Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:09 PM

300 posts, read 1,254,643 times

Advertisements

Hello All-

I have been researching TONS of new homes in denver metro. Some of the builders are national home builders that I have heard of (Shea, KB, Beazer, etc.) and other builders I have never heard of (for example: Joyce Homes, Remington Homes, etc.).

Whats the word on the street regarding various home builder reputations (national and especially local/regional)? I am interested in quality of construction/materials, how they have honored their warranties and contracts, how fast you've had to wait for service, and anything else that you have heard about or experienced from various builders.

We are interested in relocating to new construction. Every builder's website has a glossy image spun to evoke trust and quality. Im interested in real people's experiences and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM

719 posts, read 2,610,361 times
As one who grew up in rural Boulder County, and has witnessed first hand the home building orgy/land rape of the last two decades, I feel qualified to respond to your question. Most of the homebuilders, regardless of price ranges, utilize chipboard, sheetrock, vinyl and glue in their construction. Because they ALL knowingly overbuilt the supply chain, they have posted negative sales numbers for over a year now. You will encounter lots of incentives and fire sales with nearly any of those builders.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:16 PM

87 posts, read 328,925 times
Moderator cut: advertisement

Last edited by Kristynwy; 05-15-2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Advertising and soliciting business is not allowed on City Data

Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 24,846 times
Moderator cut: advertising from 9One5

I have questions:

How's business, and does your company employ illegal immigrant labor, like so many others do for the sake of the bottom line?

When I build my next house, I'm going to demand English-speaking citizens and won't allow illegals on my jobsite. I don't know of many respectable builders who can guarantee that, so I'm all ears to put together a short list of those who can. I realize this won't be possible for the cheapo, mass-produced McHouses, but for custom design & build I think I will have options.

In my eyes, most of the volume homebuilders are greedy profiteers in it for the bottom line, and now that things are slipping, they're desperate to move inventory, so now is the perfect time to work them over for a great deal, possibly naming some of your own warranty terms etc. Stick it back to them, as they've been sticking it to people for so long.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 05-15-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: no advertising please

Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM

You could hear a pin drop in here...

Old 05-13-2008, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 24,846 times
Fair enough answer, but the real question is:

do you make money at the expense of others by exploiting them for cheap labor costs, as so many homebuilders do?

I don't see how people feel good about buying mass-produced homes, because they are feeding the illegal immigration machine...

Not to make this thread about illegal immigration, but it's the ugly underbelly that our 'way of life' is riding on here in the U S of A...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,390,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
As one who grew up in rural Boulder County, and has witnessed first hand the home building orgy/land rape of the last two decades, I feel qualified to respond to your question. Most of the homebuilders, regardless of price ranges, utilize chipboard, sheetrock, vinyl and glue in their construction. Because they ALL knowingly overbuilt the supply chain, they have posted negative sales numbers for over a year now. You will encounter lots of incentives and fire sales with nearly any of those builders.
you will not find this type of home built in boulder anymore, neither county or city. Take a look at the Green points program coupled with the new HERS rating system, it can make even a simple 50sqft. addition next to imposable unless you are a millionaire

Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,390,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkstore View Post
I have questions:

How's business, and does your company employ illegal immigrant labor, like so many others do for the sake of the bottom line?

When I build my next house, I'm going to demand English-speaking citizens and won't allow illegals on my jobsite. I don't know of many respectable builders who can guarantee that, so I'm all ears to put together a short list of those who can. I realize this won't be possible for the cheapo, mass-produced McHouses, but for custom design & build I think I will have options.

In my eyes, most of the volume homebuilders are greedy profiteers in it for the bottom line, and now that things are slipping, they're desperate to move inventory, so now is the perfect time to work them over for a great deal, possibly naming some of your own warranty terms etc. Stick it back to them, as they've been sticking it to people for so long.
Moderator cut: no advertising please If you are looking for dime a dozen spec homes, there are several very good builders in Colorado that do these, but you do get what you pay for.

Boulder county and Boulder city right now just introduced several new programs for energy certification, and well simply put to attempt to stop any growth within the limits. I would avoid buying a house in the county or city unless you 1. dont plan on doing any additions / remodels, and 2. will live in it for a very long time.

The new plans (HERS rating system) is in itself a good idea, though the county has gone all out on it, and made it EXTREMELY restrictive, if the house you are looking at is near the 4000 sqft. threshold, building any , and I mean ANY new item with the house will make it cost a BUTT load more, IE adding ore remodeling (anything that requires permit) that would push you over the threshold you are looking at bringing ANY house up to a HERS rating of 10, which is NEAR energy perfect. So, if you buy a 4500sqft house built 100 years ago, you would be better off ripping the house out, and starting from scratch if you plan on doing anything that would require a permit, this does include redoing any gyp. board inside the house as well.

Moderator cut: advertising

Due to the house having to be brought up to 2008 energy standards.

to get these ratings, it consists of many many "green" things, including solar arrays, geothermal heat, reused materials, locally created materials and much much more to get the rating needed.

if you thought home prices in the boulder area were high to begin with, just wait a year lol.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 05-15-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: No advertising please

Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Can you answer Jerkstore's illegal labor question?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:39 PM

26 posts, read 47,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Can you answer Jerkstore's illegal labor question?
It seems that they do hire illegal immigrants-- since the question has been answered as "reputable and qualified subcontractors" I cannot stand these people who hire the illegals-- they are the ones that should be fined and thrown into prison because it is one of the many issues facing the labor market in the U.S today!!!

Jerkstore it is nice to hear you stating that if the illegals or one that doesnt speak english-- will be thrown off of your job. Now only if the rest of the folks that spent a ton of coin on their home would realize how much they fed MEXICO!!!

Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado