U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Cin

72 posts, read 278,151 times

Advertisements

Thanks Nadine....this too shall pass. Just read a nice article and it all comes down to trying to embrace change....I will get there. Things aren't supposed to come easy....for me anyways...always have to grow/learn a lesson...use it to help someone else. It's all used in the end for good. By the way who do I believe about the weather here? ran into a young guy today and I asked him and he said he has lived in these parts his whole life and that this current weather is really what he remembers as normal. His view is that everyone lucked out and had 3 yrs off is all. Cin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 04:16 PM

431 posts, read 2,559,979 times
CIN, I too am a native. It's true having snow is the norm but what is happening to the ranchers on the plains is not. We get snow but not hanging in for so long at least not here on the front range. I am south of Colorado Springs and West of Pueblo. Our weather here is much more mild than up North. We are actually a little higher in altitude than Denver at mile high. It is really amazing the different weather is just a few miles.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:22 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
You people can keep saying the word "mild" all you want to about the winter weather here in the Denver metro area, but we HAVE video and photos that can definitely tell people who want to move here, to the Denver metro area, that the winters here aren't "that" mild! Any of you that wants a winter, but have it "mild", Charlotte, North Carolina gets a "mild" winter. They do have a winter there, but their winter is definitely a "MILD" one!!!!!!!!!!
I have also heard from a few people, who have lived here there entire life, "this kind of weather is really the norm, we've had it very nice for the last few years". So, who are people to believe.......the people saying that this is NOT the norm or the people who say this IS the norm????????
Some people from So Calif. that move here end up leaving. If these people were told the TRUTH about the weather in the Denver metro area in the first place, would they have even moved here???????

Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 PM
VOZ

6 posts, read 11,761 times
Look, I've lived all over the country, including Southern CA, Denver, and the Southeast. I've lived in the Front Range off and on for 20 or so years. The weather Denver's experienced the last month is NOT normal. It does regularly snow here in the winter but not to the extent and frequency of the last month. That being said, the weather here, obviously, is not like Southern CA. If you're expecting that type of weather here in the winter time, forget about it. Yes, Denver does in fact have mild winters, but in comparison to the Midwest and Northeast from Virginia to Maine, not CA. Anyone who's lived in those overcast, bone chilling areas and in Denver knows what I mean. Now the Southeast does have a higher average winter temp and less snow. But they have less sun and believe me, 45 degrees in Atlanta or North Carolina feels like 25 degrees in Denver with the sun and humidity difference. The southeast also has ice storms, which in my opinion and experience are far more troubling and dangerous than snow storms.

There is no perfect place. CA may have weather as close to perfect as possible, but it also has a myriad of problems, probably the greatest being unaffordability. A house in a decent area is 600k and higher, which equals a conventionally financed mortgage payment of 4200-4500/month. You can get a similar place in Denver's burbs for 40% of that. Do the math and notice you save about $2000 a month. Yes, somethings are more money in Denver but overall the cost of living is far lower here and that makes the hassle of winter snowfall worth it in my opinion. You can go to Phoenix but let me illustrate a difference in weather extremes between CO and AZ. On MOST winter days in Denver, you'll notice people walking around outside . You'll NEVER find anyone, except for the insane, walking around noontime in Phoenix in the summer months. The summer months here, in my opinion, are even nicer than So CA because it's greener here, the trees are full of leaves, and it rains on occasion, which I like but others may not. Thunderstorms are great too

One last thing, there's a number of Denver people who like to scare potential relocaters away by making the place's weather worse than it is. Again, it isn't Southern CA weather but it sure as heck isn't Antartica, Chicago or even Washington DC. I don't know of a cleaner city with the recreational possibilities and quality of people of this place.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 AM

264 posts, read 1,278,045 times
Thanks VOZ for a nice, balanced perspective I really appreciate an honest assessment.
I'm from So. Cal looking for another place to live, and let's face it, no one is going to have the same weather as here. I hate the heat, so I'm more than willing to trade off for some cold winters and snow. When the weather is always in the 70's and 80's, it does get old after a good number of years. Really! Everyone I know that lives or has lived in the greater Denver area says this year's storms aren't the norm so I tend to believe them. Of course anywhere is going to have weather extremes sometimes.
It seems to me that Denver might be a good trade-off when all is said and done.
Thanks again for your perspective.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,763,031 times
Thanks VOZ, I was getting a little scared, if we are making good choice at looking at Denver or not. But I feel a little better after reading your comments.

Are there any Florida transplants that have any comments about their transitions to living in Denver, I would love to hear some.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:13 AM

41 posts, read 145,603 times
Default Sunlover

It has been said many times before that Colorado has 300 days of sunshine a year. From a Cali perspective, sun also mostly means at least warmth or heat. In Colorado, I'm becoming clear that sun means light and the elated mood it brings but that does not necessarily mean heat outside. If I were to lay out outside to soak up some sun, when in the year would that begin and end? This would clarify to me when I can feel some resemblance to the weather I'm used to and can prepare myself for the lifestyle I need to adapt to. I will be moving for certain in a year and a half when my daughter graduates from I high school.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:23 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,963,738 times
I'm from Miami Beach and I lived in Boulder in the 90's. My husband and I live in Florida currently (Port St. Lucie) but we're moving to Colorado as soon as our house sells.

I agree with Voz's take on things. It's unrealistic to think there won't be snow, a lot on ocassion, but compared to the northeast and northern midwest the winters are indeed mild. The sun makes a huge difference as does the lack of humidity. These recent blizzards are a fluke. You might get one every winter or every couple of winters but not so much in a short time. When it snows it usually melts away quickly, at least on the roads. There will be snow on the lawns a lot of the time...but that's what it's like in winter. Unless you live in Florida, California or Arizona you'll have some snow. It definitely gets very cold sometimes but you get the right clothes to keep you warm and you get used to it. It's a different lifestyle. I had no problem with the weather, coming from Miami Beach. Winter weather has its pluses and minuses. It's cold and the snow can be a pain to shovel and it's a pain de-icing your car's windshield in the morning (if you don't have a garage) but there's also sledding, skiing, hot chocalate by a roasting fire, white Christmases, the beauty of a white blanket of snow covering everything. It can be beautiful and magical.

That said, some people coming from warm winter climates can adjust, some can't. It depends on the person. I had no problem myself.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyfromCali View Post
If I were to lay out outside to soak up some sun, when in the year would that begin and end? This would clarify to me when I can feel some resemblance to the weather I'm used to and can prepare myself for the lifestyle I need to adapt to. .
Remember, you're a mile high in Denver. You can definitely feel the sun.
I've caught some rays in a bikini as early as March. I've worn shorts and picked tomatoes as late as mid-October. It just depends.

Quote:
One last thing, there's a number of Denver people who like to scare potential relocaters away by making the place's weather worse than it is.
I dunno if Voz is focused on me or Loveboating or whoever, but I like to think that I give Denver weather a fair shake: the good as well as the bad.
Someone who is relocating does not want sugarcoated feel-good fantasy, they want facts.
This winter is indeed very unusual--but early/late freezes and/or snows are not--they are a harsh reality.
The thing that got old for me was how late into spring it would snow.
The important thing to remember about Colorado is that even when it gets bad, it gets *good* again pretty soon. For new transplants, the novelty of the winter weather (as well as the ephemeral quality of it) might make the transition work out okay.

Autumn First Freeze Information

First Freeze Last 8 Years:
September 18, 2006
October 5, 2005
October 14,2004
September 14, 2003
October 4, 2002
October 5, 2001
September 20, 2000
September 28, 1999

Autumn First Snow Information

First Measurable Snow Last 8 Years: October 18, 2006
October 10, 2005
November 1, 2004
November 5, 2003
October 24, 2002
October 5, 2001
September 23, 2000
September 28, 1999

Spring Last Freeze Information

Latest Freeze for the past 8 Years:
May 10, 2006
May 12, 2005
May 14, 2004
May11, 2003
May 24, 2002
May 21, 2001
May 13, 2000
May 17, 1999

Spring Snow Information

Date of Last Measurable Snow Last 8 Years: May 10, 2006
May 2, 2005
April 30, 2004
May 10, 2003
May 24, 2002
April 21, 2001
April 16, 2000
April 23, 1999

Old 01-26-2007, 10:08 AM

41 posts, read 145,603 times
Thank you Tao and Cil. I gather then that on average, some warmth can be felt about 5 months out of the year. In my mind, that is doable. I'll just have to plan most of my vacation time in the winter to get some relief if I began to feel that the winter drones on a bit too long. I've lived in mild weather (read California, Southeast Asia) all my life. I am ready to try living in a four season environment, a positive change and experience that would round out my life experience. I am outdoorsy also so I will be learning some new sports it looks like.

What about gardening? Tomato growing was mentioned. I am an avid gardener.
I would like to grow tomatoes and veggies in the warm period of the year. That is feasible right? Greenhouse gardening also? Gardening experiences would be appreciated. Is there threads in this forum on this topic? Please guide me to it or other Colorado gardening forums if you know any. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or