U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,290 times

Advertisements

All,
I just found this forum and it is a great source of information about the Durango area. I am looking to move from Phoenix to the Durango are as soon as possible to escape this city.
The one main question I have is about my wife's business. My wife is a certified horseback-riding instructor and runs her own stable here in the Phoenix area. We are looking to purchase a house with some land and move her business to the Durango area. My question is does anyone feel that this business can be successful in this area? We are not looking to make a huge profit in this business but would need enough customers to cover the expenses for this business.
I feel that the area would be a great fit for her business and we could do well but would we be making a huge mistake leaving what we currently have?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 06:03 AM

827 posts, read 4,548,815 times
Very definitely she would do great in Durango! Between the tourists, the young riders learning to ride, there are a good many, and the cowboys and cowgirls in the area, she should do fine. She could also have horseback trips too since there are so many trails in the area to ride. I am in Phoenix too right now and moving to Durango soon so I know EXACTLY how you feel about Phoenix! I can't get out of Phoenix fast enough! Good Luck on your business and move!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:47 PM

13 posts, read 43,645 times
Default Another few questions!

We were steering away from Colorado, until we saw pictures of Durango! Now, our concerns...can you still have wood burning fireplaces?? Can someone help me make sense of 'water rights'? I have a few stories...like one friend who bought a house in Denver, only to find out that the previous owner did not pay their water bill, and the new owners had to pay it before water would be turned on. Another story is of buying water rights for a ranch that have increased in value 10 fold in the last 20 years...and another mentioned that water rights only apply to wells...then another site for real estate mentioned :
'Excellent water rights (1 ac-ft project + .01 cfs adjudicated). Private well yields 15 gpm. '
What does this mean?
Last question, in the SW area by Durango, we are looking to visit this fall, and want to look for affordable land to build on (insert dream log home), and close to a stream and close to existing jeep trails...but small,small city (an hour to a bigger city would be fine, small to us is 100 - 6000. Where should we start?
Thanks for any help!

Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 AM

The southwest counties still has wood burning stoves and fireplaces and they are not illegal to use. Most people are switching to wood pellets but that has created a shortage on pellets at times. More and more people are using natual gas or propane. Anyway, you still have your freedom to use wood burning stoves or fireplaces there. In the city of Durango itself, I am not sure. I do know it is OK out in the county. So any local citizens in the city limits of Durango, can you answer this one? Many of the homes in the city have fireplaces so I would assume it would be OK too.
It sound like though you will be living in a small town or in the country so that wont be an issue for you.

About water rights, I don't know about wells but usually I hear it applied to ditch rights meaning a ditch going through someone's property and then it goes through another property and so on, they usually have someone in charge to monitor who gets what so nobody is using more then their fair share. Someone with exclusive rights, as I understand it, if say there were to be a drought, the person with exclusive rights has first shot at the water, then it goes down the line. If someone else knows about well rights jump into the discussion. "Private well yields 15 gpm" is a well that will draw 15 gallons of water per minute. Excellent water rights would be what you would want if you can get it as you would have the first rights to water use or up near the top anyway.

About a small town, I would look at Mancos, population about 1,200 people. It isn't far from Cortez or Durango and there are creeks in the area. I can see a log cabin there or in Hesperus.
Hesperus, I love up in La Plata Canyon near Hesperus, beautiful but it gets more snow up in that canyon being higher up and near those beautiful mountains but clear creek water and aspens, it is so pretty.
Ticolote is another small town near Durango on the east side on County Road 228 and out in that area.
Bayfield is another town of about 2,000. It has excellent schools too, so something to consider. County Rd 501 north of Bayfield is good to look in that area and County Rd 521 south of Bayfield, good to look there too.
Hermosa is another town north of Durango and sits down in a valley. It is small. Go up Hwy 550 north of Durango until you get to Hermosa and have a look. Also look down County Rd 203. Creeks abound in all areas mentioned. I encourage you to take the Durango-Silverton train so you can get a good feel of all the area north of Durango as it travels through a good part of Durango and on out to Hermosa and small areas out that way.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-15-2006 at 01:11 AM..

Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 43,645 times
Thank you so much for your detailed answers! Going to check the cost of living out now. Do you happen to know if salt is used on the roads in winter?

Old 08-17-2006, 04:00 AM

You are welcome NancyJo. Durango is a pro-environmental city so they wont use salt on the roads. They might use some sand in areas if it needs it but usually it melts quick and just a quick plow is all they'll do.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 22,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJo View Post
Thank you so much for your detailed answers! Going to check the cost of living out now. Do you happen to know if salt is used on the roads in winter?
What did you find out about the cost of living?

I've found that it's not so much the cost of housing, but the difference between wages and housing. In Vegas, I make twice as much as I did in Florida with the same cost of housing. Hence, a better living. I'm afraid that SW CO will be a lot like SW Florida, which is not good at all. $10/hr for a good job just doesn't work when the avg house is over 300K.

Wayne

Old 08-18-2006, 02:23 AM

CactusJack, it depends on what you are looking for and if you have a diploma in some jobs. My brother is in construction and makes over 75,000 a year in Durango. You can make good money in the right occupations. Tech and computer jobs that pay good. Doctors do good there, retirees and such. Vets do good, tons of pets. My brother has met all kinds of people moving in from Maine to Hawaii and they are doing well there. Again, if you are looking at say Walmart or something, it will be low but good jobs exist there. You can see all the huge mega homes in the area and I know they must do well.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 157,321 times
Crackerjack - I have to say you are an amazing source of information!! I've been following this thread for a few weeks and another new one, also about Durango, and it is clear that you absolutely love the place!!

My husband and I are thinking of it as the next place we'll relocate too. We have friends who are heading that way this fall and we'll probably follow them within the year.

Thanks for sharing all you know and all you feel about the area!!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:11 AM

Default Durango #3 On Top Places To Live In America

Thanks Sayfrog! I do love Durango and I just found out from another fellow forum member that Durango ranks number 3 on places to live and number 1 in Colorado for small cities in America. Here are the links:

bizjournals.com/specials/pages/20.html - Regional leaders info.

bizjournals.com/specials/pages/21.html - Quality of Life info.

bizjournals.com/specials/slideshow/12.html?page=3 - Durango info.

bizjournals.com/specials/pages/18.html - If you want info on all 577 cities.

Businessmen are discovering what I have already discovered; that Durango is a great place with a good chance to make money. The area also has a high quality of life. Factor in great mountains, rivers, lakes and creeks, plus the beautiful area and you have a wonderful place to live.

Thanks again Sayfrog!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-23-2006 at 12:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado