U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:50 AM

16 posts, read 65,680 times

Advertisements

What a fantastic forum!

Okay, I have paid my dues. I have read through the entire list of posts on this forum, looking for something Golden, but I have heard very little. I am curious to know if it might be home for me.

I am a single mom to an 8 year old boy. I'm looking for good schools, front yard safety, easy access to outdoor living and activities (hiking, tele and downhill skiing, biking), and a mature alternative vibe. I love established, older neighborhoods, hills and views. I don't like living on flat land.

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 11:45 AM

210 posts, read 1,266,654 times
Golden is a great town..... they don't like to think of themselves as part of the Denver-area, but for all intents and purposes they are. It definitely is not flat and would give you easy access to both downtown Denver and the mountains via I-70. Although there are newer homes especially to the north, you can also find some older homes in the area around the historical downtown. Not sure how the singles scene is, but there has been a good bit of growth recently as far as retail grows, around the Colorado Mills mall area (and there is a Whole Foods there).
Estes Park would not give you very easy access to Denver-- it's about 30 minutes to Loveland from there. Evergreen is closer to Denver and has easier access to the city but has more limited access to the type of shopping you are looking for. Although you may not like the surroundings, it is definitely possible to find your niche in Denver, as there is a wide array of neighborhoods that can provide a small-town feel (Congress Park, Cheeseman Park, etc), but you would get less house for your money in most of these areas.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:12 PM

51 posts, read 213,669 times
I went to Bell Middle school and Golden high school ...over ten years ago...and loved living in Golden. My Mom actually lives in what is called Applewood- the corner of Golden, Arvada, and Wheatridge. I think- from how you describe yourself- that you would LOVE Golden ... it sounds like just your taste and close to Denver- slightly remote but nothing like the other cities you talked about it. I am with you on the Boulder thing- no thanks! I think Golden would fit you well! Good luck!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 PM

11,073 posts, read 29,907,170 times
Applewood, Golden, western Arvada near route 93 & 64th Ave

Old 12-28-2006, 12:45 PM

Thank you! I look forward to hearing more. Is Golden the answer for the mature Boulderite-types? The ex-Deadheads who now have families, appreciate five star hotels AND a good sleeping bag, shop at Nordstroms but still engage in pagan worship ritual? If so, it could be for me.

This was brought to my attention as I've looked on realtor.com for houses: It seems that "Golden" somehow overlaps Evergreen and Nederland. I'm not interested in a ranch house that has a terrible commute to Denver. I'd like to be closer to, if not in the downtown area. Is there an area with more historic homes?

mtnsky

Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Aieee! Please don't let this thread die! Does anyone else have anything to say about Golden? Thank you!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:27 PM

210 posts, read 1,266,654 times
I don't know if I'd call Golden a more mature Boulder-- the two have very different feels about them and I have a hard time comparing them on a similar scale. I don't know if it's really the ex-Deadhead type that lives in Golden, but that being said it does have a different type of population than the rest of Denver-- somewhat along the lines of what you said (okay, maybe not the pagan ritual thing). It definitely tends to have a nature-bent to it, but as noted earlier does have good access to shops, activities, etc, and does tend to be where that type of person raises a family.

It does have a historical downtown area (and is home to the original capitol building for Colorado-- now a restaurant/bar) and there are some historical homes scattered around there. But not as many as you would find in or around the historic center of Denver. A lot of the area around historic Golden is postwar, 1950s-era homes, and there are newer developments on the edges of town. But if you want a historical home in that area, they do exist, they're just a tad harder to find, and I would suggest looking in the area immediately around downtown Golden.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 PM

28 posts, read 179,027 times
Golden is wonderful & it's easy to get into Denver. Housing is very expensive but it has paths to run or ride along the river. Good shopping too.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Applewood, Golden, western Arvada near route 93 & 64th Ave
I am having a hard time researching Golden without the zipcodes. "Golden" brings up everything it seems, including Evergreen and Nederland. Do you all have a recommendation for narrowing the search? Someone mentioned that it is expensive in Golden, but I've found homes that seem very reasonable, causing me to be suspicious about their location. I appreciate your help!

I'm planning a trip out there in March or April. I'd like to find a great realtor as soon as possible. I mean "great." I have had some terrible luck with realtors, and I don't want to repeat some experiences I've had.

My house is for sale in Prescott, Arizona while I am living in Virginia at my mom's house with my son. We have only been here a few months, having moving back into the US from overseas. I thought I wanted to be near family, but I don't like VA and my family is fine without me. I have always loved CO ad I have a go-for-it attitude -- so I expect it will sort itself out.

I am so excited!

Any help with zips would be great!

mtnsky

Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 AM

Oh -- hey, the pagan worship stuff and veal broth stuff was only a slight exaggeration. I don't mean to scare people away from replying to me. I have a sense of humor that does not convey well on-line sometimes.

I am a pagan. But I don't slaughter baby cows. Someone else slaughters them and I buy their broth at the store...

mtnsky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado