U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,365,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
I can only comment on Durango, so here's my take.

Let me start by saying that Durango is a liberal town. A VERY liberal town. Comparable to Boulder in a lot of ways. You'll see lots of hippies with un-washed hair and t-shirts with peace signs riding bikes and driving Subarus all over town.

As for finding an "affordable" 1 or 2 acre lot, good luck with that. Property like that goes is VERY expensive around here.

I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but there's a statement around here that says "Wanna be a millionaire in Durango? Better come with 2 or 3 million."

Just some stuff to think about.
Wow, Durango's turned into Berkeley. Sounds idyllic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM

20,389 posts, read 37,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Wow, Durango's turned into Berkeley. Sounds idyllic.
I'm on my way....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,933 times
Thank's Durango Bound. That's what I was a feared of

Sounds like I'd do betted in the Gunnison area. I'm sick of all the left wing crap and find it easiee to avoid it rather than fight it. Someone said I sound like I'm more suited for someplace even more remote. I'm not THAT FAR to the right. Im not floating in cash either but I'm not a pauper. Just love the mountains of Colorado. Getting harder and harder to get away from it all.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,584,127 times
Quote:
As for finding an "affordable" 1 or 2 acre lot, good luck with that. Property like that goes is VERY expensive around here.
I bought a very affordable 5 acre lot 7 miles from downtown 15 months ago. Land in the Durango area is no more expensive than where I currently live in SW PA unless you want a huge lot on a mountainside with incredible vistas, of which there are more than a few in the Durango area. My land is on the Florida Mesa and is waterfront with gorgeous LaPlata mountain views. Since 2006, there are some great deals on land and houses in the Durango area if you know where to look. As a matter of fact, the overall cost of living is very much in line with where I live now. The only thing that is more expensive are existing homes in town. But then I had no interest in those when there are plenty of affordable houses & land outside of town.

I haven't seen a difference in the prices of food, rent, utilities, or services & I've been coming to Durango several times a year for a number of years now. And overall, taxes are a lot lower than where I live now.... just a fraction of what I pay now. I'll be moving to Durango in about a year and will be building a house. I do not expect to work because I am retired and have no interest in working at a $10/hr job or less. The critical factor i Durango is not that it's so expensive, it's that there are really not any "career" oriented well paying jobs available. With a decent paying job, Durango is no less affordable than many other less desirable areas.

Quote:
I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but there's a statement around here that says "Wanna be a millionaire in Durango? Better come with 2 or 3 million."

Just some stuff to think about.
That makes a nice sound bite but in reality, if you were foolish enough to buy or build your dream vacation home at the height of the housing bubble, and extended yourself a bit too far.... well then shame on you. Many people did just that, but it wasn't the COL in Durango that did them in, it was the foolish risks they took in overextending themselves and not doing their homework to begin with. In terms of cost of living, it's just not generally true. I have elder relatives in Durango who I've visited for years. They live on meager school teacher pensions & social security and manage quite nicely. Even built a nice home a while back.

Everything is relative so I would suggest that it may be more expensive for you but for me....and I'm sure many others who are able to live within their means, not so much.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 683 times
Just moved to Bayfield a few weeks ago. Lucky enough to find a beautiful rental home for the average rent cost across the west? But omg! Don't think I will last more than a year here!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:11 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,513,024 times
could well be but what makes you say that so soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado