U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:22 AM

31 posts, read 161,230 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been to Glenwood Springs? Try living there on $14 an hour and see how it goes. It is very difficult to get American workers at that pay, especially for that kind of work.

Also the rate of new construction is huge in Western Colorado, there most likely isn't enough workers to keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,273 times
Default Gould construction

Does anyone have the phone number to contact gould construction about applying for an opening

Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,208,400 times
The "worker" problem is a little more simple than a lot of folks want to recognize: It's very expensive to live in the area.

So, only if you're a person who doesn't mind living 3 or 4 couples in a 2-3 bedroom house in the area, can you get by on a relatively low income.

But, given your choice, in the winter, between long hours of rugged hard outdoor physical work and say ... working in the glamorous ski industry, and maybe a lift pass as a benefit, and time to enjoy it ... which do you think the average person who can choose will do?

Come summertime, when the higher paying construction trades jobs abound ... again, who's gonna choose the lower paying long hours general labor job? There's mountains to hike, fish, and bike out there just for the taking ....

$14.00/hour may seem like a lot of money to those in a more reasonable cost area, but it's not a living wage for two wage earners in this area.

FWIW, I knew a lot of ski instructors in the area who couldn't make ends meet on their wage and (sometimes) astronomical tips with another part-time job or two ... sales clerking in a store when the slopes closed for the day, waiting tables (tips$$$), snow removal, line cooks, etc. Anything and everything to bring in enough income to be able to hit the slopes with in-trade discount skis, boots, clothing, googles, sunglasses, etc.

When mud season hit, they were gone; some to return for summertime employment, rafting, fishing guide/multiple jobs, some left to chase the ski trade in the Southern hemisphere.

It's a hard way of life and not conducive to a family situation and a normal life. So, outside of college students looking for a party/ski break or highly motivated ski types, you've got to be pretty desperate to work there for only $14.00/hour. With that wage, that's all you'll do up there is work.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:52 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,902,628 times
Heck, even in Colorado Springs (used to drive up to Glenwood, Carbondale, Basalt, Snowmass, Aspen when I sold windows back in the day from Grand Junction) living on $14 an hour is the pits after taxes.

$20 or more an hour is best and that's not possible in a lot of industries down here.

Having been part of the building boom up in the Roaring Fork Valley, you can't make a good living and expect to not have a buttload of roommates if only working at $14 an hour.

Housing up there is much more expensive than it is on the Front Range and in Grand Junction. But living in Grand Junction and driving up to a job in the area is nearly impossible. Rifle is nearly impossible now because of the rough-necks (oil industry guys for those not in the know) who have taken over the town and even the hotels from what the Denver Post has written.

To work and live in Glenwood takes much more than $14 an hour.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:48 AM

155 posts, read 222,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Heck, even in Colorado Springs (used to drive up to Glenwood, Carbondale, Basalt, Snowmass, Aspen when I sold windows back in the day from Grand Junction) living on $14 an hour is the pits after taxes.

$20 or more an hour is best and that's not possible in a lot of industries down here. Having been part of the building boom up in the Roaring Fork Valley, you can't make a good living and expect to not have a buttload of roommates if only working at $14 an hour.

Housing up there is much more expensive than it is on the Front Range and in Grand Junction. But living in Grand Junction and driving up to a job in the area is nearly impossible. Rifle is nearly impossible now because of the rough-necks (oil industry guys for those not in the know) who have taken over the town and even the hotels from what the Denver Post has written.

To work and live in Glenwood takes much more than $14 an hour.
I am from CO, moving back after 5 years in Orlando.

I have to say for $14/h, OMG, there would be line sof people down here trying to get paid that much!! Wages down here are the pits, but here, these jobs are all taken by illegal aliens and the US workers never have a CHANCE to get the job at that pay rate. OH here in Orlando, even if you make $30/h, you will still have rommmates, believe me.

My hubby is a Paralegal with a certified degree and he's getting paid $12/h down here, with 1 year of exp. He would GLADLY dig ditches for a while for $14/h.

Can you people post who is this employer, because he might take that for $14/h. That is a lot of money. We need to get some job leads in his area ASAP, and $14/h is a lot!!

Now here is the unfairness of all: Illegal aliens don't pay ANY taxes, so they get a clean $14/h and free healthcare from the state, while my legal husband will have to pay taxes and if he gets sick, he has to pay his own hospital bills!!

SICKENING!!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:57 AM

155 posts, read 222,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE THE U.S.A. View Post
I too saw the tv show about the mex. immigrants being so wounderful.
They sure did paint a rosey picture. I believe that one of the ladds was
named TRI(?) with an illegal drivers licence. Didn't he ework for GOULD.
Didn't the show say that GOULD does alot of gov. work? Doesn't the gov.want to let all of the illegal's in with ammnesty? I do not understand any of this. If they are over crowding home's where is the health dept. Why has
the police not shut down that lady who makes forged document's.
Please explain this to me ??????

LOVE THE U.S.A.
Oh and I want to add this: You folks may not be aware, but when you hire a legal worker and he pays his own taxes, the EMPLOYER has to MATCH the Social Security contributions up to a certain Dollar amount. The COMPANY WANTS the illegals, even if he had the option to pay US workers the same wage.

Now here is the question: why won't ICE come and pick these illegals up?

If there is a forger, then why won't the feds bust her up?? Do we want illegals to get fake IDs and then commit another 9/11??

Does anyone have any ideas??

I am sorry I am relocating to CO, I have been out 5 years, I had no idea it is turing out to be anotehr Florida/Illegal Alien haven!!

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE get me the telephone # of teh construction company, $14/h is a LOT OF MONEY!! We are moving in April, please get me the info, we need a $14/h job we are legal!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:09 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou2007 View Post
Can someone PLEASE PLEASE get me the telephone # of teh construction company, $14/h is a LOT OF MONEY!! We are moving in April, please get me the info, we need a $14/h job we are legal!!!
$14/h is NOT a lot of money in the Roaring Fork Valley. Trust me, you couldn't put food on the table even if you worked 2-3 jobs at $14/h.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,270 times
Default gbrig

I worked construction in the Aspen area in the 70's. A heavey equipment operator made more tha $14.00 an hour then. They were union and trained. It is irresponsible for builders to put ANY worker on heavy equipment whose experience seems to be just showing up. If you noticed in the report, there were laborers backfilling a trench with absoloutly no shroring.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:03 PM

31 posts, read 161,230 times
The Walmart in glenwood started cashiers at $10-12/hr a few years ago. Walmart. They were still paying less than $6 in Grand Junction (probably still are). Walmart does not pay starting cashiers a liveable wage so you can imagine how expensive it really is to live there. You're better off going to Grand Junction and making $10/hr in a general construction position. You may make a little less but your rent would likely be half of what it is in Glenwood.

I live in Chicago and pay about the same amount in rent as I would in Glenwood and make more than twice as much as I would there. I'd advise you to really look around before you decide on Glenwood. It's beautiful there but not an easy place to survive because of the wages.

Edit: Also if you have a dislike of immigrants you would probably not be comfortable in CO, especially not in the construction industry. Without immigrants there would likely not even be much of a construction industry in CO.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 40,182 times
Mary Lou,
We are relocating to GWS as well in a few weeks. I cannot locate Gould's phone number, but maybe that is not the right company to work for in any case. I would question the character of their leadership based on what has been happening. This will feed your family so that should be important. I will try to find some leads for your husband to work when we get there, maybe something will develop w/my husbands new employer for him also. Pls feel free to email me seperately tsn214@msn.com Blesssings....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or