Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 07:15 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times

Advertisements

Been to King Soopers and Whole Foods in the last couple of weeks looking for Palisade peaches. Both stores had something labeled Colorado peaches. In past years, there were actual Palisade peaches. Did they change the nomenclature or are these peaches from elsewhere? If so, why don't they carry Palisade peaches any longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
They might be Palisade peaches. King Soopers has a marketing thing where they market things that come from Colorado. It could be they're doing that on peaches from Palisade. Might ask them.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Palisade peaches are still available. I passed a roadside stand selling them in the Four Corners area.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 AM

2,478 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Palisade is still the mother of peaches in Colorado, but there are also orchards not in Palisade that may not be able to market them as “Palisade”, just like wines not made in Chianti or Champagne need to be marketed as Sangiovese or Sparkling.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Exactly, it is branding and depending on how aggressive the coop is about their brand will determine how much it is plagerized. Much like Rocky Ford cantaloupe can only come from that region, but the fruit is grown in numerous other areas.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:36 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
I admire Colorado's small, fledgling peach production. I like the idea of locally produced produce. But keep in mind: Colorado's total peach production is tiny in comparison to California's total peach production.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:19 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I admire Colorado's small, fledgling peach production. I like the idea of locally produced produce. But keep in mind: Colorado's total peach production is tiny in comparison to California's total peach production.
Personally, I find local produce much better tasting. When I lived in PA, I grew a good amount of my own fruits and vegetables. Much of what is produced in California is bred for attractiveness and sturdiness for shipping, not taste. In addition, most of it is picked before it's ripe, so it;s not damaged in shipment.
Strawberries are a perfect example. The berries from CA looks big, red, and pretty, but are tasteless. If you've never tried freshly picked strawberries (I know you'd have to travel far for them), you should try it some time.

Same is true of "reverse season" produce from Chile/Argentina/Peru and Australia/NZ. It is shipped a looong way, and not overnight via Fedex, so is virtually tasteless.

I suspect the vast majority of Colorado';s peach crop is sold within the state or nearby and not shipped across the country. So what's your point?

Old 09-03-2019, 05:29 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
LOL, fledgling? Peaches have been grown in Palisade since the 1880’s.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
I recently tasted McElmo Canyon (Cortez) peaches for the first time. WOW! They were small in size and huge in flavor. I don’t pine for any other peaches. The local apples are incredible, too.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Remember... there are many varieties of Peaches (even within Palisade growing region.

Tree ripened are usually the best (pick when they start to fall).
i.e. U-pick or buy (at the orchard) is often the most flavorful option!
Bit tough to market ripe peaches commercially (handling / packaging).

There are ways to ripen commercial peaches (placing under a newspaper or in paper bag to trap gases of those peaches that are starting to ripen).

Different varieties for different purposes. https://www.visitgrandjunction.com/s...lisade-peaches
(for 'old school', I prefer RedHaven - when available ripe) Elberta is another favorite

Peach Varieties – Davis Family Farms
To select the perfect Palisade peach look first around the stem. If the skin is green near the stem the peach was picked green. Use these for recipes where a firmer peach is needed, such as grilling. If the skin around the stem is yellow or red then the peach is ripe. If it yields easily to pressure then it is very ripe and will bruise easily
The season was abnormally late this yr and the early varieties were not as sweet (lack of thermal days and sun)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado