U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:01 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times

Advertisements

NatureCoast(by the way, howdy neighbor) thank you so much for posting those.
I am so familiar with all of those intersections.
Doesn't look too bad yet. School was already out for winter break, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 12:09 PM

365 posts, read 724,182 times
Now guys Colorado is in my heart and that is where I will be buried but I am giggling to myself right now because typically at this time of year I am getting hammered with snow and my friends from Colorado laugh at me, now the table is turned and I'm sitting in 42 degree weather with blue skies which just does not happen here in Northern New York right now. Sorry all but I'm loving this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:57 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
It started snowing here in Parker around 5:30AM, and hasn't quite. Since the weather really wasn't to bad this morning, I drove into Denver to my job. I work in Purchasing, but we have buses that take seniors to our five "health-care" Centers in the Denver metro area and our entire operation closed down at 10AM. I left the my office at 9:30 and headed home to Parker. Boy, what a ride. I kept our Durango in 4-wheel drive all the way home and that sure gave me nice "peace of mind". Going south on I-25, I was a few cars going side-ways and a couple stuck on the side of the freeway. It was a pretty messy drive. I got onto E-470 and the "blizzard like" conditions could really be felt there. My boss told me, before I left, that I could take a "snow day" tomorrow if I want to. You darn right I will!!
Just found out that there are a number of flights at DIA that have been canceled and that our Govenor Owen has immobilized the National Guard to help. Also heard that the Red Cross is setting up a large area for stranded motorists at the Douglas County Fairgrounds in Castlerock for this afternoon/tonight.
There is no doubt about it......this is a BLIZZARD and we getting inch upon inch of snow (rapidly) in Parker.
For you folks here that like this weather (the non-skiers), you can have it. We moving next year to North Carolina. We have been here for almost five years and have had enough.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,902,628 times
I live in Colorado Springs,...went to get the evil that are cigarettes, less than a mile from my house.

Ended up parking about two blocks from my house as my poor HOnda couldn't make it up the hill. I am thankful I made it that far. BUT wow, 5 storms this season in the area is insane.

Please, people, don't drive unless you have to. I wish I had left 2 hours earlier. The cams all over the state (cotrip.org) are not looking good.

Stay warm and stay safe everyone!

Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 PM

111 posts, read 562,872 times
heres an image of my backyard in castle rock:

its blowin pretty hard and piling up. Glad I went to the store this morning. I forgot the liquor store though. d_mn, a hot toddy or a alpine would be nice right now. Hmm, may have to consider another trip out.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 PM

85 posts, read 442,458 times
Default Mike from Back East

Thanks for these pictures, we're heading out to Co again in Jan. to settle down the roots and $$ for a home. We'll be a California transplant but respect the loveliness of Co that we'll be there to preserve it not ruin it.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:11 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,060,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, the weather forecasters have been talking about it and people have been asking about it......yes heavy snow is on it's way for the Denver area! Get ready for 10-20" of the white stuff! The snow is suppose to start early tomorrow morning (4AM) and go all the way thru into Thursday afternoon. In Parker, where we live (28 mi. southeast of Denver), we got a foot of snow this past Oct, the Wednesday before Halloween. This storm will dump a number of inches of snow on us also........thank God for snowblowers!
And, yes, with the day/night temps staying fairly cold, most of this snow will be around on Christmas day......YES!!!
So, for you "freshly moved" folks from Southern California......get ready for some very, very wintery driving. Just take it easy on the roads and you should be fine. But, please don't drive like you would in Southern California....fast, that is.
Good Luck everyone!
Just hope it's a powdery dry snow so you can shovel it! Ours was mixed with ice and sleet (five inches of it), then it snowed on top of that. It was hard as rock and we couldn't shovel it.
From all accounts I've heard tonight, Denver is buried. I do NOT envy you!

Old 12-21-2006, 04:24 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
According to Channel 9's Weather Page, the blizzard warning remains in effect, snow is still falling and DIA is still closed, with plenty of stranded passengers.
Snow is supposed to taper off into flurries in the early afternoon.
One to two foot drifts, wow.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4872351

Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
Holiday Blizzard '06, update Thursday, Dec. 21:
Denver International Airport is still shut down, with a lot of people stranded there.
Denver and all metro area government offices are closed today.
A lot of highways, and some freeways, remain closed.
The Governor of Colorado has issued a State of Emergency and mobilized the National Guard to help out.
A lot of businesses are closed today, including the company I work for.
Snowplows are "trying" to clear streets/freeways, but with the wind still blowing/snow still falling.....they are having a tough time.
Here in Parker (our house): at least 24 inches of snow and the snow keeps coming down with periods of high wind.
This was no ordinary snowstorm......this was a full-blown BLIZZARD!!
We will have a White Christmas this year!!

Old 12-21-2006, 11:37 AM

198 posts, read 870,698 times
Hi Cil, Yep I'm over on the west coast....

Here are the highest reports of snow fall from the NWS that I could find, 52" so far in Larimer

0505 AM HEAVY SNOW 7 N GLEN HAVEN 40.55N 105.43W
12/21/2006 M52.0 INCH LARIMER CO TRAINED SPOTTER

0730 AM HEAVY SNOW 11 SW BOULDER 39.91N 105.40W
12/21/2006 M41.3 INCH BOULDER CO CO-OP OBSERVER

0904 AM HEAVY SNOW CONIFER 39.52N 105.30W
12/21/2006 M42.0 INCH JEFFERSON CO TRAINED SPOTTER

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?...R&issuedby=BOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or