U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 AM

66 posts, read 270,696 times

Advertisements

Southwest airlines has flights to Denver from Manchester, NH which if booked 1 week in advance are really cheap! (They bought like a 10 year supply of oil while it was cheap a few years ago and their fares are LOW). You should really see a place before you move to it, even as a poor new college grad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM

157 posts, read 588,441 times
Hi ILUVNM: Wow ... nice one ... you might know Dgo better than I do! You definately said it better than I could - Dgo has a lot going on! Lots of festivals, events, music, art, young guys and girls. Did you really go to the Billygoat?

Hey Boden: If you like just getting some local beers and mingling, you'd fit well here. Maybe some of those girls leaving Bar Harbor for school are coming here? Jobs - fewer openings than Den/Boulder/FC, but like ILUVNM said, now is a good time for Civil Engineers with the way Durango and the county are growing.

I understand your dilemna about Dgo VS. Denver area - I think there may be some "smaller" suburbs around Denver that might be pretty cool with access to the city - some friends in Dgo mentioned Golden like Mike said in his post. I know lots of people who like FC and think its kinda like Dgo only bigger. My brother in Boulder-area said some in Boulder refer to Dgo as little Boulder. I guess what I'm gettin' at is that I don't think you can go wrong - sure, there are differences, but there are a lot of similarities, too.

Travel ideas: SW airlines sounds good. The drive from Den area to Dgo is say 7 hours. I checked "rideshares" on Craigslist and found some - might just keep looking - not sure of your time frame. Also FLC has a "rideboard" run through the radio station on campus - www.KDUR.org. Used to be a hostel here, but it closed I think, I'll keep looking around, there must still be at least one. You might also check into ski vacation deals (Durango Mountain Resort) - you might find something inexpensive that includes travel and lodging.

Let us know if we can help more - good luck dgoboy

Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times
My Durango friend let me know "loud and clear" that I forgot to mention Scoot N Blues and Mutu's in Durango since they are her fav bars. Good music she says. So I mention those too. I didnt see them in the phone book under bars so anyhoo I add those.
Yes Dgoboy, I went to Billygoat and I had a big lump in my throat and got out real quick. I felt like it was a macho redneck type place. You better not have a chip on your shoulder and go in there, at least when I was there. Maybe just that night but I will stick to the girly type places.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:17 PM

28 posts, read 79,262 times
thank you very much for all this wonderful info. Are most people from around that area as friendly as you are? Another reason why I am not fond of big city life is the fact that people aren't nearly as friendly. Here in Maine, people are for the most part very friendly.

Where is the closest airport to Durango?

Is the weather in Farmington a lot like the weather in Durango? It's only an hour south, but I'm not sure if it's up there in altitude.

thanks in advance

Boden

Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM

210 posts, read 1,257,424 times
There is an airport in Durango, and one in Farmington, and both do have regular commercial service, but it's limited comparatively. If you want a bigger airport, you're closest ones would be in Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, and Denver.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodenTA View Post
thank you very much for all this wonderful info. Are most people from around that area as friendly as you are? Another reason why I am not fond of big city life is the fact that people aren't nearly as friendly. Here in Maine, people are for the most part very friendly.

Where is the closest airport to Durango?

Is the weather in Farmington a lot like the weather in Durango? It's only an hour south, but I'm not sure if it's up there in altitude.

thanks in advance

Boden
You got me blushing BodenTA! Thanks. Most people in the Four Corners region are open and friendly people. Yeah, I dont like that distant feeling you get from people in big cities. I lived in Albuquerque and it was a real scary place for a gal to live in. I have never been to Maine but I had an ex-boyfriend who lived there in the Bangor, Maine area and he would tell me about it and the danger moose or is it meese? pose on the roads and can cause fatal car crashes. Freaked me out real good! Those things are huge! He told me about the chilly cold feel there with lots of humidity and rain and snow. Sounded somewhat depressing to me. I do love the lighthouses you see on the coast in magazines from there though. If you like sunshine, you will love the Four Corners region! Farmington - it is a much more hotter place, deserty and very little snow. Farmington is a lot lower in elevation. Farmington looks like the typical desert you would think when you think of a desert. Down on the rivers it is green with trees but away from it is total desert. Durango has four distinct mild seasons and green. Durango actually changes right before your eyes. In the south it is desert looking and all of a sudden when you get to downtown Durango and go north it changes into forest and green trees. It doesnt seem to ever get too hot or too cold there. I should add the west going to Hesperus is mountainy and pretty too. East, it is less mountains and more hilly. What is great about that area, you can find what you like and still live there so if you like desert, live south, green pastures, live east, mountains live north or west. All in one city, pretty nice!

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 01-04-2007 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: Added something.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 PM

28 posts, read 79,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
You got me blushing BodenTA! Thanks. Most people in the Four Corners region are open and friendly people. Yeah, I dont like that distant feeling you get from people in big cities. I lived in Albuquerque and it was a real scary place for a gal to live in. I have never been to Maine but I had an ex-boyfriend who lived there in the Bangor, Maine area and he would tell me about it and the danger moose or is it meese? pose on the roads and can cause fatal car crashes. Freaked me out real good! Those things are huge! He told me about the chilly cold feel there with lots of humidity and rain and snow. Sounded somewhat depressing to me. I do love the lighthouses you see on the coast in magazines from there though. If you like sunshine, you will love the Four Corners region! Farmington - it is a much more hotter place, deserty and very little snow. Farmington is a lot lower in elevation. Farmington looks like the typical desert you would think when you think of a desert. Down on the rivers it is green with trees but away from it is total desert. Durango has four distinct mild seasons and green. Durango actually changes right before your eyes. In the south it is desert looking and all of a sudden when you get to downtown Durango and go north it changes into forest and green trees. It doesnt seem to ever get too hot or too cold there. I should add the west going to Hesperus is mountainy and pretty too. East, it is less mountains and more hilly. What is great about that area, you can find what you like and still live there so if you like desert, live south, green pastures, live east, mountains live north or west. All in one city, pretty nice!

I lived near the Bangor area for 4 years during college when I attended the University of Maine in Orono, which is 15 minutes away from Bangor, and I never saw one moose ever, during those 4 years. I've lived my entire life in Maine and I have seen a moose in person once, and that was when I went to Millinocket to go white water rafting. Millinocket is up north, more north than Bangor and in the middle of nowhere, if that gives you any idea. A moose basically looks like a tall cow with big antlers. A small one year old moose will weigh around 550 pounds or so. So they get pretty big and will total your car if you run into them. I've never heard of meese though, maybe i'll google them

Anyways, yeah I guess I'm not real big into the dry deserty areas. I think I'd like the northern area of Durango the most, where there are more trees and vegetation. Coming from an area where a National Park is right in my backyard, I'm spoiled with great views everyday. I'm kind of wondering why I even want to leave in the first place, then I remember that the job market in this area isn't very good for entry level positions and is very limited and the winters around here are boring with not much to do.

Are there many or any decent sized lakes and/or ponds around Durango? I need my fix of water somehow. Maybe I can just pretend I'm by the ocean and have someone spray salty water into my face every once in a while.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:02 PM

55 posts, read 265,508 times
Default ME to CO

Hi! I've been following your thread with great interest because my husband, son and I are getting ready to move to Boulder, CO after deciding against a move to New England. We live in Nashville, TN (but from FL) and when we decided to find a new town our first thought was NE because we LOVE Bar Harbor - having vacationed there about 8 straight years. But it's too far north and not close enough to a big city for my husband's business. When we visited southern NE to look around, it was beautiful but just didn't have that magical feeling of Bar Harbor, where sea and mountain meet. I ALWAYS thought I'd have a home in Bar Harbor, even wrote a novel that takes place there, but I'm off to CO instead. Still BH was my template when looking.

All that said...CO has its own mystique, and I am confident it will be a great alternative (even without the ocean). Just FYI - Boulder is a great town (IMO)...it has a small town feel to it even though it's 100,000 people. It's very dense and compact in my experience...from town it takes less than 10 minutes to be in the mountains. Downtown is a pedestrian only area with wonderful shops and restaurants - the closest feel I've found to Bar Harbor (though a much more diverse and funky population). It might be worth a visit. Of course, Boulder is known for its liberal politics and its plethera of health conscious, spiritually-oriented people, so if that isn't your thing, it might bother you.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you my two cents. I wish you luck.

Take care.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodenTA View Post
I lived near the Bangor area for 4 years during college when I attended the University of Maine in Orono, which is 15 minutes away from Bangor, and I never saw one moose ever, during those 4 years. I've lived my entire life in Maine and I have seen a moose in person once, and that was when I went to Millinocket to go white water rafting. Millinocket is up north, more north than Bangor and in the middle of nowhere, if that gives you any idea. A moose basically looks like a tall cow with big antlers. A small one year old moose will weigh around 550 pounds or so. So they get pretty big and will total your car if you run into them. I've never heard of meese though, maybe i'll google them

Anyways, yeah I guess I'm not real big into the dry deserty areas. I think I'd like the northern area of Durango the most, where there are more trees and vegetation. Coming from an area where a National Park is right in my backyard, I'm spoiled with great views everyday. I'm kind of wondering why I even want to leave in the first place, then I remember that the job market in this area isn't very good for entry level positions and is very limited and the winters around here are boring with not much to do.

Are there many or any decent sized lakes and/or ponds around Durango? I need my fix of water somehow. Maybe I can just pretend I'm by the ocean and have someone spray salty water into my face every once in a while.

Glad to know about the moose in Maine. It looks really pretty there at least the pics I have seen of it. There are quite a lot of people from Maine living in the Durango area. My friend said she know several families from there, so you wont be alone. Yeah, north of Durango sound like what you would like or Pagosa Springs. I drove over to Pagosa Springs and it is really nice with lots of pine trees. It seems like a cheaper place to live too. So check that town out. It isnt big though. I didnt see any "box" stores like Walmart or anything. It has basic small stores kind of like up in Connecticut, you know those little mom and pop stores, like that. You have Durango though to go for shopping, an hour away or so. Of the places I have seen that I think you are looking for, they are north of Durango, or around Mancos, or around Pagosa Springs. Mancos is a tiny town, west of Durango. There is a very pretty little town up in the mountains called Hesperus, to the west. It is really pretty but I think would get more snow being higher up. Lots of trees and mountainy. My friend said Louis Lamour, that cowboy book writer, lived there. So check those places out. You can see all of them in a day or two. All pretty close together. Yeah, you wouldnt like Farmington, really a desert. I am not too fond of deserts either but Farmington has everything you could ever want shopping wise.
Oh, about the water. Lot of water around Durango and Pagosa Springs and Mancos. There are many lakes and rivers and creeks all over the place. So water is always around there. Great fishing. I am not a fisherman but I see people out fly fishing the rivers and creeks and bass fishing on the lakes. Navajo is a huge lake between New Mexico and Colorado not far from Durango. It is the "boater and ski jets" kind of lake. Yeah, lots of lakes.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM

10 posts, read 32,987 times
I am in the same place you are... trying to decide between something outside of Denver or go for the bigger city. Its a tough one! I heard oodles of good things about Fort Collins. I am from WI, about to make the move after graduating in May! I was doing research today and found this, its amazing and has been very helpful!
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or