U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:37 PM

827 posts, read 4,542,482 times

Advertisements

Hi Curious In CT,
The further you go away from Durango, the cheaper it is and the closer to Durango it gets more expensive. If you don't need land, 300,000 will get you a pretty good sized home, but not huge, in a planned community or any of the many suburbs there. Most of the suburbs allow ample room for yards and such. There are homes out around like in Ticolote or out on Florida Mesa or out toward Bayfield that you can buy that are pretty nice for around 300,000. Durango is growing by leaps and bounds so jobs shouldn't be a problem. Look on Durango Herald's website and see all the jobs and homes for sale.
Artist thrive in Durango. They have murals on walls, on buildings, art everywhere, sculptures, art galleries, etc.
I think the weather is mild and about the same as Colorado Springs, which too me is mild too, but I noticed some have posted from California think Colorado is cold so if you are from a hot climate, it may seem cold but it never has to me. I have gone out in the middle of winter and skiing and had to take my coat off, it gets hot. It has a dry climate and feels good to me especially in the summer. I had to live in Pittsburgh, PA for a winter on my job assignment and it felt WAY cold to me with all the humidity there. I have a friend who lives up in Wilton, CT and from all his talk, it is pretty cold there in CT so you will probably think Durango is great. I like that we have a lot of sunshine days, actually most of the year it is clear, unlike what he told me about how it is cloudy and cool a lot in Wilton. The few times it snows, it melts quick on the roads. It may stick around on lawns longer but the roads are fine and clear. The further north you go, the more snow, so you might want to avoid anything north of Hermosa. The further south you go, the hotter it gets near the New Mexico border and there it gets pretty hot. Durango is right in the middle, not too hot, not too cold. Just right I think! I like Durango because it isn't a huge city but big enough for all your needs and everybody is friendly that I have met and I wouldn't mind raising kids there. I am having to live in VERY hot Phoenix right now because of my job but WOW do I wish I was up there right now! Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 11:18 PM

Default More On Durango

Curious In CT,
I just happened to read about your concerns on living in a very conservative city. I can tell you Durango is mostly liberals and on most cars that have bumper stickers you will almost always see John Kerry stickers. Peace signs are a common theme there. I have not seen any Bush stickers there except on a stop sign! The liberals in Durango though are good people, they aren't extreme, well, there may be a couple but most liberals get along great with the minority of Republicans. There are a lot of people who have settled there from Maine, CT, NY and NJ but also a lot from CA too. I have seen most people in Durango vote on issues and not along party lines so you will see a liberal whoever and a conservative whoever elected along side each other. So this is a great city if you are liberal but you are also great if you aren't but I have to say one guy told me once that he was a conservative but didn't want to say so because he felt out of place, which I feel sorry for anyone who thinks they can't be what they believe. Anyway, thought you should know most people there are more concerned with their health and exercise then worrying about what someone believes in. This is one health nut city!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-07-2006 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-08-2006, 07:38 PM

119 posts, read 630,211 times
Thanks so much Crackerjack!
You've said everything I would want to hear about a place. It just seems so perfect. Both my husband and I are pretty laid back and do tend to vote more on issues at hand rather than sticking with a particular party. I guess I'm pretty liberal and not very political either! I was so set on Colorado Springs (can still see myself living there) but all this stuff about the weirdos out there doesn't sit right with me. Not to mention I think Durango might be a better fit for us since we're used to that kind of atmosphere here in CT. Durango just sounds a lot more interesting than CT. I've seen some pics of Durango and the one thing I like is the greenery like back east. Maybe that's why Durango gets a lot of people from around here (east). And how are the property taxes on say a house? How much do you think you would pay out in taxes a year on a house approx. 2,000 sf? The taxes over here can kill you. CT was ranked 3rd in the country for the highest taxes per capita. Colorado was 47th!!! It seems like almost a third of our mortgage payment goes to taxes. Oh yeah, would you happen to know, by chance, if the Durango police dept. gets a pension after retirement??? That can make or break if we even decide to move to Durango instead of CS. The other retirement alternative would be a 401K but that's not what we're after. CS just so happens to have a very good plan for retirement and that would be very important to us. Thanks otherwise for the good info.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Durango Info

Taxes are really cheap in Durango and La Plata, County. My brother's house is worth around 300,000 and he pays around 500 a year in taxes. My brother said Durango does have a retirement pension system and gave me this to give to you. It is a free government web site: [url=http://www.durangogov.org/resident/services/police.html]
It should give you all the info you need and contact info on getting specifics. There are areas around Durango that look really green like in CT, check out from Bayfield up to Vallecito and Animas Valley. Also when you are there, take the Durango-Silverton train to Silverton. It is really a neat trip and you can see the scenery around La Plata.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-08-2006 at 10:59 PM..

Old 06-09-2006, 08:47 AM

119 posts, read 630,211 times
Default $500?????????? a YEAR????

What??? holy cow I could afford a mansion then!!! just kidding. We bought our house for $200,000 3 years ago here...it's only 1,900 sf and we pay close to $4,000 a year!! That's just unbelievable. Thanks. We'll have to check out the gov page to get more info. You've been very helpful. You should be a Durango recruiter!

Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 PM

393 posts, read 1,713,327 times
Wouldn't u know I drove for a week all over CO, and when I was heading West came about 20miles from Durango and decided to head North, thought it was nothing but more than desert and not much to see....... I did see GJ and thought it was beautiful but out in the middle of nowhere, is that how it seems in Durango? I mean no one has really touched on the terrain.....Is it kind of in the middle of nowhere surrounded by desert like GJ or it is in an area that is treed and forested........? what about flowering trees, rivers, and such any of that? Does it look like the North eastern part of the state, or does it look like the desert west.........Just curious.

Hi Curious.......wouldn't u know they threw another one at us.......

Old 06-10-2006, 05:36 AM

You are welcome Curious in CT. YIKES! Your taxes ARE high!

Sillygal, Durango is forested in the north and west with thick forested trees of aspens, pines, spruce and such. On the rivers and in the valleys in Durango, there are deciduous trees and they grow everything from apple trees to zelkovas. To the south is pinion and cedar trees and to the east is rolling hills with deciduous trees such as oaks, maples and cottonwoods spotted around along with other trees. The county and even the city has many zones from the south to the north it changes to many different climates. Farmington, New Mexico looks like Grand Junction. Durango looks like a small Colorado Springs but closer up in the mountains. In the city, they grow about every tree that can grow in zone 6. Zone 5 around the suburbs and zone 4 in the north past Hermosa. Zone 7 in the south. Zone 2 up at Silverton. Vast differences. The Animas River flows through Durango with thick trees along a most of it. My brother has in his yards, a yellow goldenchain tree, flame red goldenrain tree, sumac, Ohio Buckeye horsechestnut, Norway maple, flowering weeping cherry, a Globe Navajo willow among other trees. He grows lots of roses which do great there. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-10-2006 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-13-2006, 06:42 PM

453 posts, read 1,401,032 times
Default movin' to durango

Interesting and relevant topic for me... currently, I'm stuck in Phoenix and absolutely despise it. In about a year, I'm moving to Durango, and can't wait! I love the area. Perfect small community, lots of outdoor recreational options, great downtown, no crime, fantastic weather... so NOT Phoenix. I feel for ya, Crackerjack. Phoenix is awful, I would never recommend this place to anyone. The summers are one thing, but the truth is that there are just so many other valid reasons to loathe this place other than the climate that it's not even worth getting into.

Picture L.A. without the ocean, without great weather year round, and without any of the cool little enclaves like Venice or Manhattan Beach- but with all the same problems as L.A., insofar as the crime, traffic, pollution, sprawl, etc.- that's Phoenix. Get the picture?

Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 AM

Oh yes steve22, you hit Bingo on that one! I hate Phoenix too. I hate the constant hot. It just never gets cold. I long for the cool mountain air. The wonderful lakes around there and the Animas River. You have to sit by the AC all day here and you can't get out and do stuff outdoors like in Durango. I wouldn't go rock climbing here 'cause of the rattlesnakes and heat and with all the smog, it isn't good to be out running. All the traffic, forget about biking. All the crime, forget about leaving your windows open and letting in any air which in Phoenix there isn't any except hot dusty air. Wow, I long for Durango. I hope to be outta here in a year and I can't wait either! I have a picture of a Lake Electra (beautiful private lake north of Hermosa)and I look at it when I long for Durango. Also a picture of some mountain bikers riding like they do all the time up there. Good Luck on your move and soon for both of us it is "hasta la vista Phoenix!"

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-14-2006 at 12:31 AM..

Old 06-15-2006, 03:15 PM

453 posts, read 1,401,032 times
It's really just oo bad that I have to suffer here for over a year still before I can move... but I suppose that will just make it seem sweeter in the end. Durango vs. Phoenix in terms of quality of life is just no comparison. I really just can't understand why Phoenix would appeal to anyone... I mean, if you really hate snow and cold so much that you're willing to put up with temps so hot that you literally have to live in an air-conditioned cave for half the year, well, I suppose to each their own. I can tell you that it's not a choice I'd ever make again. Just remember that you can always put on more clothes if it gets too cold, but there's not much you can do here when it gets over 100 degrees to cool off other than sit inside or in your pool & pray for October. The hiking & biking here are nice, for 6 months. The parks & rec accessibility is pretty good, actually, at places like Piestewa and South Mountain. But that's about the only good thing I can say about it. Oh yeah, and Flag (one of the nicest little cities in the world, other than Durango, and a great refuge from the heat) is less than 2 hrs away. A major plus.

As a kid growing up in the midwest, I always loved winter- playing in the snow, playing hockey & other winter sports... I never felt housebound in the winter, & I remember all of my friends playing outside & loving the winter weather also. Here, you never see kids outside in the summer, it's literally dangerous. It would be awful to be a kid growing up here... and that's notwithstanding the terrible schools, the drug problem, and the violent crime epidemic. Gee, no wonder Phoenix was recently rated the 3rd-worst city in the country to raise kids in, just ahead of Cleveland and Detroit.

But more than that, this place just has no soul, no character, no identity. There's no downtown to speak of, just a big, sprawling suburb in every direction with cookie-cutout houses in stucco-clone neighborhoods, with the big-box stores and chain restaurants on every corner. No one seems to know or care about anyone or anything other than themselves, how they look, what kind of foreign car they drive, how their plastic surgery looks, etc. The whole place just has such a superficial, shallow, and disconnected vibe. It's hard to find anyone here who seems at all genuine and "real". Like I said, much like L.A., but hotter & no ocean.

Ah yes, can't wait for Durango. A classic little city, has that great genuine community feel to it that's sorely missing here. Phoenix has soured my taste for big-city living to the point that I doubt I'll ever live in a community this size again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado