U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2006, 03:52 PM

5,682 posts, read 10,504,262 times

Advertisements

Parker (central, across from Wal Mart): When it finally quit snowing around 3PM yesterday, it looks like we got almost 3 feet! A snowplow has gone down the main street in our development, but the side streets (like ours) has not seen a snowplow yet (as of noon today, Friday). If it weren't for some pick-up trucks, pushing/digging their way thru the snow, our street would be totally inpassible.
The sun is out right now, and "some" (very little) snow is melting and we are suppose to get some flurries tomorrow.
Some time next year, we are "getting out of Dodge" (Parker) and moving to North Carolina. For us, the wife and I, we can no longer handle any more winters here. We even have a snowblower and our muscles are even hurting from using that. "Enough is enough" for us at our age (57/58).
"Colorado, you are one beautiful State, but.............
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 18,718 times
I am in Grand Junction. NO snow right now, had a few inches here and there over the past month or so. Not much left on the ground, except in the shaded areas.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:49 PM

477 posts, read 1,609,289 times
I am near Durango and they only got a couple inches and it is already melted off the roads. Not bad at all.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:58 PM

615 posts, read 2,164,387 times
With this second storm, it really has not lived up to the hype, at least in the Denver metro area. In Highlands Ranch, we got maybe 6" or 7" overnight, but since I cleared off the driveway this morning, we've only had about 1" more of accumulation. Roads aren't so bad. We even had a plow come down our street today. Though, it seems many people have succumbed to the hype since many stores closed early yesterday and today.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:37 AM

432 posts, read 1,877,790 times
We got some snow this time around. About 8 inches of good wet stuff. For about 4 hrs we had those huge beautiful flakes. Don't remember it ever snowing that kind for so long. Then it snowed reg. No wind. Just nice snow. My horse & cats aren't too happy but the dogs are having a ball.

Last edited by Nadine; 12-30-2006 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: dogs not dog

Old 12-30-2006, 12:15 PM

17,373 posts, read 24,625,888 times
Default The Colorado Snow Report

To recap the recent storm (28-30 Dec)....

We had snow Thursday, 28 Dec, 3-4 inches heavy wet stuff early in day, shoveled it out 3-4 PM.

Storm took a break then resumed later in the day and snowed 6-8 inches of powdery stuff, with small drift of in front of garage but lower half of driveway was bare where the wind scoured it. I shoveled that stuff out about 8-9 PM on Thursday evening.

Had another lull and then late Thursday night into Friday morning we had round three with another 6-8 inches of powder and small drifts, so I shoveled that 3-5PM on Friday evening.

Late Friday night the storm petered out, now there is some blue sky showing on Saturday morning. I have 1-2 inches to sweep, blow or scape off, but the streets are already plowed, and the guys even scraped it away from our driveways….back in VA, a dump truck guy would come thru and after he went by, each driveway would have a huge pile right across the driveways that we’d all have to shovel that crap ourselves. Here in COS, we had two large road graders do the street and two large front-end loaders (big Cat’s, not little bobcats) pull the piles away from driveway ramps.

It will melt and be gone, fill our resevoirs, a happy ending. I’ll take this over everything else. Wouldn’t trade CO for anything.

s/Mike
http://bestsmileys.com/winter/21.gif (broken link)
What....me worry?
Have shovel, will smile.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:24 AM

5,682 posts, read 10,504,262 times
We now have "mountains" of snow piled up from where the plows went thru. Actually, what went thru was both a pickup truck mounted snow plow and a backhoe w/shovel.......both on different days, but both at 3AM in the morning.
Here in Parker, close to Mainstreet, we only got 6 inches from this last storm, but got a little over 2 feet from the "week before Christmas" blizzard. A lot of people wanted a "White Christmas"......they got it.......including a "White New Year"!!!!!!!!!!
We do like the snow, however our older (57/58) bodies don't anymore. In 2007, we will be heading for North Carolina and only about 5 inches of snow per year. We can handle that.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:35 PM

4,268 posts, read 7,404,939 times
Wink Just in case anyone's still interested

Thanks to the storms we had the journey-from-hell to and from NM. Dad finally got out of LaGuardia on the 23rd, the day he was supposed to fly with me to Santa Fe, and got on a 7am flight on the 24th. Meanwhile, I missed my flight from DIA to Santa Fe because of the nightmare at Security (4-hour long queues) and ended up driving down! We drove back on the 28th, the day of the SECOND worst storm and did the whole trip in 10 hours at an average of 35-40mph the whole way. I am still stunned my little VW made it! Luckily the 3rd storm hit after he left for home on the 4th but we are adamant that this year, Xmas will be in July!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado