U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 11:26 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,235,022 times

Advertisements

Pueblo down by the river ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 AM

1,089 posts, read 386,532 times
You might look at Oregon. Lots of small towns, beautiful scenery, and there weren't any toll roads a few years ago, not sure about now (looks like there might be a couple of toll bridges).

Old 11-11-2019, 01:26 PM

4,522 posts, read 7,648,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been living in big cities for the past 3 years (Minneapolis, Orlando) and just can't take it anymore. The hours wasted in traffic, aggressive drivers with hearts filled with road-rage, toll roads everywhere, airplane noise, and the unfriendliness of people in a rush, I'm so done!!!

Is there anywhere in Colorado that is still slow-paced and laid back? A place that doesn't make me go broke paying tolls? A place where maybe people are still nice? I'm an RN so I can get a job anywhere. I just don't know where to look.

Go East young Lady, Go East! Yuma County's county seat is Wray. I grew up there many years ago and it is the antithesis of Big City life.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:08 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,611,056 times
What constitutes the cut over from big city for you? what is too small? Many places are getting more crowded and there is usually a reason why some places are crowded and some places are loosing population. Why Colorado if you've been in Florida and Minnesota before? Your request is pretty broad and open ended.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:31 PM

77 posts, read 44,520 times
Maybe take a look at woodland park

Old 11-13-2019, 09:38 PM

14,925 posts, read 22,244,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyoung View Post
Maybe take a look at woodland park
Have you checked the murder rate there?
https://gazette.com/news/evidence-he...e4e32acfa.html

Old 11-13-2019, 09:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,223 posts, read 43,010,343 times
RN.... I would look at Windsor, Severance, Timnath, CO (For north Front Range of Colorado, lots to do), several nearby hospitals and medical facilities, many retirees, (future job security) and manageable traffic.

resources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ls_in_Colorado

BTW: I'm an RN so I can get a job anywhere. I just don't know where to look.
If you are not fixated on Colorado and still in the peak of your earning yrs and looking to FIRE (retire early);
1) Consider Income Tax free states (WY and SD are close-by and have some really nice areas with medical jobs... Sheridan and Sturgis and Spearfish) Low traffic and close to great recreation = Thermopolis, Lovell, and Powell WY. You will have a tough time finding nicer people / neighbors than WY. (AK, NH, TN, SD, TX, NV, WA, WY are income tax free states, TN taxes dividend and interest earnings)
2) VA or State employment (benefits and free education)
3) Someone above mentioned Oregon -OK (9% income tax, but no sales tax), but... next door - 5 minutes away WA has no income tax and lots of medical and higher wages. There are NO stoplights in my WA county and I am <1/2 hr to a lot of medical jobs. (Vancouver, Portland (income tax if working in OR)) + 25 colleges (for fun and edu). and scenic recreation is out the back door. (no traffic to recreation areas)

Also look into the locations of State Veterans living medical centers (run by state, not VA, but similar benefits) often VERY nice small and beautiful communities. https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/allstate.asp

AK has little traffic, a lot of veterans, many recreational things to do, high paying jobs, medical facilities, and lots of money! (State Residents get rebates / distributions). I have a friend that flies Medivac in AK, it is really a great job. Medivac RN's do pretty well (light schedule (monthly) and high pay). Get to go to lots of interesting places, no traffic (but not laid back a few hours / day).

Old 11-15-2019, 08:06 AM

38 posts, read 17,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

AK has little traffic, a lot of veterans, many recreational things to do, high paying jobs, medical facilities, and lots of money! (State Residents get rebates / distributions). I have a friend that flies Medivac in AK, it is really a great job. Medivac RN's do pretty well (light schedule (monthly) and high pay). Get to go to lots of interesting places, no traffic (but not laid back a few hours / day).
I agree that there are a lot of medical jobs in Alaska but the state does not have lots of money. It just crawled (barely) out of a recession. Budget cuts have been huge and contentious. No one has gotten the full PFD recently and it is a big issue. The PFD is the dividend that the state pays residents because the state retained just about all mineral rights at statehood. I think it is a fabulous state but aside from medical jobs, it isn't a great one to move to currently.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:45 PM

5,707 posts, read 7,810,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Have you checked the murder rate there?
https://gazette.com/news/evidence-he...e4e32acfa.html
No one I know who actually lives there is worried about the murder rate. The news article linked is one case, which can and does happen now and then pretty much anywhere and says little to nothing about the community as a whole.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,223 posts, read 43,010,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Go East young Lady, Go East! Yuma County's county seat is Wray. I grew up there many years ago and it is the antithesis of Big City life.
No more Hot Beef Sandwiches at Farmer's Cafe... may not be worth relocating to Wray.

Probably can find a Potluck at the local church once / month - that will be good cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado