U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 36,270 times

Advertisements

Hi all;

I only now stumbled on this web site for the first time! Awesome site!

I am flying out to Denver in February and then driving up to Estes Park to look for an apartment and do some job hunting. I have worked in the food service business for 20 years, anything from serving to bartending to management. I really like Estes Park with the proximity of RMNP and all the wildlife, and with all the tourists passing through...all those people have to eat somewhere. I know Estes Park has some very nice little restaurants and I had always heard if you can combine your career with your intersts in life...you got it made. So that is what I am aiming to do. Plus, Colorado is a photographer's dream!

I fell in love with Colorado at the tender age of 18 (many moons ago) and have visited the state on four different occasions and I always get depressed when it is time to fly back home, to Pennsylvania. This time, hopefully...I will be coming back only to collect my things.

My question is to anyone who is familar with Estes Park's dining prospects and hiring opportunities. I would imagine the winter season there tends to be slower. Anyone know of anybody who makes a good living in that town surving on tips, alone?

I don't need much to make me happy. Just a beautiful view of the mountains while I enjoy my morning coffee and to spend my days off, hiking in RMNP with my camera always in hand.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 09:31 PM

649 posts, read 2,691,756 times
Hey there- Estes Park is beautiful. You know there is a YMCA up there that families go to year around. Ours being one of them. They have cabins up there and little hotel kinda things. They have a restaurant and many other things on that land. Our family usually goes up there once a year, so hopefully I will see you up there some time!! bashep

Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Cool. You're gonna love Colorado. And you're going to do well here. Estes Park is popular all year around. Other pix of CO are in my account, under Cripple Creek area, etc. My Estes Park pix are at: http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...O%202003-0525/

Elk in Rocky Mountain National Forest, near Estes Park, CO. The Elk were hanging out down in the lower country, not at the higher elevations. In the Fall of the year it is popular come out and watch the Elk. People also watch for Moose and Bear in the western parks, like RMNF and Yellowstone.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-29-2006 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Add another photo

Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM

Thank you for your wonderful encouraging words! I was under the impression that Estes Park's tourist's attraction gets kind of bleak over winter. What you both said has given me even higher hopes!

I am thrilled and greatly looking forward to my trip! It has been two years since I have been out there and I find myself longing to see the mountains again and to smell that wonderful crisp, clean dry air! The air which is heavily-laden with the fresh scent of pine. I can't wait!

There is also something about the mind frame of the people who live out there. When I try to explain it to the people here who never ventured out of this state...they just don't get it.

And the gorgeous scenery! I don't have to explain that to you guys! You already know.

Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2006, 02:43 PM

Thanks Mike, for posting the link to your awesome pictures!

Here are some of mine.

http://public.fotki.com/stormbird/estes-park-colorado/

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetjelu/index.html (broken link)

Old 12-30-2006, 11:42 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbird View Post
Thanks Mike, for posting the link to your awesome pictures! Here are some of mine.
http://public.fotki.com/stormbird/estes-park-colorado/ and http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetjelu/index.html (broken link)
Wow! You GOT the moose pic most of us only crave getting...and it looks like you got pix of the same squirrel we did... that little critter got our peanuts that day up on top the mountain where we rode up on the tramway.

Those are very nice pix.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:48 PM

Thanks Mike! I just got lucky with the moose shot. The squirrel was a fluke, too. I was perched on a boulder aiming for a great shot of Bear Lake, when the little guy cautiously came over to me to check me out. I couldn't resist!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:25 AM

220 posts, read 711,928 times
We took a ride up to Estes three days after moving into our new house here and even with the snow, there were people everywhere. There are a good number of restaurants, cafe's and coffee houses and as you said- tourists have to eat and drink somewhere.

This fella walked right across the street in the fall while leaving our motel room.

Estes is a beautiful place to live, especially if you enjoy the mountains and wildlife. Go for it!

Last edited by elemental; 01-01-2007 at 01:35 AM..

Old 01-01-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanks guys!

It is a huge step and a scary decision, to pull up stakes and move half-way across country, especially when you are doing it alone. But, I have traveled solo through Mexico, Central America and Canada, and found that I love it and actually prefer it. So, I am going with that gut feeling and hoping I fare the same out in Colorado.

Thanks for all the moral support and pictures. If anyone has any more advice or any Colorado pictures you would like to share, I would be thrilled to hear from you.

Wishing you all a wonderful New Year!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 PM

170 posts, read 708,041 times
Hi Stormbird,

Congrats on your decision to move to CO. I totally understand why you are moving there. I am moving there (Co Springs area) in February for all of the same reasons. I am hoping that in the next few years I can convince my mom and sister to join me. I'm also making the move by myself but I have a feeling I will have plenty of visitors...my family and friends are already planning vacations to come see me and I haven't even moved yet!

Great photos from everyone! I also got a photo of that same squirrel when I visited Estes Park this past September. He wasn't shy at all and let me take plenty of pictures of him!

yes...I agree this site has a lot a great info and I have learned so much!
Best of luck to you Stormbird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or