U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:13 PM

18,451 posts, read 22,911,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Strater is wonderful if the company will cover it. A pleasant restaurant for all meals on the first floor, good service. Also just a block to the Silverton train if you want to take that trip, which is highly recommended! Best wishes for a fine time.
We'd have to make up the difference. But, it looks so worth it! I am not familiar with average or slightly above average prices in Durango, but they always prefer chains and I am guessing they will pay $125.

Think Marriot, Holiday Inn, Double Tree (lower end Hilton) - just slightly above average. They don't want the company to look bad if he needs to meet a client there, so no "Motel 6" type places. '

The Silverton train sounds like a wonderful experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 11:17 PM

18,451 posts, read 22,911,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
BDL is right. And the Strater has an interesting history to it. You'll love it. I've stayed there just twice and it was years ago as I have a few friends in the Durango area I stay with when I'm going through there.

Mesa Verde National Park is between Durango and Cortez just off hwy. 160. IMO it is one of the crown jewels of the national park system! And of course, the Durango/Silverton narrow guage train is VERY popular.
Oh a national park that looks really worth a visit! Tell me about the "Interesting history" surrounding the Strater!

Old 05-05-2019, 09:36 AM

5,173 posts, read 2,648,658 times
Maria’s Bookstore in downtown Durango has books and booklets about local history. You can ask them to ship you something mail order, in advance. The hotel itself might have a reading collection of similar items. I don’t know because I have not been in the Strater, but it is common for B and Bs and hotels in historic districts to keep such things.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:50 PM

16,458 posts, read 20,788,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oh a national park that looks really worth a visit! Tell me about the "Interesting history" surrounding the Strater!
Google in Strater Hotel-Durango-history."

The place has lots and lots and lots of Victorian furniture in there. Many noted people from politicians to movie people have stayed there, one of the most noted was famed author Louis L'Amour. In fact room 222 has his name on it. It is said that Mr. L'Amour got some inspiration of some of his writings from his many stays there.

The original owners took a severe financial whacking after the Silver Panic of 1893 until Mr. Earl Barker and some financial friends of his bought the hotel. For decades after, if you wanted fine dining, you went to the Strater. If you were into the Opera, you went to the Strater. Denver had their Brown Palace Hotel, Colorado Springs had their Broadmoor, but little bitty Durango had their Strater.

Since the mid 1920's the Barker family bought it (there were a couple owners in between) and have continually updated the hotel and have added some more Victorian furniture. I worked for the USFS as a road crew laborer in the late 1960's and it was THE place in town for the tourists back then. The last time I stayed in there was 1977 and like I said the place is always being updated.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-06-2019 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: sp. correction

Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,864,613 times
https://www.animasriverdays.com/

Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 PM

51 posts, read 136,344 times
The Strater and the General Palmer are both nice.... as long as you don't mind the train waking you up really early with a loud whistle! Charming, but..... if you need your sleep to work, the Double Tree on the river might be a better choice. It is not ON Main Street, but 2 blocks down. Easy to walk to town from the Double Tree. Other great places are the Rochester, and the Leland Hose, both on Second Ave.

The train is up and going; you can ride it to Silverton. Mesa Verde is about a 90 minutes drive to the west; wonderful if you have time. We have lots of restaurants in town with great food and drink. Beautiful here in the Spring, but this year, we had tons of snow. Very much welcomed after last year. Accessing the mountain wont be possible until July or after.

Hope you love our little town. I sure do.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:04 AM

5,173 posts, read 2,648,658 times
From Durango to the Mesa Verde visitor center is less than a 1-hour drive, not 90 minutes. You will need to sign up in advance at the visitor center for any guided tours.

Mesa Verde is between Mancos and Cortez, roughly 7 miles and 9 to 10 miles away, respectively.

Old Today, 07:35 AM

628 posts, read 144,195 times
We travel there nearly every year for vacation. Depends on your tastes when you choose your lodging. We usually ski and stay at the mountain resort, but when we go any other time we stay in town. The Rochester Hotel and Leland House would be great choices. The Double Tree is on the river. As others have said The Strater and the General Palmer are nice too.
Once out of town things spread out so make sure you time things correctly.
We skip the train, it's a tourist trap to us, and drive to Silverton. It's faster that way too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or