U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:47 AM

11 posts, read 157,056 times

Advertisements

Wow! Crackerjack you are a veritable fountain of information!! You should be working for the city of Durango!! Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 PM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
You are welcome Sayfrog. When I move to Durango, I am going to ask the city for free housing! I wish!!

For you and others, general additional information about Durango:

durango.org

For business:

durangobusiness.org

Their email: chamber@durangobusiness.org
970-247-0312 or Fax 970-385-7884 or write:
Durango Business
PO Box 2587 Durango, CO 81302

Take care!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-24-2006 at 12:10 AM..

Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,639,474 times
Default Question for Crackerjack

Thanks for all your info. I was serious about relocating from California to Denver, but now seriously considering Durango. I am originally from Iowa, now in the service in California. Been here for 7 months, cant wait to leave. Same reasons as everyone else, too expensive, too much crime, schools suck. When I get done with my enlistment with the military, I will be a recent grad of I.T. (the networking side). I noticed in your other posts the IT industry is faily decent in that area, but I have not found a website that has any jobs posted for that field. What websites/newspapers/companies would you suggest for that?

I also have two other ideas that involve starting my own business, and wanted to see what you thought since you are familiar with the area (anyone else can chime in on this, please). You have said the area is growing by leaps and bounds. I was thinking about getting into either painting houses or siding houses as a sub-contractor. Do you think there is too much competition in the area, or that would be a good idea??

The other idea would be to open some sort of retail place. Maybe a movie rental place or a bar. Is the area already too flooded with these sorts of businesses, or is it a feasable thing to get into?

Any input from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Luke

Old 08-25-2006, 04:11 AM

Default Durango Information

Luke, I would look into sub-contracting. There are so many people also building homes for themselves and need help. Painting houses would probably do good too. Lots of Victorian style homes but also wood siding homes too. It might be useful to learn to do stucco and adobe, since there are many of those too. Tile installers, concrete stuff, anything like that, you would do good. Landscapers do good. Durango is able to have many kinds of trees and flowers. Many people in Durango are getting into solar and environmental homes so that would do good. Really anything in building will do good.

About businesses, Durango needs more retail businesses. They have several movie houses like Blockbuster and Louisa's so probably not those. Durango needs more seafood places. There are massive amounts of visitors that come to Durango every year but not really any seafood places like Captain Ds, Long John Silvers or Red Lobsters. They would make good money with the tourists, locals and college. Durango has plenty of chinese type restaurants, sushi bars and things like that. A large, all natural food store, would do extremely well. They have two smaller ones that are good but they can be really crowded and not much parking at them. Health things would go over well; they are an outdoorsy bunch of people.

They could use more department type stores. Electronic stores would do good with all the computer people there and college. They have Radio Shack and Office Depot but I am talking more about the Best Buy type of stores. They could use more furniture stores. I know my sister-in-law said she has to go over to Farmington to buy furniture. Farmington, New Mexico has lots of stores, it is about 50 miles away but locals would rather buy in Colorado, if possible. The area has lots of "mom and pop" type of stores. Hobby stores would do good like Hobby Lobby. College students - something like 5,000 students, artists - many there, lots of craft type people, train people - those who love trains and so forth, so it would do good.
They could use another supermarket. They have two City Markets and an Albertsons but they are really crowded. There are none in the southeast area, out where Three Springs will be located, so a good place for one.

Computer jobs, look in the Durangoherald.com in classifieds for those. Durangobusiness.org is another place that will list different businesses in the area with addresses.

About bars, they love music in Durango, so any that would be geared toward music, especially live bands - lots of musicians in Durango, would do good. Jazz, big bands, bluegrass, live bands, rock and roll bands, would thrive. Theaters geared toward tourists like those "Medieval castle or pirate ships" or any themed live theater houses would do very well. Artsy crew in Durango, so broadway type theaters and such would do good. Again with about 5,000 college kids, lots of tourists and all the surrounding suburbs and towns - people come into Durango for nightlife, any of those would do good. Hope this helps give you some direction.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-25-2006 at 05:32 AM..

Old 11-10-2006, 03:41 AM

I have had several PMs asking about moving to Durango, what is the best part to live in. I have to say, I can't think of any bad part. There are a couple of mobile home parks that I would stay clear of, but other than that, I can't think of any place. There are a lot of college students, so when renting, you might make sure they aren't going to be a problem for you. They are basically good students, but you know college and parties go together with many at that age, so just keep that in mind.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:06 AM

55 posts, read 194,538 times
Red face Durango or Bozeman, Mt?

Hi. I love this forum....so much information. My husband and I are looking to relocate to a mountain area. We love the outdoors and would like to have better access to them. We have two children ages 11 and 7 so need good schools. Also looking for kid activities and community. Need great schools, good soccer programs, community events. Can anyone give me the positives/negatives in growing up in either or these places? What do the teens do for recreation? Any info is appreciated. We want to go into this rather large move (and last move till the kids are up and gone!) well educated. Thx!:

Old 11-13-2006, 04:25 AM

LFults, Durango is the place for what you are seeking. Mountains, hiking, biking, kayaking and lots more. Schools are great. Bayfield has excellent schools. It is a small town near Durango, but Durango has great schools too. Soccer is number one in Durango and should your kids go to local Fort Lewis College, they have one of the best soccer teams around. Lots for kids to do in Durango. Skiing up at the ski resort. Many community activities, local groups to join. If they like art, acting, dancing or music, they can pursue it there. There are lakes, creeks and rivers for fun. Navajo Lake is a large warm water lake for boating, water skiing, jet skiing. You can snowmobile and cross country ski or snowboard in the winter. They have health clubs, hot springs, swim clubs, on and on. For teen dates, there are movies, dancing, many hip restaurants, coffee houses, rock, country, jazz and hip hop concerts. There are many churches, a taste for everyone, so lots of church activities and so forth. There is horseback riding, camping, a skate park for skateboarding, an indoor ice skating rink, a large Community Recreation Center and they have a bunch of parades, fairs and festivals such as Snowdown. The ice rink is year round for activites such as hockey. Lots to do.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-13-2006 at 04:45 AM..

Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM

Smile Software Jobs in Durango?

Crackerjack,

Thanks for the info. You have so much knowledge of the area and it is SO helpful to talk with someone who knows the "ins and outs". It sounds so wonderful and the photos we've pulled up are outstanding. A little afraid of the "too good to be true" line of thought. I have seen in other posts that you mention software companies in Durango? Although my husband would be bringing his job with him, should his start up fold, I'm wondering what the opportunities are for a software architect?

LFults

Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 PM

LFults, software companies do extremely well in Durango. Some on the top of my mind are Mercury Payment, Thinknettech, PCS, Blackhawk, Data West, Fowler, Saul's Creek, Summit Software, Synergy and many more. There are computer consulting companies, computer repairs, training, security, networking, etc. Graphic artists are in demand there. A lot of advertising agencies in Durango, with computer designers, are also in demand. Durango is a very tech city.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Crackerjack,

thanks. We'll check those out. I think I've asked you the same question on another thread...sorry..Just researching like crazy and sometimes getting lost with all the various info! Jobs are certainly the biggest worry for us. Everything else looks great. Trying to make myself (and my husband!) feel comfortable with the risk. Your input continues to be so helpful!! Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado