D) for over 4 years. Range drops about 10% for me in the dead of winter, but for my driving habits, it's never been an issue. I start off every morning with a "full tank," as I plug in at home. I ski at Keystone and the round trip from Lakewood is no problem. I usually get back home with about 100 miles of range remaining. If I wanted to fast charge in the mountains, there's a Tesla supercharger in Silverthorne, just off I-70 at the Outlets.

Heat works just fine, as do my heated seats and steering wheel heater. There's no "engine" heat, so the heater has an electric resistance coil (like a toaster). That does use battery energy. A/C, in hot weather, uses about 1/3 the energy that the heater does. Speaking of heat (and A/C), one great feature is I can remotely turn them on. As they are electric, with no fanbelts, both can run when the car is off. I frequently use it in the summer. If I'm in a store and the car has been sitting in the sun for a while, I use the cell phone app to remotely turn on the AC about 5 minutes before I head back to the car and it's nice and cool when I get in.

I'm not big on long-distance driving trips, but I've driven to Vegas (with stops in Moab and Zion NP) and KC, using the Tesla Supercharger network (for free) along the highways.

The ONLY time I had to wait for a charge was the morning of the solar eclipse a couple of years ago. I drove from Lakewood to Torrington, WY and had a bout a 15 minute wait, on the way there, to charge in Cheyenne. That is currently the smallest supercharger in the country with only 4 stalls. On the way home I charged in Loveland instead, which has 10 stalls, many of which were unoccupied. When I had a gasoline-powered car, I've had to wait for a pump more than once :-)

Old 04-24-2019, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 269 times
Quote:
This is not the case, nor will it be in the foreseeable future. Simply put, the technology isn't there, nor is the price for your average consumer.

As for owning an electric car, two of my neighbors have Teslas and I've never heard them complain about issues -- including ski trips into the mountains.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 AM

10,967 posts, read 12,260,408 times
Requiring us to drive electric cars? Good luck with that. I know a few folks who have those in the Telluride Ouray area, don't seem to have a problem in winter.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:09 AM

13,838 posts, read 19,911,576 times
Quote:
Since our state government is moving toward requiring us to drive electric vehicles
Do you have a citation to support this statement?

Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 PM

861 posts, read 455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Requiring us to drive electric cars? Good luck with that. I know a few folks who have those in the Telluride Ouray area, don't seem to have a problem in winter.
https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/17/c...w-jared-polis/

Polis ambitiously pledged during his campaign to move Colorado to 100 percent renewable energy by 2040. His executive order, he said, is step-one in achieving that goal.

Last edited by DrDog; 04-24-2019 at 08:03 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 PM

15,639 posts, read 8,322,512 times
What if people can't afford to pay the premium an Electric Vehicle costs? Is the state going to further subsidies them to make them more "affordable"?

Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,068 posts, read 39,244,468 times
Very ez for the state to do what they want in the form of transportation / licensing / registration.

They could exclude the right to license a fossil fueled vehicle, or make it unaffordable via taxation.

Many states (including some on east coast) have joined CARB (California Clean Air Board).

Then there are the ZEV states and the 'smile' states.
https://autoweek.com/article/green-c...s-smile-states

Anything can happen... Fortuanately Colorado still has some distributed voting representation, but the day will come when Boulder / Denver metro / + Larimer County populous will rule the state.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:53 AM

541 posts, read 258,750 times
Seems like a lot of EV users have issues trying to find charging stations that are actually available:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...226-story.html

And studies show EV's may actually produce MORE Co2?

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...lobal-warming/

It is great that the Feds are phasing-out the EV credits- hopefully Colorado will too in the near future. If you can afford one why do you need help buying one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or