Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If I decide to move . . .
STAY where I am. 10 52.63%
GO. If GO, where would you recommend I go. 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 07:33 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times

Advertisements

A challenge to the folks at C-D with whom I interact.

i'm thinking about where/whether/why, should/shall I move.

Without further immediate input from me, with what you already "know" about me, making all the assumptions about me you make, what would you say: should I stay or should I go. Literally, not metaphorically.

As a start though, I'll emphasize that I feel physically great in Colorado and in all locations in mountain west and southwest. (Escaping snow is not an added value.)

Where do you suggest I live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 11:33 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
I cannot, but you should think about:
1. Income taxes on your current and project income.
2. Property taxes on your current and any future abode.
3. Climate—what do you like? What do you hate?
4. Quality of government. Value and competence.
5. It is important to have like-minded neighbors?
6. City/suburbs/rural?
7. Is a nearby hospital necessary or unimportant?
8. Could you live in a different country? With a language other than English?

Answer these and you will eliminate many places. That makes it easier, in my opinion.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:00 PM

Thanks. Yes, I must consider issues such as you have suggested; I know there are many possibilities.

I can make the finances work in different environments. I'm in great health - hospital/medical care unimportant. If it becomes unexpectedly important in my life, I'll be flexible enough to move back to somewhere like Denver metro.

I've lived happily in cities, suburbs, rural, and resort towns throughout the mountain west/southwest at different times in my life. I love Colorado's climate most, but as long as I'm in higher altitude, accessible to spectacular outdoors the climate is good enough.

Waiting for covid vaccine and living through these days has made me start thinking about what I want to do next, with many posibilities to think about.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:59 PM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Aspen

Old 01-12-2021, 01:08 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Western Slope. Grand Junction or Durango areas.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:53 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Salida

Old 01-12-2021, 03:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Hi suzco. You might still remember me ( CosmicWizard ) from a few years back I haven't been active on city-data for the past few years.

In, Sept-'15 I bought a condo in Grand Junction where I lived for 2.5 yrs. After selling it for a nice profit, I rented for 14 months in Grand Junction while looking for another place to buy. Never found a place I liked, and got priced out of the market during my time of procrastination.

So, I moved to Ruidoso-NM in June '19 where I could still afford the cost of real estate to my liking. Although Ruidoso has much to offer, I never felt at home there, so I sold my condo this past October for a decent profit after just 14 months of ownership.

Now I'm back in PA, my state of birth ( maybe I'll get one of those plates ... PA Native! haha - not too likely.). With the nationwide runup in real estate prices, along with the massive decrease of inventory ( fewer properties and not as nice ), I'm starting to think that I might be permanently priced out of owning my own place ever again --- unless a correction occurs soon. I have become rather despondent.

Moral of the story ..... tread cautiously unless money is no object.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-12-2021 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 03:27 PM

Thanks to all of you who've responded so far. Interesting hearing suggestions - helping me think.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:45 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Suzco,

1. Maybe start by figuring out why you want to leave where you live now. Too much traffic? Too many people? Something else?

2. When my husband and I retired ten years ago, we sold the house in Centennial and moved most of our stuff to our house in Hawaii. However, we knew that we wanted to come spend our summers in Colorado because that's where our kids and grandkids live. So we spent several years driving around to small towns in the state and evaluating what felt right for us. We ended up buying in Buena Vista, which is a great small town with just enough shops and restaurants and great outdoor activities. It turns out it is a bit far from Denver (2-1/2 hours) and sometimes I wish we were closer. This is a bad time to be looking, however, because real estate prices are ridiculously high and getting higher.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Thanks to all of you who've responded so far. Interesting hearing suggestions - helping me think.
The power of soliciting ideas and options is that someone might mention something you have not previously thought of ... something that really resonates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado