U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,791 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyon could help answer some questions. I just graduated from college and have a job offer in Golden and another one in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I grew up and went to school in this area. The Black Hills are a lot like the Front of College....Heavily forested Ponderosa Pine Hills ( not as big as Rock MTS but still Steep) with elevation over a mile high. The Black Hills are not very populated so there is hardley any traffic and hundreds of trails for hiking and biking. this area allowed me to ski, mountain bike, camp, and do various watersports with the many lakes around. I was wondering what Denver was like for these activities? Or is it so over-populated it is hard to enjoy these activities? I am currently single and looking to meet new people. So what is it like to meet new people down there? Are they friendly? Are there any clubs that I could join to meet the type of people that enjoy the activities I do? Or some other place to meet them? Basically any information to help in my decision where to go. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 04:26 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Man....you want outdoor sports, Colorado is the KING of such activities. I'm sure there are clubs all over place here, and a large population of people who enjoy such things. You'd have a ball here, mostly anywhere, but Golden is a great place and Denver is a great spot for younger folks.

For Denver info, go to Denver forum and use the Search this Forum tool with such words as nightlife, night, young, or any other keyword of interest to you.

If you're a loner, the Black Hills may be better for you, but if you like people and being active, I can't believe there's any better place CO. Lots to do in all four seasons.

s/Mike

Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Denver might be good if you are interested in a change, but...if you are serious about experiencing the outdoors w/o a crowd, I'd be looking on the west slope of Colo. Front Range is a zoo, be prepared for traffic, and emission rules...and neighbors. There are plenty of places on west side that are more immersed in the Colo 'good stuff'. Id start w/ Glenwood Springs, Durango, Steamboat (all a bit expensive, but plenty of 'clubs' + recreation.) then consider Salida, Buena Vista, Grand Junction. Golden is ok, but... you will need to travel for solitude (Denver suburb) advantage is that you are closer to the recreation, so If you get off at noon, you might beat some. You can get to Boulder in a jiffy, and experience plenty of 'youthful' clubs. disadvantage, (besides congestionand smog) you still have to drive halfway to Kansas to get to the 'airport'...just depends on your desires (I can't handle stop lights and 'parking lot' highways, so I need to be in an area like Kansas, but that is just me...both CO and SD have their good pts., If you are making 'big bucks' post college (petroleum / geology eng) then WY is the destination of choice (no income tax, low property tax, lower prop costs)

Old 12-29-2006, 11:17 AM

955 posts, read 3,317,912 times
Hi there... Well we lived in Denver for 5 years and relocated to Rapid City SD and LOVE IT! we enjoyed Denver but honestly it was the best move we ever made!

The air is clean, no traffic, beautiful mountains and skiing, winter sports plus hinking mt biking and beautiful CLEAN lakes for swimming fishing boating and lots of hunting Also no state income tax.

We loved Denver when it was the two of us (hubby and I) but when it came down to a family we knew we needed to move.. we wanted better education and less crime and traffic... it was the perfect move for us.

The weather is identical for the most part (except for today its warm and nice no snow like in Denver).

Housing is about the same price (alittle lower maybe) but our car insurance is half the price, child care is half the price, and people are much more friendly!

you can message me if you want more info since we have lived in both locations

By the way.. the comment above about if you are "loner" the black hills is the place for you.. NOT SO.. its very friendly here and most everyone enjoys the mountains and active outdoors here... its not as LONER FRIENDLY as you might think. We just enjoy it with cleaner air and less traffic

The hills also has a lot of young professionals... Spearfish is a college town and the school of Mines is here in Rapid with lots of up and comming young people and a good social atmosphere.

You should also post in the in SD section to get feedback from others in the area like you are doing here. Good luck to you in your move!

Last edited by BusySocialWorker; 12-29-2006 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or