U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,906 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are originally from Wisconsin but currently live in Memphis, TN while he attends optometry school. I am a Spanish teacher. We visited Durango a few years ago to see family and ski, and we fell in love with the area. We are very interested in moving to Durango but we have done a few real estate searches and noticed that most decent 3 bedroom 2 bath houses start around 350,000. Yet when we looked at the community profile, the average income was around 45k. I know other have commented on this, but what gives? How can so many people in this community? I know that you have to pay to live in such a pristine location like Durango, but I'd love to know how everyone else can afford this. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 AM

228 posts, read 515,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makwisconsin View Post
My husband and I are originally from Wisconsin but currently live in Memphis, TN while he attends optometry school. I am a Spanish teacher. We visited Durango a few years ago to see family and ski, and we fell in love with the area. We are very interested in moving to Durango but we have done a few real estate searches and noticed that most decent 3 bedroom 2 bath houses start around 350,000. Yet when we looked at the community profile, the average income was around 45k. I know other have commented on this, but what gives? How can so many people in this community? I know that you have to pay to live in such a pristine location like Durango, but I'd love to know how everyone else can afford this. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
The Durango housing market for much of the past decade has been driven mainly by out-of-towners, mostly retirees, trust fund babies and second home buyers, who made (or obtained) their money elsewhere and continue to be the main force driving the market. In that way it's not too much unlike any other resort town in the Rockies. The cost of living in town is exorbitant, and of course no individual trying to survive on a fixed, middle class level income could ever afford an average 2-BR, 1200 sf home in town. The price for such a home within the city limits of Durango would be north of $340K on the low end.

The people who make up the small, clerical, small business-associated and governmental workforce in town basically don't live "in town" in Durango, for the most part, unless they've been here for generations. Mostly they live in surrounding communities like Bayfield, Ignacio, Hesperus, etc. The cliche "drive until you can afford it" certainly applies in Durango.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM

33 posts, read 66,482 times
I may be relocating from Houston to either Durango or Cortez for anywhere from 1 to 3 years. The pictures of the area are beautiful, but I'm a little worried. How is a 37 year-old single male supposed to find a girlfriend in this area?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazmoot View Post
I may be relocating from Houston to either Durango or Cortez for anywhere from 1 to 3 years. The pictures of the area are beautiful, but I'm a little worried. How is a 37 year-old single male supposed to find a girlfriend in this area?

Uh, you don't. You learn to really like your pets. And enjoy the outdoors. A lot. This problem is actually one of the biggest reasons I'll be leaving the area soon!

In all seriousness, my advice: unless you're either female or bringing your significant other with you, I'd stay in Houston. The mountains are beautiful in this part of the country, the outdoor life is great, the weather is terrific- but from the viewpoint of a fellow single thirtysomething guy who "fell in love with the postcard", so to speak, lived here for roughly 2 years and am now on the road out of town, be prepared to have virtually no life beyond the outdoors here. Enjoyed the mountains- but the life of a hermit when you're as young as I am gets old quickly.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM

500 posts, read 943,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
Uh, you don't. You learn to really like your pets. And enjoy the outdoors. A lot. This problem is actually one of the biggest reasons I'll be leaving the area soon!

In all seriousness, my advice: unless you're either female or bringing your significant other with you, I'd stay in Houston. The mountains are beautiful in this part of the country, the outdoor life is great, the weather is terrific- but from the viewpoint of a fellow single thirtysomething guy who "fell in love with the postcard", so to speak, lived here for roughly 2 years and am now on the road out of town, be prepared to have virtually no life beyond the outdoors here. Enjoyed the mountains- but the life of a hermit when you're as young as I am gets old quickly.
I disagree. But whatever. I know lots o' cool single ladies.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
I disagree. But whatever. I know lots o' cool single ladies.

Lemme guess- college student? Or formerly a college student? I would guess that would make it much easier. And also, from your usertag, I can see that you're a "native"- of Durango? If so, that also makes any meaningful comparison difficult. If your social support system has been entrrenched here since childhood, and you don't have the outsider's experience, you can't probably relate too well.

I'm certain that the social life in Durango for FLC students is quite healthy. If you're not a part of that, however, and are too old for the college bar scene to be appealing, you're not left with much.

And FWIW, the social scene in Cortez is totally nonexistent if you're a transplant or outsider.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM

500 posts, read 943,067 times
Quote:
Lemme guess- college student? Or formerly a college student?
Nope

Quote:
And also, from your usertag, I can see that you're a "native"- of Durango?
Native of Colorado, not of Durango. Been here 6 years or so. I hang out downtown a lot, go to the Farmer's Market, etc. Gotta go where the people are, is all. I think it's hard to get to know people anywhere, frankly, if you insulate yourself and stay home all the time. (I'm not saying that's what you did/do. Just saying.)

Quote:
And FWIW, the social scene in Cortez is totally nonexistent if you're a transplant or outsider.
Agreed

Old 12-05-2008, 02:49 PM

I don't insulate myself, I have tried, but it just seems that at my age there isn't much of a "peer group" for singles here. If you're in your twenties or college aged, sure; but I would say that no matter the age demographic, based on my observation, the male-female ratio in this area is skewed pretty far in the direction of male predominant.

Hey, it is what it is, and your experience may be different from mine. But I've seen it from both sides- I've lived in large cities, I've lived in small cities, and without a doubt if you're a single professional in your thirties and your top priority is having the healthiest dating/social life possible, you are far better off in a big city than in a small western slope mountain town, or for that matter any small town anywhere. I don't think too many people would argue against that. I mean, honestly, I've been to Houston, and if that were my top priority, Houston would win hands down. There are literally loads of hot, single women there, and the ratio is much more favorable.

Don't get me wrong, Durango is great for lots of reasons; the social life, at least for a single guy my age, is not one of them.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 AM

110 posts, read 309,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammerOne View Post
Crackerjack, I got a kick out of your post regarding the "commute" into Durango from Bayfield. What commute? Maybe 15 to 20 minutes?? Are you kidding me? Obviously you have never lived in a metropolitan area where you have to leave your house by 6:00 or 6:30 am just to make it to work by 8:00 am, and that is if there isn't a traffic snarl up on the highway. Give me the commute to Durango anyday.
Now to the original post. I also love Durango, but......I would rather reside in Bayfield where there are a few more common sense people still left. Don't get me wrong, I have many friends that live and work in Durango but most of them are brutally liberal in opinions of politics, morals, our individual rights, and the amount of appeasement ( not respect) that they show for those with alternative lifestyles. I suppose some would classify me as a backwoods, narrow-minded, guy from Bayfield, but that's okay too.
I think smaller town America has lost a little identity by prostituting itself to the big box stores, mega malls and billion dollar highways. Sure Bayfield may not have a Chili's, Target or Best Buy but that's the way we like it! If you want a small town that sticks together and you see all your friends at the town's activities, and you want your kids to grow up with lifelong friends then Bayfield is for you. Hope that helps! Good luck!
I think CrackerJack said he lives in Phoenix!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM

14 posts, read 25,362 times
Question Durango-Pagosa Springs-Bayfield area

I'm researching areas for possible relocation. How close to major airports are these towns/cities?
And are they more inclined to have snow by December in this area? (Don't mind snow. Wouldn't mind having a White Christmas. I'm just looking for a place where it rarely ever hits 90+ degrees in the summer.)
M from MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado