U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times

Advertisements

I never minded the snow so much during winter time.
When it would get to me was in the fall and the spring, especially April or May, when trees and flowers were trying to bloom, people are trying to garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 15,743 times
hello ca mom... is l.a. the only place you've lived? i lived just outside l.a. for awhile. newbury park to be exact. i've lived in several states but now reside in colorado. i was not that impressed with the l.a. area. we had roaches and even possums in our palm trees out front. traffic was ALWAYS bad and i was ALWAYS scared when i had to leave the house. i also got sick of having to wipe the black "stuff" off my windshield every morning. the neighbors were just a tad beyond nosy. but then, i'm a private person.
seattle area, mukilteo before it became a gambling town was foggy enough to be mistaken for england many many days. sometimes the sun would come up just as i'd be trying to get my boys to go to bed. yes, it's a beautiful area but so is the floral dept. of grocery stores. i was there in their wretched storm of 88. i was 8 days housebound as i lived in a wooded subdivision at the bottom of a hill. pregnant, a two yr. old and a 9 yr. old.. we just played the days away and enjoyed our fireplace a lot. i learned that i COULD stomach powdered milk as i've always been one to keep "back up" supplies since my alicia "encouter". lol.
i lived in tx. during hurricane alicia...was almost 3 wks of no water/power...i won't go into details on that one. i'm sure you can imagine. what's worse is that it doesn't take a hurricane down there to have horrific floods. i've had to abandon my flooded vehicle and make my way through thigh high waters down there before.
as for fla., wellllllll i've ridden gators here before but just don't want to live with them. the **** roaches and fire ants are also an undesirable issue for ME and i hate hurricanes.
as for the eastern states, they may get less on the ground in the form of snow but if you're ever caught in a heavy downpour of rain and hail, this snow looks easy. i also dislike the fleas, ticks, and those dang copperhead snakes out there...ggrrrrrr. however, if i did ever have to leave colorado, i'd probably return to ky.
yes, these storms were serious. yes, some were housebound for awhile. yes, some shortages of food supplies have been experienced. i'd much rather be putting on my shades and tieing sleds to the back of the 4wheeler and away we go than having a tornadoe change your life in 15 minutes or having 2 ft of snow in an area NOT known for lots of sunshine or having to leave my flooded vehicle on the road or dealing with 108 degrees summer temps with 100 percent humitidy going on.
whether you move to colorado or not, there are more factors than just snow to consider. altitude, winds, humidity, crime, etc. to name a few.
parker is now just basicly the beginning of denver but elizabeth is MUCH smaller but commutable to big city conveniences. denver traffic can get just as bad as l.a. believe it or not. lol. i do miss it though. i lived in westminster during the "big blizzard" of 1990. it was very exciting. i had to walk about a mile in it to get my boys from school as they couldn't run the buses. you just have to do what you have to do when you're faced with traumatic weather... :-) oh, i'll say this also. i've been known to hit the slopes COATLESS in 28 to 32 degree temps. here yet had to bundle up like an eskimo in memphis when it was 40 degrees due to the humidity.
weather patterns are changing everywhere. even in alaska...lol. my fav. place on earth. sooooo, what you may read here or anywhere this yr. could be totally different next yr.
i hope i've helped a little as an x cali. mom myself. :-)

Old 12-31-2006, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 46,724 times
Hi There, Where are you considering in NC? I have relatives in New Bern who they retired there about 10 years ago...they love it.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
Default Perfect weather

Colorado has, what I like to call, the perfect four seasons weather. In other words, we get the snow and the cold and also the nice warm summers. But the winters here are nothing like Minnesota. However, we get more snow than Minnesota. The big difference between a Minnesota style winter and a Front Range Colorado winter is that the chinook winds of the front range always melt the snow and warm things up, even in January. It's rare to get a snowfall and have it sit in the front yard for more than a couple of weeks. Not to say that it doesnt happen, but most winters it is unusual to have snow on the ground for more than two weeks in a row.
Here is typical month in Denver in the winter time: Week 1: 10 inches of snow...temps in the 20's during the day time and single digits at night. Week 2: Temps in the 40's, night-time temps in the teens. Week 3: Mild. Temps in the 50's, almost spring like. Night time temps in the 20's. Week 4: Turns colder with light snow....2 to 4 inches. Daytime temps in the 20s and 30s. Night time in the single digits. This is a typical month in the winter time in the Denver area. This weather scenario is like a broken record player from late October to late April, winter after winter, year after year.

Blizzards are rare. Maybe one blizzard every other year. But we do get alot of heavy snowfalls. I have kept track of snowfalls for the last five years and every year we have 3 or 4 snowfalls in the 10 inch plus category. However, I do live on the west side. The west and south sides of Denver metro get 70 to 90 inches of snow a year. Contrast this to the 50 to 60 inches of snow in downtown or areas east or north of downtown. People who live along the 470 loop on the west and south sides of Denver routinely get 50% more snow than downtown Denver. When the forecast says 4 to 8 inches of snow expected I know that this means 6 to 12 on the west and south sides of Denver metro.

The summers are also part of the beauty of the weather here in the front range. Temperatures rarely go over 100 degrees. This is because every afternoon storm clouds build up over the Continental Divide and drift to the east. By 3 in the afternoon the city of Denver is overcast with many lightning strikes around. This gives the Denver metro the unusual characteristics of having the hottest part of the day being around 2 in the afternoon rather than 4 in the afternoon everywhere else in the United States. The afternoon storms are usually a welcome site and a respite from the heat. The quick, brief downpours that accopmany the storms clean the atmosphere and leave the city clear of pollutants. By 10 in the evening the storm clouds dissipate and the moon and stars shine bright.

Last edited by Claymeister; 02-07-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-07-2010, 08:27 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymeister View Post
Colorado has, what I like to call, the perfect four seasons weather. In other words, we get the snow and the cold and also the nice warm summers. But the winters here are nothing like Minnesota. However, we get more snow than Minnesota. The big difference between a Minnesota style winter and a Front Range Colorado winter is that the chinook winds of the front range always melt the snow and warm things up, even in January. It's rare to get a snowfall and have it sit in the front yard for more than a couple of weeks. Not to say that it doesnt happen, but most winters it is unusual to have snow on the ground for more than two weeks in a row.
Blizzards are rare. Maybe one blizzard every other year. But we do get alot of heavy snowfalls. I have kept track of snowfalls for the last five years and every year we have 3 or 4 snowfalls in the 10 inch plus category. However, I do live on the west side. The west and south sides of Denver metro get 70 to 90 inches of snow a year. Contrast this to the 50 to 60 inches of snow in downtown or areas east or north of downtown. People who live along the 470 loop on the west and south sides of Denver routinely get 50% more snow than downtown Denver. When the forecast says 4 to 8 inches of snow expected I know that this means 6 to 12 on the west and south sides of Denver metro.

The summers are also part of the beauty of the weather here in the front range. Temperatures rarely go over 100 degrees. This is because every afternoon storm clouds build up over the Continental Divide and drift to the east. By 3 in the afternoon the city of Denver is overcast with many lightning strikes around. This gives the Denver metro the unusual characteristics of having the hottest part of the day being around 2 in the afternoon rather than 4 in the afternoon everywhere else in the United States. The afternoon storms are usually a welcome site and a respite from the heat. The quick, brief downpours that accopmany the storms clean the atmosphere and leave the city clear of pollutants. By 10 in the evening the storm clouds dissipate and the moon and stars shine bright.
That's a pretty good synopsis of our weather. However, for some reason, this January we did not get much in the way of the warming Chinook winds. The Boulder Daily Camera did a monthly review of the weather and the month high for Jan. was only 61. It's often much higher, sometimes into the 70s.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,371,254 times
Western Co has been horrible this winter. We`ve hardly seen the sun this winter and we`ve had a lot of fog(like everyday). It really sucks! I`m ready for the sunny skys to return to Co.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:25 PM

14,498 posts, read 22,347,982 times
Quit bragging, would ya. The Front Range and Eastern Colorado could have used some of your snow. Season ain't over yet though. We're getting a little bit now.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
I live in Grand Junction on the western slope. It's typically very sunny here year round, but this winter has been unusually ( this comparison is based on only 4 winters ) cloudy and gray. Additionally the entire winter, since early December, has been running about 10 degrees colder than the long term norm. Not much snow over here, but a little bit goes a long way. There is still snow on the ground, especially in the shady areas, from a 10 inch snowfall ( an unusually heavy snow for this area ) back on December 8th. This persistently cold and gray winter reminds me alot of a typical gray winter in Pennsylvania, but without the numerous heavy snowfalls and ice storms that occur so frequently there. Also, there is far less wind here than there is in a typical eastern winter.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-08-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or