U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-25-2007, 02:24 PM

48 posts, read 90,417 times
Colorado Native:

Goodness... where do I start???

I have to smile; you seem to think I am "wealthy". And, you are right, perhaps no one did want to work for me, which is just fine; I have done most of the work myself. It took awhile, and I probably did not do as good of job as a local professional, but.... the job is done, and it saved me some money! Regardless of financial means, most people do hire "help" once in awhile, be it a plumber, a contractor, etc. I certainly have to recognize there are many things other people can do better than I. And like most people, I expect someone to show up and do the job I am paying him for, and I do appreciate when a phone call gets returned.

Of course I want affordable housing to come into the area!! (And, it shocks me what has been considered "affordable".) The only concern I have (and I stated this) is there are not the roads, shopping, etc. to accomodate such DENSITY, regardless if it is affordable or not. I know eventually, infustructure will come. But affordability of the housing is NOT the issue.

And in regard to "the drug problem" I mentioned, I did not just come up with this on my own. I was told by local people HERE the reason there was difficulty in getting some people to complete their jobs was the drug problem. And by no means is this only happening in Durango. Unfortunately, it is happening everywhere.

You don't want "alternate attitudes" to come into the area?? I don't know what to say about that comment. Talk about close-minded. All I can say is regardless if you live in Colorado, Texas, California, Idaho or New York, you are going to encounter "alternate attitudes" from different kinds of people. This country is getting more and more citizens every hour. We all have to deal with attitudes different from our own, no matter where we live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-01-2007, 07:09 AM

500 posts, read 652,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmyopinion View Post

You don't want "alternate attitudes" to come into the area?? I don't know what to say about that comment. Talk about close-minded. All I can say is regardless if you live in Colorado, Texas, California, Idaho or New York, you are going to encounter "alternate attitudes" from different kinds of people. This country is getting more and more citizens every hour. We all have to deal with attitudes different from our own, no matter where we live.

Yeah... I explained that it was a specific attitude that bothers me...

"those that bring a selfish sense of entitlement... the leisure class, if you will. They seem to want things that Durango does not provide, and so they change the place to suit themselves, rather than changing to fit the place. "

Unread 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,560 times
Wow! How wonderful of you to spend so much time explaining Durango! I have been there just once and loved it. Im from the East coast and would relocate in a minute!
thank you

Unread 10-04-2007, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Actually Crackerjack, it is not only a few locals that have a bias against Californians and Texans; it's all of us. Seriously. And it's mostly the Texans, to be honest.

Austin Traveler, I feel like you should get an honest answer, rather than the apparent Realtor-Generated answer from Crackerjack. You said, "It seems that the population of Durango is too small to be supporting so many $500K+ new home sales." It is. The people buying these homes are not from Durango. They're from Texas, and they drive Hummers and they treat waiters and waitresses and counter-help like total scum. They wear way too much perfume and way too much turquoise. They walk into bookstores and ask, "Do y'all got paperbacks?" They drive up the real estate market so that the people that actually call Durango home, rather than second-home or vacation-home, either have to rent or move out of town in order to stay in the area. They are ruining the laid back lifestyle. They wear furs and buy brand new cowboy hats when they visit. They clog the passes with their Motor homes.

These are the reasons we many many local Coloradans do not like Texans or Californians.

Sorry it's true. Oh, and if you're Republican, Durango's probably not hte place for you.
IAGREE FULLY!

Unread 10-04-2007, 09:36 PM

7,659 posts, read 13,884,995 times
It was a Durango native that said to me years ago that the prettiest sight in the world was a Texan leaving Colorado with a Californian under each arm.

Believe it or not, I know great folks from both of those states, but I have to say that so many of the Texans and Californians who relocate to Colorado have a great big condescending attitude towards native and long-time Colorado residents, that the locals do get really sick of it. I know I do. By the way, I've heard the same attitude expressed towards those two states all the way from New Mexico to Montana. It's not just in Colorado. Go to those state forums and read what I mean . . .

Unread 10-06-2007, 07:31 AM

2,640 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Whats with the California and Texas Bias ?
Texans frown upon the Californians or anyone north of the Red River to "crash" their state. If that were the case way back when Texas became a Republic, there wouldn't have been any war won as most all the people who made it what it was back then were not Texans anyway. Even many Yankess (heaven forbid) were part of Texas' independence and men from Great Britain as well. Also, in present day, it's the fault of the Californians that house prices are on the rise. Pleeeezzz!! Why a Californian wants to move to Texas is beyond me when there are so many other states in the union. Yes, I'm a Californian that did, but I was young and dumb and thought I needed to be closer to family. Even my young California friends way back then were incredulous that I was moving to Texas. Oh well, here I am, but I'm still looking for a "better" place for my golden years. That's what has brought me to the CO forum.

Unread 10-07-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Yeah... I explained that it was a specific attitude that bothers me...

"those that bring a selfish sense of entitlement... the leisure class, if you will. They seem to want things that Durango does not provide, and so they change the place to suit themselves, rather than changing to fit the place. "
Couldn't agree with you more. But again, you can't escape it. That is why California has changed so much since I grew up there! All of the people moving in from EVERYWHERE, changed it.

Some people do seem to want to change Durango as well. I have seen it, and I have only been here 10 years. But I have spoken to many who are newly moved here, and they seem to appreciate the way Durango is (or was) more than some of the long-standing locals, or at least more than the local government that is pushing growth. Maybe because of where they come from, they can see how truly special it is here, and how much Durango has to loose if the growth is not curtailed, or done slowly with a good plan?? Just a thought and observation.

Unread 10-20-2007, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 16,412 times
Crackerjack...What Colorado Native says is true...every word. I live in Durango, and it is a beautiful, bustling little town, with great energy and lovely homes. But, the really expensive homes are usually not owned by locals, and the resorts and developers are not local, either. Usually from California or Texas, trying to change our ways and make us live their hectic, fast-paced, overpriced lifestyles. Locals are treated like lower-class citizens, and are often underpaid to cater to these snobs from the cities. Average home prices outside of town are about $350-400K, and that is just for an AVERAGE home, AT BEST. You can't buy a lot with a singlewide trailer for less than $200K these days...absolutely ridiculous. I know many, many, many people who work 2 or more jobs, just to pay bills. But they are here, because they can't imagine being anyplace else. It is our home...just feels like it is being taken over.

Unread 11-29-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxer View Post
Crackerjack... But, the really expensive homes are usually not owned by locals, and the resorts and developers are not local, either. Usually from California or Texas, trying to change our ways and make us live their hectic, fast-paced, overpriced lifestyles. Locals are treated like lower-class citizens, and are often underpaid to cater to these snobs from the cities. Average home prices outside of town are about $350-400K, and that is just for an AVERAGE home, AT BEST. You can't buy a lot with a singlewide trailer for less than $200K these days...absolutely ridiculous. I know many, many, many people who work 2 or more jobs, just to pay bills. But they are here, because they can't imagine being anyplace else. It is our home...just feels like it is being taken over.
I take for granted, a local is someone who was BORN here, correct?

I know you are accurate in saying that many people in Durango work 2 jobs or more, just to pay bills. But that is a fact of life everywhere. I worked for 30 years, a minimum of 12 hours per day (many 16 and 18 hour days), and mostly 6-day weeks to pay my bills, because I lived in California. I moved to Durango 10 years ago, and as expensive as it is here, it is even worse in CA. I loved living in CA, but I also love living here.

I do not blame you for disliking all the Californians and Texans moving to Durango..... I know how you feel. The last job that I had in California, I was the only "local" in my office; there were 3 people from New York, 1 person from Tennessee, 3 people from Colorado, 1 person from New Jersey, 1 person from Texas, and I hated the fact that all of them had moved TO California, ruining "my state". I guess every "local" feels like they have special entitlement!!! (myself included!!)

Unread 08-11-2008, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,795 times
LFults -
Did you move to Durango? I don't know if anyone reads this post anymore. My boyfriend and I are considering a move to durango late spring next year. I have lots of questions. Please respond if anyone still reads this?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado