Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:19 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Colorado’s national park with the coolest climate would be Rocky Mountain NP. I think they are opening for some uses now, but again check with them for details.

There should be plenty of VRBOs near it. Whether/when the owners are opening for business is the question.
The latest news, Rocky Mountain National Park is open, but you need to make a reservation to enter the Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 08:32 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Great. I was there Monday and it was closed.

About every 4th plate I saw on US-160 between Walsenburg and Alamosa on Sunday and Monday was a TEXAS plate.
Because when the only thing one can do for exercise and entertainment is something outdoors, one starts to realize how much outdoors TOTALLY SUCKS in Texas. Sorry to invade your beautiful state. You'll really hate me when I finally move there. If it helps, I am a lifelong Broncos fan

Old 06-04-2020, 01:53 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Because when the only thing one can do for exercise and entertainment is something outdoors, one starts to realize how much outdoors TOTALLY SUCKS in Texas. Sorry to invade your beautiful state. You'll really hate me when I finally move there. If it helps, I am a lifelong Broncos fan
I call BS on TX outdoors being totally a zero.

Big Bend NP, Guadalupe NP, Davis Mountains SP, Big Bend State Ranch, Palo Verde Canyon...I’m sure there are other great places.

The Broncos fan thing is not a plus.

OOPS, forgot a great birding area: Goose Island SP and Aransas NWR. Plus Padre Island NS.

Last edited by pikabike; 06-04-2020 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 01:57 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:

Big Bend NP, Guadalupe NP, Davis Mountains SP, Big Bend State Ranch, Palo Verde Canyon...I’m sure there are other great places.

Those areas are 5-10 hours from the major metros of the state. Unless you like oppressive heat and humidity, grimy reservoirs, brown ocean water, and mediocre hiking, the Texas Triangle (where Marsha lives) is an outdoor wasteland. Austin is the only metro with interesting terrain, but it's a couple rungs below Denver.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Honestly the only people who seem to have problems here are the blowhard, die-hard Texas Kool-Aid chuggers who run around telling anybody who'll listen (and even some who won't) about how great Texas is, let everyone regularly know how they did things "back in Texas," and/or make their new house in {insert state here} look like Texas threw up all over it.

I personally like the occasional homer who says "you know Colorado was part of the Republic of Texas, right?" like I should give a crap about a country that lasted a split second in the grand scheme of things and died nearly 200 years ago.

People who're overly-boastful about their home state in their new state rub everybody the wrong way, not just the natives.

For the record, I'm not a native Coloradan, and I've never had a problem here.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 06-04-2020 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 05:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Everybody is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Just the sheer volume of them TX plates though, a real surprise. Is there like a club or something? () Y'all get together and decide to come here all at once? And why here? Just because it's the closest place to cool off, or.....?

Old 06-04-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Just the sheer volume of them TX plates though, a real surprise. Is there like a club or something? () Y'all get together and decide to come here all at once? And why here? Just because it's the closest place to cool off, or.....?
I know a lot of people from my time in Dallas who escape DFW's epically crap summers in three places - Beaver's Bend, OK, New Mexico (specifically Taos and Ruidoso/Cloudcroft), and Colorado. There are a metric ton of Texans who have summer homes from the fringes of the SLV up through Salida and over toward Crested Butte.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:14 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
Quote:

OOPS, forgot a great birding area: Goose Island SP and Aransas NWR. Plus Padre Island NS.
Yeah - none of those are remotely close to me, nor do I care to visit them. Been in Texas my whole life, and i don’t feel like I’m missing out by not visiting those places. Plus all of these places are effffffinnnngggg HOT in the summer. That’s reason #1 I tend to get out of Texas in the summer. Add on Houston humidity, and you’ve got 90+ degrees and 70-80% humidity... that means I don’t go out during the summer. I will take 100 degree days in dry heat all day long.

In the past we’ve gone to New Mexico (Angle Fire), Utah (Park City), and Victoria, BC Canada. I grew up vacationing in Colorado, but haven’t been back since being an adult. But love it there!!

Old 06-05-2020, 08:07 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:

If it was harvest season, I would definitely understand it. It's not talked about a lot, but Colorado is in the top 3 of states regarding potato production. Numbers wise I'm not sure of but IMO at least 80% of potatoes grown in Colorado come from the San Luis Valley. (ball park guess.) There are a lot of migrant workers coming up from Texas for work. The San Luis Valley is one big area--from Villa Grove to the north and Antonito to the south, it stretches nearly 100 miles, east to west from Del Norte to, say Fort Garland, it is about 50 miles west to east.

The only other reason I can think of is the people coming in from Pagosa Springs. I haven't been through Pagosa in a few years but the growth there is huge just like a lot of other towns on the western slope. I remember where we were at growth wise on the western slope, particularly Pagosa Springs and Durango. I spent the summer of '68 down there as a road crew laborer for the Forest Service. We covered the San Juan Nat'l Forest. There were a sizable amount of Texas people who owned land back then, especially in the South Fork area.

I'm with bluescreen73 regarding the weather. A trip to Texas is doable from Thanksgiving to say, early March. You get into late April and get ready for the sauna bath. Maybe it's just me. The people I know in central Texas always tells me that when people approach them and ask them "how do you get used to this humidity?" Their answer is "you don't ever really get used to it."

Old 06-05-2020, 09:21 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
The TX plates we are seeing in the Four Corners obviously belong to second-homers, RVers, and roadtrippers, not migrant farmworkers.

It has been noticeable since BEFORE the Stay at Home policy was loosened. We do get a lot of workers from NM, and some from UT and AZ, but the TX drivers are just taking COVID-19 holiday time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado