Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,740 times

Advertisements

www.postindependant.com is the area newspaper. There are many many desperate companies out there looking for good skilled workers. I hope your not in need of childcare. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 10:27 AM

26,171 posts, read 48,888,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downvalleygurly View Post
....I hope you're not in need of childcare. Good Luck.
That seems an opportunity for anyone looking to start a childcare business, and in a very lovely area at that.

Every problem is an opportunity for someone to create their own future and financial security.

s/Mike from back east

Old 02-17-2007, 10:26 PM

642 posts, read 2,546,761 times
What kind of nightlife is around Glenwood Springs?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:38 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,054,760 times
Glenwood Springs is mostly tourism based ... and reasonably close to "party central": Aspen.

So, there's just about every kind of entertainment you can imagine, from cinema to theater to music (classical and other genres), discussion group forums, bars, restaurants ... or just hanging out at the Hot Springs pool in Glenwood.

Seasonally, there's horseback rides to remote mountain camps & fine dining, or "cowboy" type dinners with "western" entertainment.

There's enough wilderness around to pack or ride into for just enjoying the outdoors under the stars, too.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:45 PM

41 posts, read 215,085 times
FYI the going rate for a day laborer (illegal, legal - whoever's at the bus stop that morning) in this area of Connecticut is $120 a day plus lunch. Typical day is about 8 hours. That's about $15 an hour. If they are skilled at masonry, painting or carpentry they earn more. With own transport they also earn more. The contractors who pick up these guys every morning are the ones to blame - they don't want to bother filing paperwork or paying social security.. they hire these guys for $120 a day, work their butts off, and the contractor makes a nice profit off their backs. It's a really expensive area to live in, and these people are willing to sleep 3 or 4 to a room, 10 to a house.. and just work really hard.

In the 6 years I have lived around here, never once has a local kid come by asking if he could mow the lawn, clean gutters, shovel snow, rake leaves. Nope. They think it is beneath them to do that kind of thing.

I have friends with children, who have a difficult time finding highschool girls willing to even babysit. I guess they don't need the money? The going rate for a babysitter is around $10 an hour .. plus it's typical to pay for a pizza/takeout.. so these kids are making $50 cash for a Friday night, if they can be bothered!

Also I have to say - the post here about costing $125 to get a green card is not anywhere close to the truth. It is a long, complicated process and just because you got into the country, does not mean you can just front up and get a green card. Some of these people risked everything to get here, the last thing they want to do is flag themselves up to the INS, they are terrified they will be deported. I don't know what the solution is but I wish someone in govt would figure it out so that they can pay taxes and get basic medical coverage.

Lets not forget that most people in this country are descended from immigrants from some point in time.. it was just a lot less complicated then.. you could just arrive on a boat and start working. Where I currently live, I ride through the woods on old abandoned stone roads that were handbuilt by Italian immigrant laborers many years ago.

Supply and demand....

Old 02-20-2007, 10:58 AM

26,171 posts, read 48,888,485 times
Default newlysgl

Thanks for a great post.

As Mod for CO, I need to keep this discussion focused on Glenwood Springs, as per the original post (OP). It seems that almost every discussion on the immigration issue soon escalates into the national issues, at which time we move them to the Politics Forum, into the Immigration sub-forum.

So everyone please maintain focus on how this issue plays in and/or affects life in Glenwood Springs, CO.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 AM

6 posts, read 22,787 times
The issue of Illegal immigrants in GWS is huge. There is more and more crime every day and it is the illegals being busted. Of course, they are NOT the only ones, but the majority yes.

It feels weird purchasing something somewhere and the cashier cannot speak english. It is intimidating to walk into the 7-11 in Carbondale and have a bunch of illegal immigrants standing around making cat calls.

Gould Construction
6874 Highway 82
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
(970) 945-7291

Call em up, get a job. But please be legal and please have a place to live

Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 PM

62 posts, read 282,636 times
Default The Labor shortage

My Mother and Brother live in Glenwood Springs. They are both unskilled laborers and make $10.00 per hour . The scenario is that the demand for labor far exceeds the labor supply in Glenwood. Wal-Mart pays $10.00 per hour instead of $7.00 per hour, otherwise the prospective employee will look elsewhere. The cost of living is very high so it tends to keep the moderate wage earners away. Those who decided to commute would probably need an incentive such as higher wages or free transportation.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,523 times
Default Midwest granny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE THE U.S.A. View Post
I too saw the tv show about the mex. immigrants being so wounderful.
They sure did paint a rosey picture. I believe that one of the ladds was
named TRI(?) with an illegal drivers licence. Didn't he ework for GOULD.
Didn't the show say that GOULD does alot of gov. work? Doesn't the gov.want to let all of the illegal's in with ammnesty? I do not understand any of this. If they are over crowding home's where is the health dept. Why has
the police not shut down that lady who makes forged document's.
Please explain this to me ??????

LOVE THE U.S.A.
I have been reading this same story all over the USA. I wish everyone would find the article on the net about OKLAHOMA. Since the federal gov. will not do anything about this growing problem, Oklahoma took matters into their own state laws. Look up House Bill 1804 signed by Governor Bill Henry. I wonder if enough of us tried could we do the same thing?? Is it worth a try?? Or do we want to surrender??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado