Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,715 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to CO and looking at Canon City, Col. Springs and Pueblo. Young retirees who want a quiet lifestyle with golf nearby. Nightlife not important. Looking for mountain views and room to romp with our dogs. Any thoughts from y'all? We are trying to get away from the high humidity in the South in the summer months, but don't want to be snowed in for months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 10:30 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
My dad has a new development down there. It's just starting out but it's just less than a mile from a golf course.

If you are interested in it, please PM me. I can't post it here. But perhaps you would be interested in their vision. The realtor is quite the nice guy.

I am planning (although I am no where near retirement) to move there in the next year or so. It's such a nice place.

Oh and I will not be able to move into the houses that are planned for the property but I love the area but it's still close enough to my dad that I can justify it.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:40 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
BTW, C Springs offers a lot for retirees.

Good resources if you are into various community things and even extending into church.

I have lived here 35 of my 38 years and my father (who is probably older than you) loves it here.

Anyhow, if you can give more specific information, I am sure we accomodate you.

Despite the last blizzard we had here in C Springs that reached from the New Mexico border to the Wyoming border, this is very unusual.

Most any community in CO will fit your needs with golf (they golf around here most any time of the year) Most Front Range communities have excellent mountain views.

But, if you do desire some culture like Broadway shows, concerts and such, Colorado Springs up to Denver are your best best. There are several nice communities that are in between C Springs and Denver that help you have a semi-secluded lifestyle while offering golf, winter sports and cultural activities.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:39 AM

184 posts, read 440,208 times
We currently live in No. VA and bought land near Canon City where we plan to retire. We love it there! Each time we visit we find more about the area that we like. We do enjoy good restaurants and were concerned that Canon wouldn't have much to offer but we've found some very good restaurants there and it's very inexpensive compared to what we pay here.

During this recent snow storm I heard from a coworker who's parents live in Pueblo that they had about 6 inches of snow while Canon had not received any snow. Not sure if that's the norm but the area does seem protected by the nearby mountains and it's quite beautiful.

I've read that the area is expected to double in size within the next 5 years so perhaps the secret is out.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:53 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Default Did you say golf.....

Lots already posted here on Canon City, use the Search this Forum tool with key words Canon, golf, weather, etc.

New Tom Weiskopf championship course up at Flying Horse (FH), here on the north end of Colorado Springs, just across the valley from the USAF Academy.

Try googling "flying horse +colorado springs" and you'll get it. Our home was built by one of the several good builders up at FH, lovely stuff, mostly $400k to $800k+.

We get snow, got a foot from the blizzard, Denver got a more due to topography of the region. Search on Palmer Divide for a posting about it and how it effects our weather.

We moved here from the DC area last year to get away from the humidity, crowdedness, high prices, etc. Love it here.

s/Mike

Old 12-24-2006, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,715 times
You can email us the info on your Dad's stuff at rwfulton@suddenlink.net. Thanks!

Old 12-26-2006, 04:29 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,974 times
Colorado Springs is an pretty little city. Canon City is a pretty little town. Maybe considered semi rural. Yes we are protected by the hills and mountains and in a bowl. But it is a small bowl and not many miles to be out of it. We are warmer in the winter & summer than Colorado Springs. The cost of homes are a great deal cheaper than CS. Pueblo is a small city and is farther out on the prairies but in view of mts. It is hotter in summer and usually colder in winter. Not protected by mts. as some of CS is or CC is. Canon has a golf club, one in Florence 15 miles away and Pueblo and CS have several. They are only 40 some miles away. I don't like cities so I prefer living where I can get to them and what they offer but don't have to live with all the traffic problems among other things. I do live out far enough to have a some space and have some animals and no neighbors in my backpocket but like everywhere else, people are closing in.

No snow in this last snow storm but we can get some good ones, they seldom last long.

Last edited by Nadine; 12-26-2006 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: a word that did not belong

Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 12,626 times
Smile Coloradomiss

Hi...
Am just wondering about medical care in Canon City, Florence, and Penrose...How are the doctors there and the hospitals..or would you go to Colorado Springs or ......? for your medical care? I am very healthy and active but am getting older and want good doctors/hospitals available should they be needed.
Thank you !!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 PM

184 posts, read 440,208 times
Great question! I've been researching that myself and so far am planning to go to the Springs for their excellent hospital ratings (both Penrose-St. Francis and Memorial). But not sure about the Dr part...sure would be nice to get local care in Canon. Look forward to hearing others' experiences.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 PM

178 posts, read 604,978 times
While in Canon City my family and I went to Pueblo for medical care. When my wife went into labor with my son we drove to Parkview hospital in Pueblo where she gave birth. Fortunately, it was early in the morning and there was almost no traffic so we made it with plenty of time to spare. I was very impressed with Parkview and also with Memorial hospital in the Springs when I went there. There is a hospital in Canon City called St. Thomas Moore and they do the best they can with limited resources but I would definitely recommend Pueblo or the Springs. My wife started out seeing a doctor in Canon City and soon switched to a much better doctor in Pueblo. I'm not saying all doctors in Canon are bad but you are much more likely to find a good doctor in Pueblo or the Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado