U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 4,011 times

Advertisements

Hello, my hubby and I are considering a move to the Durango area and want some honest input about being able to make a living there. We live on the front range and are tired of the pace. Hubby is from western slope and I've lived in co for 22 years. We've lived on the front range, summit county and roaring fork valley. No kids, just 2 dogs. Hubby has background in maintenance, construction and car mechanic work. I've handled insurance claims, office work, medical office, customer service, sales. We love the outdoors and miss being able to access this easy. We aren't city people. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 11:58 AM

22,727 posts, read 41,604,017 times
A sort-of way to gauge the job market in Durango is look at the ads on craigslist to see if anyone is hiring.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:15 PM

11,886 posts, read 13,694,474 times
Spend a week there, talk to locals.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM

7,424 posts, read 6,927,084 times
Plenty of construction going on so a job in that field should be easy.I made a great living there the past 46 years as a carpenter.Retired 2 years ago.My secret is I never tried to live there to expensive.I live 30 miles west and bought twice the house for half the price and commuted or camped near my jobs.Helpful if you have a lot of money renting is very expensive for a decent place.Area is beautiful but getting crowded.I do all my jeeping and hunting fishing over here now on weekdays and am usually alone.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:41 PM

5,226 posts, read 10,495,094 times
You could also be able to make a good living in the Buena Vista/Salida area, since there is a ton of building going on and a shortage of good, experienced builders. Problem is that you need a bucket load of money to be able to afford to live in the area.

Realtor.com will give you an idea of prices for both purchasing and renting a house.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:40 PM

7,424 posts, read 6,927,084 times
^^^ Seems to be a major problem everywhere $$$$$.Housing is so overpriced add to that investors buying it up for rentals starting out is getting hard on young people.My daughter in denver with a great job accepts she would never afford a house and will rent forever.But she can afford too.She grew up in Mancos pop 1300.But loves the city life.My other daughter lives in Ft Collins and has a nice cookie cutter house made of space age cardboard.Who knows if anything is worth it anymore.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:11 PM

13,133 posts, read 7,683,288 times
Like others have suggested, your husband would probably do well. You on the other hand might be in for a shock. My oldest daughter (single) liked the area and tried living there twice. Each time she had a full time job in addition to a couple of side or part time jobs. Couldn't save a dime and finally left for good.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:21 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,729,823 times
I think it's what you want to make of it, it will be expensive but the tradeoff is access to the outdoors. Since you've lived in Summit and RFV you aren't strangers to a resort area with seasonal employment issues, tourists, high costs or living and lack of amenities.

I live in the Vail area and I'm happy to live here despite the issues of living in a resort town. I can walk my dogs safely in the dark, we really only lock our doors to keep the bears out, I know and like my neighbors and we all help each other out when we get a big snow storm. It's a good life despite the cost of living here but I find we need less than and spend less than living in a city.

I would go hang out in Durango for a week and talk to everyone about work and housing opportunities. We have the Eagle County Classifieds on FB and it's a great resource to find jobs, rentals and the pulse of the community, I'm sure Durango has something like that too.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:19 PM

959 posts, read 743,936 times
Durango, CO is a growing city for next 50 years, and (future) over $1 million all homes area. Construction jobs will be here to stay for a lifetime.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,736,407 times
Bring lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!! Housing is very expensive. I live 20 miles east in Bayfield where the cost isn't as high..... more for your money. But even Bayfield prices are rising. Seems everybody wants to live in and around Durango.

https://www.zillow.com/la-plata-county-co/home-values/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or