U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,996,055 times

Advertisements

Much thanks, everyone. You guys are on the job!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
Wonder how long this thread will stay alive. The sailing information in these posts are still correct. The only thing I will add is that many of the ponds are day sailing only. No overnights on the boat in many places. A lot of places allow the boat to be moored, but still do not allow the person to stay. Some go as far as restricting pets from being in the water. Most of the water is drinking water for nearby communities. So they do not want the waters contaminted. Many of the smaller bodies of water are wakeless (no power boats). I stick to these as the power boats , when allowed, are not accustomed to sailboats and will swing in close to have a look. When I first arrived, I thought it the strangest thing to come around a mountain curve and see sailboat masts miles from the nearest body of water. Not any more.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
Looking like this thread might be alive again, I will post a question. I am considering my first sailboat in Colorado. I used to sail quite a bit on Lake Michigan out of Chicago. I am wondering what the perfect, or close to perfect, size sailboat would be for trailering around CO? I am leaning toward 21' - 25'. Family of 4 sailing with friends aboard on occasions. Thanks!!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 8,764 times
Default Sailing in CO...

I think if it hooks you it's a lifelong addiction. Sailing that is. I moved to CO a couple years ago. Like you I sailed on Lake Michigan, out of Waukegan Harbor. I've sailed on Lake Superior, The Great Salt Lake, the Pacific, and one brief sail on Lake Dillon.

After 2 years with no sailing the urge is overpowering so I'm resurrecting this post from the dead.

To answer your question my first response would be a Catalina 25. Cheap, plentiful, OEM and aftermarket parts easy to find, and lots of online information and support from user groups. Look for the wing keel version for easier launching and trailering.

Would love to hear about the pros and cons of the various sailing lakes including McConaughey (sp?) in NE woudl be welcome!

Anybody looking for crew on Chatfield IM me!

Thanks,
Hobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym99 View Post
Looking like this thread might be alive again, I will post a question. I am considering my first sailboat in Colorado. I used to sail quite a bit on Lake Michigan out of Chicago. I am wondering what the perfect, or close to perfect, size sailboat would be for trailering around CO? I am leaning toward 21' - 25'. Family of 4 sailing with friends aboard on occasions. Thanks!!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:11 PM

7,166 posts, read 6,428,751 times
Lifelong Sailor here Did a lot of Sailing here in SW CO the San Juan Sailing club in the old days was the best.All gone now everything is about money. We used to do trips to Baja,Catilina Island etc. Sold my last boat just in time.Yes I miss it but I still Crew for serious blue water boats for free. Even try fishing in SW CO the fees will make that trout cost 50 bucks a pound. $$$$$$$$$$ turned me off. got my elk and deer tags for Muzzleloader season so until they price me out that is my passion.I miss Sailing. a mac 26 with water ballast would be my choice I got in deep sheet in the sea of cortez and it took it I had my daughters 3 & 5 and felt safe,30 day trip

Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 PM

463 posts, read 976,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym99 View Post
Yankee/Dolphin 24, Sparkman and Stevens design, Sweet as can be:

Dolphin24.org - A Website For Dolphin Owners and Others Interested in this Classic Design

And there was one on Craigslist (in DelNorte of all places!) about 3 months ago.

Fair winds...

Old 07-12-2014, 12:09 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,058,636 times
Far more Catalina 22's in this area than larger boats .... with a swing keel and shallower draft for launching than larger boats (even other swing-keel boats) ...

IMO, these are about the best all-rounder sailboat for the lakes in the area. I agree that they're a little cruder for amenities (it's not much better than camping in a small trailer and you have to set up/take down the galley and dinette when you change over to sleeping accomodations), but we've taken ours many places that a Catalina 25 simply wouldn't go. In the later season with prospective lower water depths and exposed launching ramps, the incremental difference in draft for the 22 is enough to be the difference between getting launched/retrieved over the larger boats.

We've kept everything up to a 32' fixed keel boat in the waters around here. Dillon, Grandby, McConnaughy, Pueblo Res, Carter, Horsetooth, Chatfield, Cherry Creek, etc. The sailing is still a wonderful experience.

Be prepared for sudden, violent storm conditions to pick up anytime and move on through as quickly as they arrived; it's not uncommon for this to happen several times through the course of a day in the mountain conditions. I've seen folk seriously injured from being complacent about the variability of the sailing conditions here ... sudden jibes, being blown ashore to a rocky shoreline in overpowering conditions even with reduced sail aloft (and inadequate rudder authority or weathervaning of a hull due to profile). I know from personal experience that boats like a Chrysler 22 are not capable craft in the local sailing conditions. Depending upon your boat and the day's sailing conditions, it may be prudent to wear man overboard gear for much of the time on the water and it's always part of my gear when sailing my dinghies (Laser, etc).

Don't forget that the mountain lakes may present a very shallow thermocline. Not uncommon for it to be a matter of a couple feet, if not just inches below the surface to near freezing temps. Hypothermia can set in within a couple of minutes, so prevention to overboard incidents is important and prompt retrieval is important. Be prepared and sail safe ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or